Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things you can do down the country that you can't do in Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

rain on wrote: »
    Borrow your husband's car while yours is in the garage and have people you don't know raising their fingers off the steering wheel at you because they recognise each other by their cars

Hang on , if said sriver fails to recognse that the person driving is a different gender, they should NOT be on the road!
    Odysseus wrote: »
    You can walk along a country road with your shotgun not in its case; but the barrels open so it is clear to all that it is safe and unloaded. Either on my way to or back from a feild I was hunting in, but I cannot do so in a high populated area, it has to be covered a case. I often see people walking on public roads in the country like that or with a pump or semi which cannot be broken open, I have an O/U so it's broken open if I'm on a public road. Though generally I would have it in a gun sock unless I'm just moving a couple of hundred meters to a different peice of land.

However, if I was to walk from my mothers in Ballyfermot with a shotgun in the open I would be lifted quite quickly, as it is an offense; and you bet people would be on their phones about the guy in combat gear walking down the road with a shot gun.

However, they may ring Joe Duffy first depending on the time of the day;)

It's only an offense in Dublin, or you break the law down the country...?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

I'm amazed at how accurate this list is. Including my butchers name being Michael!

And as for raising the finger at cars passing ya....im guilty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭davetherave

You can do all of those things in Dublin, bar the two Thurles things.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Bobjims

Get the intermittent smell of cow ****e while driving through the countryside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

OhMeOhMy wrote: »
    Leave your back door unlocked for the neighbours to come and go

Some country bumpkins really are an easy target because they think crime doesn't exist and that not bothering to lock your doors is a good idea.

Also, why anyone wants their neighbours to come and go at will and without warning I have no idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The-Rigger wrote: »

Also, why anyone wants their neighbours to come and go at will and without warning I have no idea.

Danger ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Bykobap

Bobjims wrote: »
    Get the intermittent smell of cow ****e while driving through the countryside.
    Aaaaaahh the smell of home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭Balfie

Wait on a crossroads for someone to come along.
    Leave your change on the bar.
    Play a game of pool with a couple of young lads.
    Lose, and buy a bottle of red lemonade for the winners.
    Buy a bottle of red lemonade.
    Ask a complete stranger has he a tip for the 4.40 at Navan.
    Rub your hands together when a plate of stew is put in front of you.
    Blame Dublin.
    Elect Michael Lowry.
    Be told by your Auntie, that the only reason that you're getting stew at all is because "Your mother's a friend of mine"
    Wash up
    Go to Mass
    See your great-auntie Brid
    Wait at a different crossroads
    Bond with your uncle who has an accumlator going.
    Tell everyone that your mam is grand.
    Visit a cemetary.
    Waste half an hour chatting a girl up only to find she's your cousin.
    Give out about your closest neighbours
    Get the roide in Hayes' hotel while explaining to a young one how it was all fields down there.
    Go to mass.
    Fry up everything that couldn't walk from the previous night.
    Miss your cousins.
    Be strangely sad on the train.

Stare down a butcher. "Those chops are a bit fatty Michael"
    Be beady-eyed.
    Win two extra chops.
    So AHer's what have I missed?

Wait. You have stew on a plate an try to slag us Dublin people? What's next butter ur bread with a spoon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Hang on , if said sriver fails to recognse that the person driving is a different gender, they should NOT be on the road!

:o Maybe it's also the case that only in the country do you get driving instructors with the motto "Look at the space, not at the face"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

It's only an offense in Dublin, or you break the law down the country...?

No it's an offense in a highly populated area, whereas a rural country road isn't.

That's my understanding of it, the guys in the shooting forum can explain it much better as some of them know the firearms act backwards, I just know what I need to in order to stay legal. The same way you need to be a safe distance from a road to discharge your firearm, as I was pointing out to the poster I quoted.

It's a person choice but I waited until I have my own place in the country before I started geting my firearms, you need to be much more security conscious certain parts of Dublin

No it's an offense in a highly populated area, whereas a rural country road isn't.

That's my understanding of it, the guys in the shooting forum can explain it much better as some of them know the firearms act backwards, I just know what I need to in order to stay legal. The same way you need to be a safe distance from a road to discharge your firearm, as I was pointing out to the poster I quoted.

It's a person choice but I waited until I have my own place in the country before I started geting my firearms, you need to be much more security conscious certain parts of Dublin

Fairy nuff.

Bit strange though: you feel safer down the country, but you need firearms?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Balfie wrote: »
    Wait. You have stew on a plate an try to slag us Dublin people? What's next butter ur bread with a spoon?

Cos its proper tick matey stuw that doesnt run off the plate, not like that watery sh*te yer dublin mammy passed off as stew because she couldnt get mate an vegables.You were only drinking soup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

You can buy Red lemonade in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Drink three bottles of whiskey and have a drunken struck-off vet remove your appendix for 5 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Balfie wrote: »

Ya amazing we have plates and stew that isn't as runny as water due to mammy adding extra potatoes to thicken it up.
    rain on wrote: »
    :o Maybe it's also the case that only in the country do you get driving instructors with the motto "Look at the space, not at the face"

WTF:confused:
    Fairy nuff.

For hunting, shooting random rats and crows(both are pests for the tree huggers from D4) and shooting at the random Dublin person trying to rob our house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Share Shear a sheep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Win All Irelands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

join the local scor/foroige..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

walk around covered in shite whilst talking bollox and nobody bats an eyelid

walk around covered in shite whilst talking bollox and nobody bats an eyelid

Again, people do that in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Drive over 'loose chippings' with thumb pressed against the windscreen
    Enter a pub in wellies covered in shoite
    Pop out to local shop to get 20 Benson and Sunday World in a Massey Ferguson 35....covered in shoite
    Running through a fields kicking the head of thistles and slipping in cowshoite
    See moving statues
    Be told not to go down to the river the strange uncle we all have
    Enter any public place wearing wellies covered in shoite
    Rent VHS tapes from 'John Joe's' and get your hair cut there too....covered in shoite
    See several old Toyota Corolla E30s lined up outside mass...covered in shoite
    Mass
    Dinner cooked on a 'range'
    Getting hit in the head with a badly aimed sod of turf

starling. wrote: »
    Er, I've crossed off all the things that you can do in Dublin. I could probably cross off more, except I'm unsure as to the availability of red lemonade in the Pale, I don't know what an accumulator is and I'm confused about the winning two extra chops thing. :confused:

About the leaving your change on the bar, you never specified that it shouldn't be stolen :pac:

And you put in mass twice, God love you :p They're not all heathens up there I believe!

I'll add to your now very tiny list anyway...

• Go visit landmarks which aren't in Dublin like the Blarney Stone and the Cliffs of Moher.
    • Complain about jackeens (though actually I suppose you can do that quietly in Dublin :D

most if not all pubs ive been in in dublin have red and white lemonade. the pub i used to work in had a snug where the folk who drank in it were all part of a drinking group, of which i was a member. we regularly left our money on the bar and it wasnt touched

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Fairy nuff.

I feel safe in Dublin, my firearms are for sporting reasons, you cannot get a cert for self protection. If I lived in the part of Ballyfermot where I grew up I would be much more security conscious, rather than feeling unsafe.

However, with saying that I have quite a high level of security in my own home, but these are requirements I needed to get my firearms. For example you need a gun safe in order to legally own a air rifle in this country. As you move up in terms of caliber and the amount you own the security requirements become much stronger. I have three safes in my home just for hunting, a gunsafe for the firearms, a small safe for various ammo, and another for the mags and bolts for my rifles, that is without the monitored alarm.

However, even though I feel the system is too severe over here, owning firearms does require a strong responsibility on the owner to ensure they are safe and only the owner has access to them.

I only have to walk about 500m and I'm in some fields where I can hunt using either rifle or shotgun.

I can't do that in Dublin.

I only have to walk about 500m and I'm in some fields where I can hunt using either rifle or shotgun.

I can't do that in Dublin.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2282/2071720646_ebd59fa0bd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭LambsEye

Get your car engine checked by a fella with a B&H fag hanging out of his mouth
    Relay your identity by to whom you are related
    Do your lessons, sipping a mineral while your mam goes out to get the messages
    Not being allowed go into the "good" room until Christmas
    +1 for the thumb firmly on the windscreen to prevent cracks
    +1 for throwin up the hand to every passing car
    Collect conkers, play conkers

flahavaj wrote: »
    Win All Irelands.

actually give a flying **** about all Irelands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

LambsEye wrote: »
    Get your car engine checked by a fella with a B&H fag hanging out of his mouth
    Relay your identity by to whom you are related
    Do your lessons, sipping a mineral while your mam goes out to get the messages
    Not being allowed go into the "good" room until Christmas
    +1 for the thumb firmly on the windscreen to prevent cracks
    +1 for throwin up the hand to every passing car
    Collect conkers, play conkers

That's a vortex back to my childhood.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

give neighbours a hand to cut sticks/move cattle..

what i have discovered since moving to arklow from dublin -

if you sneeze at one end of the main street you have AIDS by the time you make it to the other end
    its extremely clannish
    everyone knows everyone
    the living is cheap
    there is a massive over supply of fast food delivery places
    traffic is impossible around half 3 because the town is blocked by bus eireann buses picking up all the school kids
    every pub does food but never seems busy

Badminton/Bridge in the Parish Hall the highlight of the social calender
    98 year old men painting gates/cutting back hedges

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Obviously you are just trolling by posting this thread in a Dublin forum.

AH does not belong to Dublin! Do you think the interweb gets switched off at 10pm outside the Pale?

Shooting a cow in the face
    Picture of Jesus and an orange blub in the living room
    Walking back from pub only being able to see via the power of moonlight
    Priest calls around for dinner on a Wednesday
    You have a 'shick' that has handy uses
    Own at least 4 dogs and 13 cats
    Have a large bucket you fire all the dinner leftovers into to feed the chickens
    Have a pantry
    Have eyebrows on your cheeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

get arrested for dealing in broad daylight

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭reddevilfan

Fine tune your ears ( aerials ) and call upc saying your connction is terrible

Monkeh wrote: »
    Shooting a cow in the face
    Picture of Jesus and an orange blub in the living room and a little thing of holy water beside the door that granny flicks in your face as you leave
    Sticker of Padre Pio in the car
    Walking back from pub only being able to see via the power of moonlight
    Priest calls around for dinner on a Wednesday and him getting the best cut of mate and the first spoon of crumble
    You have a 'shick' that has handy uses
    Own at least 4 dogs and 13 cats
    Have a large bucket you fire all the dinner leftovers into to feed the chickens
    Have a pantry with tins of canned pears and peaches
    Have eyebrows on your cheeks

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Thats why ye don't win 'em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

Go to the beach.

Edit: A nice beach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Running your car on green diesel
    Start every sentence with the phrase "As the Man sez"
    Smoke Carrolls or Major
    Drink Smithwicks
    Call all alcoholic spirits "top-shelf"
    Buy livestock in a pub
    Sing rebel songs
    Dig graves
    Fill in graves
    Bring your own home-made sandwiches to away GAA games
    Hating people with long hair
    Giving out about the Black and Tans
    Go to Australia
    Quoting Hardy Bucks catchphrases
    Calling Tea - "Tay" and Meat - "Mate"
    Stare at strangers
    Hating people from the neighbouring parish
    Coursing
    Lamping
    Drink Driving

Doing all the above in wellies covered in cow sh!t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

Calling Tea - "Tay" and Meat - "Mate"

Tae!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

I'm dying for a sup o' tae :).

Old school- pouring the tae into a saucer to cool it down, abandoning the cup altogether and drinking from the saucer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭s3129

Spending the summer sittin on the spare seat of the tractor while my boyfriend was balin and wrappin bales!

Fun times...............................................................

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Go turning turf
    Go stacking turf
    Go bagging turf
    Bring the turf home
    Keep the house warm for the year with the back boiler, heated by only your own turf on the range.
    Only have to buy 200 liters of kerosene a year, only using it to heat the house in the mornings or when ya get back from town/work/school in the middle of the day.

Get a mad tan, up the bog.
    Get home and half a shower only to see half your tan disappear down the drain!
    Bring the .22 with you to the bog on the hope of seeing a few rabbits.
    Bring the o&u to the bog in the hope of a few ducks/geese passing over.
    Sit on a quay wall having pints delivered from a pub across the road with a rod, fishing for eels on a nice cool night.
    Get the outboads onto the 14ft and go for a spin up the lake for a swim on a warm summer day.
    Get the engine on the rib and give it socks down the river to clonmacnoise on a hot summer day.
    Go wakeboadring and tubing on the inner lakes, doesnt have to be particularly warm, wetsuits are great.
    Catch 25lb pike as if it was anormal thing, under a bypass!
    Bring the dog for a walk, for 5 miles round trip through unbroken open land.
    Go to the army range, watch while they practice and annoy the C.O. To try get a go of the styer,
    Tell him your hunting rifle would be far more accurate anyway when he tells you to eff off.
    Get lost in a forest for a few hours.
    go camping on an island with 5 or 6 lads for a weekend bringing only water, bread, a few bits and peices and a camp stove and your fishing rods and a .22 to catch the dinner.
    Have 3 day parties on an island with the owners consent. Equipt with a generator, kegs + cooler and gass, full p.a. system, stage and musical equiptment!
    Not have to worry about the Gardai breaking up said party because the sargets son is one of the lads organising the party, and its on a fecking island in the middle of a lake.
    Lock yourself out of the house and not have to worry about it because you left the spare key with the neighbours.
    Walk into any pub within 5 miles of your house alone and know at least 3 of the lads at the bar and the barman.
    Go drinking on a saturday night while in 6th year in school and run into your principle and have a pint with him while he asks how your grandparents are keeping.
    Win a provincial schools cup and get free drinks, food and nightclub access for the following month.
    Beat garbley or sligo grammar in a rugby match once every 2 or 3 years and feel like you won the world cup.
    Walk into school on a monday morning as slag the lad sitting beside you because you got the shift from his cousin whos in NUIG in the nightclub on the saturday night.
    Go out for a night with 25 euro, get a few drinks, into a club and not hav to worry about getting home.
    Not having to apply for jobs formally because you know a lad working there already.
    Meet someone you know, no matter what part of the fecking world you are in. Or at least meet someone who knows your auld lad.
    Be pulled by a Gardai only to be told your new car is looking well and l
    Drive off with him shouting 'thee your mammy I was asking for her!'.
    Sit in the beer garden in Sean's bar on a mad hot july day sipping ice cold cider and talk ****e with
    Lads you hadnt seen since the summer before.
    Meet all the lads you went to school with every St. Stephen's night in a bar in town.
    Kick lumps out of a lad from another parish on a field on a sunday morning and then chat away to him the next morning in school.
    Kick lumps out of a lad from another school on your schools field on a wednesday afternoon and then go for a pint with him on the friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Easy to know Dublin haven't won one in a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 anon01

get your oul pair to ring one of the local pubs and tell them its allright for ya to drink down there when your 16

be drinking in the pub when your 16 and the owner comes up and asks you to run down the road to the nearest pub and get a keg of guinness cause they are out, then get free pints for the night and 50 quid

drive any car or tractor for the neighbours when your 13
    never lock the doors
    me neighbours letting me use their shotgun when ever i want
    helping neighbours with cattle/sheep/horses/chickens building stone walls
    letting me pet rabbit run round the garden then when shes done she wil go back in the hutch herself :)
    neighbours giving me dog loads steak
    drinking with all the ould lads in the pub and having a mad night
    lock ins till 5 in the morning then going back at 8 for a full irish and a pint
    smoking inside the pub
    wandering home with 3 pints for the walk back
    going off for the day exploring when your young
    knowing everyone and always being able to get a lift cause someone who knows you or your gran stops and gives ya a lift
    baling
    castrating cattle
    being able to walk up the road with the shotty in your hand and not worry about the guards
    the local guard asking you to go for a pint when he knows your only 17
    everybody knowing everyones business (annoying as hell)
    get a call from your neighbours and oul one to bring in the washing because rains coming
    be pulled out of school early because cattle broke out or need to be dosed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Not being a west brit bahahahahaha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Conor_M1990

Having six boys in the back of a commerical landcriuser

round up cattle with a jeep

getting served drink at 15 without been asked for id

Seeing her teachers round the town pished

finishing every sentence with "Lad"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Knowing how much wood a wood chuck would cut if the wood chuck did cut wood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Drive to work in 10 minutes.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭jimpump

shag some sheep :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Wait on a crossroads for someone to come along. i have often seen empty streets in dublin
    Leave your change on the bar. you could leave change but its likely to get knicked by a junkie but then again there is an increasing number of junkies living outside dublin so it makes no difference
    Play a game of pool with a couple of young lads.
    Lose, and buy a bottle of red lemonade for the winners.
    Buy a bottle of red lemonade. - can buy this in any tesco in dublin
    Ask a complete stranger has he a tip for the 4.40 at Navan. just go to any bookies
    Rub your hands together when a plate of stew is put in front of you.
    Blame Dublin. people still do that even when they live in dublin
    Elect Michael Lowry.
    Be told by your Auntie, that the only reason that you're getting stew at all is because "Your mother's a friend of mine"
    Wash up
    Go to Mass- can go to mass in dublin but most dubs dont like pedophile priests
    See your great-auntie Brid
    Wait at a different crossroads
    Bond with your uncle who has an accumulator going.
    Tell everyone that your mam is grand.
    Visit a cemetery. Glasnevin has a cemetery
    Waste half an hour chatting a girl up only to find she's your cousin. aint that a common occurrence in tallaght and clondalkin?
    Give out about your closest neighbours happens alot especially the loud ones
    Get the roide in Hayes' hotel while explaining to a young one how it was all fields down there.
    Go to mass.
    Fry up everything that couldn't walk from the previous night.
    Miss your cousins.
    Be strangely sad on the train.

Stare down a butcher. "Those chops are a bit fatty Michael"
    Be beady-eyed.
    Win two extra chops.
    So AHer's what have I missed?

• Advertisement
Advertisement