Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HELP with Wi Fi Radio Problem

• 28-02-2011 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi, I have a Roberts 83i Wi Fi Radio which was working fine up until last night when the system screen started displaying error message 'Cannot open selected media' when BBC Radio 4 and BBC 5 Live (which I have on preset buttons) are selected. The strange thing is I can still listen to podcasts on these stations and also to other BBC stations . Has anyone had a similar experience over the last two days or any ideas what the problem might be.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Captainie

I also have a Roberts 83i (excellent internet radio) Again no BBC3 or 4 since yesterday -no connection. World Service is working. Have tried the other BBCs 1,2,5live etc. Again wont work. Have no idea why. Hope it is only temporary glitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 pman1

Hi, thanks for that, at least I know is not just my radio. I have emailed Roberts and just received the following reply

Thank you for your e-mail regarding your Stream 83i.

I am sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing with the BBC stations.

We became aware of this issue yesterday and our developers are investigating.
    We hope to have a resolution soon, we hope it won't be too long.

In the mean time all I can ask is if you could be patient and try the stations from time to time as the problem may resolve itself, this kind of problem often does.

I hope this is of some help.

Thats sounds very hopeful. Fingers crossed!

Do you happen to have any good recomendations of any good websites that gives lists / reviews / recommendations etc for Worldwide radio stations, or good sites for podcasts. Also, is it just me or do you find the Frontier site that Roberts links into very poor with very limited functionality, a bit disappointing to link such a good radio with such a crap site ?.

I havent found anything more than some websites that just list station names by country etc eg www.live-radio.net. Some stations that I enjoy a lot are CBC1 in Canada, Radio Australia and Radio New Zealand both internatonal and national versions (really excellent), Radio Netherlands Worldwide, Deutshe Welle English, RTHK3 Hong Kong, WGBH Boston. Trial and error so far. I also have added a good few classical music stations to my favorites list. The Frontier site is functional but is no good for getting recomendations. So far for me its been trial and error, I only have radio about a month. Happy hunting!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

if you guys have the stations preset, it might be set to the old realaudio format which has been discontinued. Did you try manually navigating to the station?

Yeah, tried manually and various different ways but still no joy.

Hi TBH, thanks for message, but I tried all the BBCs ie1,2,3,4,5,6,7,plus the 'extras' and no joy - message is cannot connect (have only BBC3 and 4 on my presets + World Service which does work). I dont know!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 MorrisMinor

Same here, also have a Roberts 83i, was working up until Sunday (27th). Can't get BBC Radio 7 or BBC Radio 4. Can get all other Radio stations on the internet radio.
    BBC Radio 4 seems to have a mind of its own - comes back every now and again.

Seems like it's an issue with the radios and BBC Radio stations??? Wonder if it's just in Ireland or in UK as well? :confused:

Frustrating, however hopefully problem is only temporary. How do you find the Roberts 83i? I am really impressed,(my first ever Internet radio) as long as you use Frontier site to set up your own favourites etc. I genuinely am impresssed with audio quality. I use the radio in bedroom, going to sleep, and morning. Hope BBCs will come back soon.

• Advertisement

I'll check it out on the 202 this evening, in the meantime, a similar issue on the 202 a while ago was fixed by a firmware update - worth a try

http://www.robertsradio.co.uk/assets/FAQs/STREAM202.pdf

Well, I bought it for my partner who is obsessed with BBC Radio 4!!! He even went to the point of getting another satellite dish for the garage so he could listen to it while he was out there!! :eek: He discovered BBC Radio 7 in the garage and wanted it in the house so bought it for him for Christmas via Amazon. Reviews on Amazon were very good.

We also have it in the bedroom, he listens to it in the morning and during the day and we were surprised that it didn't download more data than suggested on websites. He also set up some wireless speakers so we can listen in the kitchen. He's VERY particular about sound systems and hasn't complained once about this radio, loves the sound on it.
    He's also SO non-technical, :o but once we setup the radio stations online so he can access them on the radio, he loves it, so imagine his frustration when it kept saying "Cannot connect to selected media" on his BBC Radio stations!

The only thing he complains about is the amount of time it takes to connect to the radio stations, but that could be our Broadband connection rather than anything else!

How are you finding it?

TBH - Yeah, I thought of that too, we checked it on the radio and it's saying we have the latest firmware, so in our case, it's not that, unless Roberts release another one on foot of this issue. I couldn't find the problem on any other websites, so think it might be just an issue in Ireland? Maybe something similar to the IP address block put on the BBC iPlayer? I emailed them anyway, the more emails they get, the more chance they might have a look at it :D

I find it takes approx 10 seconds to connect to a station with the Roberts 83i. Im on Eircom. Supposedly on 8MG but never get more than just over 3MG.

Captainie wrote: »
    I find it takes approx 10 seconds to connect to a station with the Roberts 83i. Im on Eircom. Supposedly on 8MG but never get more than just over 3MG.

don't forget that a couple of those seconds will be buffering as well - if you plug out your router, playback will continue for about five seconds

Problem is still there,it is definitely the Radio as all BBC radio stations are coming through fine online.

I agree, takes time to buffer, but the other half being so impatient and non-techie, wants it immediately! (none of this loading and buffering stuff - why can't it work just like normal radios!!! :rolleyes:)

Yeah, we tried the same last night. Works from the satellite and from my laptop, just not on the radio.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I wake up to BBC R4 on the Roberts 202, no issues unless my internet is arsey in which case it defaults to buzzer mode. I've WS as another preset, some other BBCs in My Favourites through Wifi Frontier. When was the old realaudio format killed off? Are there any implications from this, or if nothing happens are you grand? :confused:

Aha, looks like issue might be resolved shortly!!! :D

Reply from Roberts:

"Roberts Radio is aware of problems when accessing BBC internet radio streams on the Stream 83i following some recent changes to playlists made by the BBC. We are testing a new version of firmware which will be released to customers' radios in the next few days in order to address this problem."

Thanks, MorrisMinor. That sounds very hopeful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 wetsleet

From over here in England I can confirm that we have the same problem with all BBC stations (except BBC World Service, for some reason).
    Sometimes, curiously, if I re-try many times, I can get BBC R4 to play. Once playing it continues without problem, but reselecting it again causes it to fall over. Yet all the BBC podcasts seem unaffected.

As to buffereing times, they are quite lengthy, and that is on a decent cable broadband connection. The wife's Pure Evoke is much quicker, but any advantage is dissipated by the time it takes to navigate Pure's Byzantine menu structure. The Roberts 83i beats the Pure Evoke by a mile, in my estimation.

you all might be interested in this thread, just so as you know you are not alone:
    http://www.yournetradio.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=160

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Was having the same problem myself with BBC radio on my 83i.

If I reattempted it often enough, it might eventually work. More often not though!

Good to see there's new firmware in the making. Thanks for the information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

Is there any way to get these stations in mp3 format,as my radio will only play mp3 format streams ?

John85 wrote: »
    Is there any way to get these stations in mp3 format,as my radio will only play mp3 format streams ?

The following link might enlighten, rather than help.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/radiolabs/2010/03/realmedia_follow_up.shtml#P95121324

The problem is now fixed, a new firmware is available. Just make sure you don't suffer a power failure during the upgrade process!

Thanks for that - will update the firmware!!

I got an email back from Roberts earlier today just informing me about the software update. If you go to system settings and to software update and follow on screen instructions it should sort out the problem.Make sure that the power supply is not interrupted during this process as apparently this can permanently damage the system.

Thank you pman1 and to all the contributers. Have done my update and BBCs are working fine. Am really delighted. Fair play to Roberts, I think the 83i is one of the best buys I have ever treated myself to.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

pman1 wrote: »
    I got an email back from Roberts earlier today just informing me about the software update. If you go to system settings and to software update and follow on screen instructions it should sort out the problem.Make sure that the power supply is not interrupted during this process as apparently this can permanently damage the system.
    I didn't even need to do that - as soon as I turned on my 83i this evening, it prompted me to Y/N a software update.

BBC radio now working fine again!

Happy days for all,:o hopefully!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bbcradiofan

I have the same problem here. In Australia. With a Kogan internet radio. ie 'cannot open selected media' re BBC radio 4 and 3, both of which I have on presets. It started 3 or 4 days ago.

Well, was hoping it would be ok, but it seems after the update, all the radio stations have been wiped!!

Haven't had a good look yet (my partner did the update :rolleyes:) so although he got BBC Radio 4 through the last listened to menu, he couldn't find Radio 7 :(

It'll probably be something simple - will check it out when I get home.

Hi MorrisMinor,
    hope you and your partner are enjoying the BBC's again. So far so good here in Dublin. BBC3 and BBC4 (my favourites) seem perfect. Happy days :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 musicphile

Hi All,
    Got a new Roberts 83i mainly to be able to get BBC radio but keep getting message 'cannot open selected media'.

Is there any progress in fixing this problem or can anyone help please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bbcradiofan

Hi, you need to get the software update from Roberts. That should fix it. BBC changed some sort of setting so all the manufacturers had to provide update. I saw from other posts that Roberts had provided one. Kogan certainly, although it took a while. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 musicphile

Hi
    Many thanks.
    Got the update and its sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Satts

I'm thinking of buying one of these.

Any news of an updated model coming out soon ?

Advertisement