Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 Minute Chocolate Mug Cake

Options
  • 28-02-2011 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭

I saw this recipe a while ago and it was amazing for a number of reasons. It's easy, cheap, tastes amazing and most of all, it's chocolate cake that takes literally 5 minutes. :pac:

4 tablespoons flour
    4 tablespoons sugar
    2 tablespoons cocoa
    1 egg
    3 tablespoons milk
    3 tablespoons oil
    3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)
    A small splash of vanilla essence

- Take the largest mug you have, make sure it's big enough to ensure all your ingredients can be fully mixed through.
    - Put the flour, sugar and cocoa in the mug and mix slightly.
    - Add the egg to start binding the dry ingredients together and mix well.
    - Next add your milk and oil to the cup and mix extremely well. Get the mixture to a batter like consistency.
    - Add a small drop of vanilla essence and if you have them, chocolate chips. If not, crushed chocolate works fine.
    - Give it one last mix et voila.
    - Put the mug into the microwave for 3 minutes. I put it in for 3 minutes @ 800 Watts and it was cooked but still nicely gooey in the center. Don't be alarmed if it starts to rise above the top of the mug, that just means it's working!
    - Take the mug and cut around the edge of the mug and place the cake into a bowl, or for extreme laziness, eat straight from the mug!

Enjoy your 5 minute chocolate cake. It's possibly the easiest chocolate cake recipe I've ever seen. Okay, it's not the fanciest but it gets the job done!

Enjoy.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I feel the need to add a health warning to that post, because each serving of that cake has 950 calories! Just something to bear in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

Are you serious? Woww, not also the easiest cake recipe but the deadliest as well.. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭ciara95

Did you like it?
    I made it a while ago and it was DISGUSTING!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

What kind of oil did you use?

Faith, how did you calculate the calories, did you use fit day or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Gingersnaps

I presume that's "self raising" flour? (I'm new to baking)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I've seen a few threads on that type of 5min chocolate mug cake and it seems to be very hit and miss, I recall there were people posting up their photos of what theirs turns out like and some were grand, some were a mess, some over cooked, some under cooked.
    Possibly a recipe that requires a bit of fiddling about with.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

ciara95 wrote: »
    Did you like it?
    I made it a while ago and it was DISGUSTING!!

I've made 2. One was decent enough, the other was a bit off... It's a bit hit and miss.

Vegetable Oil. It's just a replacement for the butter/margarine. Any oil would do.
    I presume that's "self raising" flour? (I'm new to baking)

Either or. I used plain flour and it worked fine. They both work fine.
    star-pants wrote: »
    I've seen a few threads on that type of 5min chocolate mug cake and it seems to be very hit and miss, I recall there were people posting up their photos of what theirs turns out like and some were grand, some were a mess, some over cooked, some under cooked.
    Possibly a recipe that requires a bit of fiddling about with.

I completely agree. This recipe is by no means set in stone, fiddle about with it until you fine what you like.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

caloriecount.about.com

You enter a recipe and the number of servings, and it calculates the nutritional value. It's a handy tool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Zaixora

I would make this using cheating ingredients so that it would have way less calories. Instead of oil I used 0 calorie butter and apple sauce. It drastically cuts the 360 calorie oil for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

What brand of butter has 0 cals? Applesauce sounds like a nice idea could improve the flavour. Have tried this or at least a similar microwave mug cake recipe before and it was yukky. Mind you it doesn't take any longer to make up a chocolate sponge cake cooking time is longer but not long at all really.
    Or Nigellas chocohotopots 15 mins in the oven and so much nicer..heart attack stuff though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement