Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External harddrive problem

• 28-02-2011 10:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 836 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone can help? I had an xbox elite and traded it in for a Super Elite in June 2010. I left it into gamestop and they transferred over my data for me. Now I have moved house in the last week and I have no Internet connection. If I try to watch a movie from my EXTERNAL hard-drive I get told I need to update the xbox.

Has there been an update in the last week? A friend of mine mentioned something about gamestop messing up and not transferring "my licence" but I have no idea what he is on about.

Do any of you guys have any ideas? Basically it won't play a movie from my EXTERNAL harddrive unless it is connected to xbox live.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sarah88

had the same problem only yesterday, its not only a problem with your xbox, I assumed it was a media update for the particular film i wanted to watch. has happended to me a few times before aswell. Sorry have solution other then download the updates somehow;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 836 ✭✭✭j14

It has the latest update on it.

Basically:

When connected to Xbox LIVE: movie plays

NOT connected to Xbox LIVE: movie wont play and it says the xbox needs to be updated.

I have no idea what to do....

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Splender1

You need to be connected to xbox live to watch any movies from your external hard drive.
    Do what i did, get yourself a media player and forget about using your xbox. The Asus O!play is perfect and it plays all sorts of movie file types including hi-def!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-1080p-HDP-R1-Internet-Streamer/dp/B002OQPBVQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299086075&sr=8-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭okla

j14 wrote: »
    It has the latest update on it.

Basically:

When connected to Xbox LIVE: movie plays

NOT connected to Xbox LIVE: movie wont play and it says the xbox needs to be updated.

I have no idea what to do....

Did you try the licence transfer tool on the xbox site ??
    Here is the link if you didn't http://www.xbox.com/en-IE/Support/LicenseMigration/Home
    If this still doesnt fix it i suggest bringing it around to a mates who has web access and creating a silver account and downloading the "Optional Media Update".
    This along with the licence transfer tool fixed any problems I had after I traded my elite in for a slim.
    Hope this helps:D

Advertisement