Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things you can do down the country that you can't do in Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

Speak English with an accent that people can understand :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

kingtut wrote: »
    Speak English with an accent that people can understand :pac:

i dunno about that...... there are some down in cork that are hard to understand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Go visit d'big schmoke once a year at Christmas

Tell everyone how great d'big schmoke really is

Ride the Luas for the first time with a smile bigger than a kid at disneyland

Ate hang sangwiches

Have a lock-in at your local while getting pished with pat shortt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Get selected to go on winning streak.
    Crash your car into a cow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

Things you can do down the country that you can't do in Dublin

Finger a sheep and get away with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Use the chat up lines of:

"So have you road frontage?" or "Whats your quota?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

i dunno about that...... there are some down in cork that are hard to understand

Ye but Cork people are usually a bit easier to understand on average. Thankfully I'm not from either place!

Have a **** in a field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

Legitimately moan about having **** all to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

say "how's she cuttin'?" as a greeting and sound normal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

AH does not belong to Dublin! Do you think the interweb gets switched off at 10pm outside the Pale?

Didn't know you had it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Have a neighbour call around in an aul Landcruiser to request that you "come help put a bush in a gap for a minute"

Said nieghbour willl then stop in a pub to buy you a pint as a reward. He buys you six. You are fifteen.

Make an absolute killing doing the bog for all the aul wans during the summer.

Experiencing your first shift, tit, finger, **** and maybe ride in the local graveyard.

Going down a hill on the bonnet of a car if there's a little snow

Builing the coolest hut ever built by anyone, ever, in the woods

Going for a walk when you are bored and realising that it's pretty cool that all you can hear is birds singing and bees buzzing and lots of cool lil animals running around doing animal things

Be known exclusively as "Young McGurk" by anyone 10 years older than you until you are 25

Listen to aul wans lament how they had to do everything by hand, like the bog and they hay, but they were more neighbourly and everyone helped each other. They had nathin' but were happy, not like today I tell ya

Have the vet bring a bottle of poitin every time he visits

Have the vet visit in the absence of there being anything wrong with an animal. He just needs a drink

Building feckin walls

Finding an old house in a woods. Breaking a window then run away screaming convinced you are being chased by a ghosht

Taking a morning stroll in a field, picking wild mushrooms and cooking them on top of the range with a bit of butter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

Wear a shirt with a pocket big enough to accomodate 20 Major

Buy 20 Major

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

Win a ham in a card drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    ... what, no public transport?

You ARE aware Dublin is coastal, right?

yes I am aware that Dublin is Coastal and there are loads of people walking along the beaches. I am talking about walking on a beach with nobody else there
    Seriosuly... big blue thing right beside it called "the sea".... check it out on a map...

You mean the big Blue thing with no fish on it? Seriously Fishing on the east coast is crap. esp around dublin.
    Assuming you enjoy 7-mile hikes after a night out
    No. I am talking about a 1 mile walk back to my house from the center of town, no nightlink, no waiting for taxis.
    Mass does NOT count as a "life"!!

I wasn't talking about mass. I don't go to mass. Very few of people I know are regular mass Goers

I should point out that I have lived in Dublin and it has many good points. I am just pointing out some of the good things about living outside Dublin there is no need to get defensive :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

sheesh wrote: »
    yes I am aware that Dublin is Coastal and there are loads of people walking along the beaches. I am talking about walking on a beach with nobody else there

You mean the big Blue thing with no fish on it? Seriously Fishing on the east coast is crap. esp around dublin.

No. I am talking about a 1 mile walk back to my house from the center of town, no nightlink, no waiting for taxis.

I wasn't talking about mass. I don't go to mass. Very few of people I know are regular mass Goers

I should point out that I have lived in Dublin and it has many good points. I am just pointing out some of the good things about living outside Dublin there is no need to get defensive :pac:

So have I! I've also lived in the country, and there was PLENTY of waiting for taxis at the end of the night - there were only three in the whole village (and a lot people lived six a few miles outside). You've obviously never been on Dollymount Strand or Booterstown beach with the tide out and exactly what constitutes as havign a life outside the pub in a way that it's different (I never said better or worse) than Dublin.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

Cow - Tipping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

-Having a 10 man Royal Rumble with your mates on top of a load of round bales when you're 12.

-Falling off round bales.

-The smell of slurry in April.

-Hearing the phrase "Shur he'll never get a second cut out of that"

-Flying down a freshly baled field on old 10-10-20 bags.

-Having a hurley that you actually play hurling with, and another that is specifically used to herd cattle and hit stones with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

So have I! I've also lived in the country, and there was PLENTY of waiting for taxis at the end of the night - there were only three in the whole village (and a lot people lived six a few miles outside).
    I am sorry for your troubles I was just describing my experiences. You experiences of living outside dublin may be different.

You've obviously never been on Dollymount Strand or Booterstown beach with the tide out
    Yes I have. Lots of people , nice walk though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

-Claim EU subsidies for livestock you don't own.

-Become completely paranoid of strangers in case "he's the man from the EU".

-Feed your cattle angel dust or the remains of dead livestock thinking it'll do no harm.

-Ignore warnings about Foot and Mouth disease. Go on RTE and cry when the government destroy your infected livestock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

flyton5 wrote: »
    -Claim EU subsidies for livestock you don't own.

-Become completely paranoid of strangers in case "he's the man from the EU".

-Feed your cattle angel dust or the remains of dead livestock thinking it'll do no harm.

-Ignore warnings about Foot and Mouth disease. Go on RTE and cry when the government destroy your infected livestock.

right, well all of that is absolute bs. Why go in to a thread that's a bit of craic and start spouting sh*t that is obviously just to piss people or, or if you believe makes you horrificly ill-informed?

but let me guess, you know this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

sheesh wrote: »
    I am sorry for your troubles I was just describing my experiences. You experiences of living outside dublin may be different.

Yes I have. Lots of people , nice walk though.

Ah, not somethign I have to worry about any more! Seriosuly, though, people live a lot more widespread inthe country making it generally harder to get home after a night out. Unless you drive, in which case you can't drink. Theoretically.

There was always people on the beaches in the West when I was there (mainly surfers) - I kinda liked it that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Take the back off the TV set to get to the little people inside, so that you can sell them on Ebarn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Appreciate a trip to the mart or creamery as a "day out".
    Have a pint of Cidona in the pub if you're underage.
    Sling things like your tea-leaves or an apple butt "behind the fire".
    Lean out the "half-door".
    Go to a hop.
    Go visiting and be given fresh ham.
    Drink tea from a bottle when baling.
    Catch frogs during baling.
    Wear old spice and brylcream to the pub "of an evening".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

right, well all of that is absolute bs. Why go in to a thread that's a bit of craic and start spouting sh*t that is obviously just to piss people or, or if you believe makes you horrificly ill-informed?

but let me guess, you know this

Alright cranky. It was a joke. This is AH right? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

drive to the pub along with the rest of village while talking on your mobile phone, drink all night long and at the end get back in your car and drive home safe in the knowledge that you will never get caught and no one else finds this unusual behaviour!

Wear old spice sweat and brylcream head-lice to the pub "of an evening".

Slight correction there. They'd probably be put in the stocks for smelling like a harlot if they went down the Old Spice route, or if they put the devil's cream on their hair.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Not have to deal with Dublin people.

suits us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

Surley wrote: »
    Raise a finger off the steering wheel at every car you pass

I believe they do that in dublin too, just a different finger :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

feel the mini-earthquakes when they're blastin down the road at the quarry.

have an audience of cows watch you as you play football out the back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

This. It's only a feckin city. you'd think they'd have better transport routes. I mean look at london. There's a few million more people and they have brilliant transport there. just grrr in general at dublin bus. used to always think how mad it is to spend something like 20 mins driving to work, but I spend an hour getting there myself now.

London - 7,556,900
    Dublin - 1,661,185

Big fecking difference

MajorMax wrote: »
    London - 7,556,900
    Dublin - 1,661,185

Big fecking difference

Stockholm 1.2 million, metro trams and busses and... get this... integrated tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i lived in both the country and dublin so i like both. most people here hate culchies/jackeens because there daddy told them too. i am pretty shocked the mods have let such a blatant anti-dublin thread continue to be honest. if this was an anti-country thread i wonder if it would last so long? i doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

FatherLen wrote: »
    i lived in both the country and dublin so i like both. most people here hate culchies/jackeens because there daddy told them too. i am pretty shocked the mods have let such a blatant anti-dublin thread continue to be honest. if this was an anti-country thread i wonder if it would last so long? i doubt it.

Of course it would.

PS Dublin's a shytehole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

What the **** does "down the country mean?

kraggy wrote: »

It's like Narnia to the Dubs, where they drive through big wardrobe doors on the outskirts of the city to reach it. Some of them venture through, but most of them sh1t their pants and go back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 workingstudent

Go to every funeral in surrounding areas even if you dont know the person..but you know some cousin or friend of theirs
    Have a dog run off with the sliothar in the middle of a hurling match

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭silverspoon

Experience the bone-tingling, panicky excitement of the cows getting loose.

Pain in the hole trying to get them back though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Attend at least 1 funeral a week and tell the grieving widow that “he looks happy”.
    Drive down the road at 40 kmph while all the time be looking into your neighbours fields and not once look at the road.
    Have no indicators on your timber trailer that you have since 1978 and repaired with pallets.
    Be still not talking to your neighbour because of the civil war.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

See the stars in the sky, and roar at the top of your voice without being heard!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Cow - Tipping

Spot the yank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

This. It's only a feckin city. you'd think they'd have better transport routes. I mean look at london. There's a few million more people and they have brilliant transport there. just grrr in general at dublin bus. used to always think how mad it is to spend something like 20 mins driving to work, but I spend an hour getting there myself now.

Because culchie politicians divert all the state's money to their hometowns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

goose2005 wrote: »
    Because culchie politicians divert all the state's money to their hometowns.

Except.. it's not there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Getting teary eyed and homesick for the country reading this thread.
    My contribution-

-Get a run on the Junior B team at 15 yrs old and end up marking some 45yr old lunatic that got a run for the county 25 yrs ago and could have made it but he couldnt stay off the drink.
    -Get a belt across the knuckles from the above the first time you try to catch the ball.
    -Get a dig in the ribs to slow you down a bit from the 45 yr old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Get stuck in the snow and actually have a few people come and help within minutes. And no they're not helping because the roads blocked and they cant get past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

listen to the death notices on the local radio station to find out if you have any funerals to go to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Surley wrote: »
    listen to the death notices on the local radio station to find out if you have any funerals to go to

And if your name isn't called out, you get up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭thomasj

Things you can do down the country?

What's wrong with the top half?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

go to the pub on mart day/court day because theyre the two busiest days in the town

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

RichieC wrote: »
    You can buy Red lemonade in Dublin.

You can, but going out of the shop with a variety of adult magazines under your arm would rightly get less stares, so you don't..
    kraggy wrote: »

The area north, south and west of the M50 comfort blanket

Advertisement