Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things you can do down the country that you can't do in Dublin.

1234568»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Say hello to random people on the road and stop to have a conversation about how their son did the degree you did and isn't it good walking weather and say hello to your parents, because whoever they are, we know them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 sickdullplain

have a fry-up on a friday night in a cattle mart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

Driving 40 miles home and not one set of traffic lights :)
    and what gorgeous views on the way! I love driving again:D

Remember the first time i see the Milky Way clearly and feeling very humbled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Helix wrote: »
    good lord

deuce is pronounced deuce, and dredging is pronounced dredging

d has a j sound when followed by a g only. i shudder to think what else you consider to be a "high standard of english"

Deuce is actually pronounced duze. Tis French, ya see. Although in a tennis match they actually say quarante-quarante, followed be egalite (last e with accent) for every subsequent tie.

There's another thing that you can do down the country: be completely unable to participate an any sport that does not involve picking up a ball and either blindly hoofing it or hitting it with a stick upfield.
    0verblood wrote: »
    Fall into a "ditch".
    0verblood wrote: »
    I know. That's why it's funny when culchies call a bush a ditch.

What do they call an actual ditch then?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »

There's another thing that you can do down the country: be completely unable to participate an any sport that does not involve picking up a ball and either blindly hoofing it or hitting it with a stick upfield.

?

Ahem

Hand Ball

Bowling

Point to Point

Cross Country running

Rowing

Angling

Shooting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Ahem

Hand Ball

Bowling

Point to Point

Cross Country running

Rowing

Angling

Shooting

I give you handball. And rowing (is that popular down the country? Genuine question...)

The rest fall into my description or are not ****ing sports!

And how many bowling alleys aerthere outside Dublin?

I give you handball. And rowing (is that popular down the country? Genuine question...)

road bowling you peasant :D

This type of rowing

road bowling you peasant :D

This type of rowing

Then "not a sport" (if it's bowling I think it is)

The rowing, though, looks like fun. How do you fight?

Then "not a sport" (if it's bowling I think it is)

The rowing, though, looks like fun. How do you fight?

You would have to ask someone from Kerry about that, they get fierce excited about it so they do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Make a fool of yourself and everyone pretends not to notice:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

worst thing Ive noticed about living down the country after growing up in dublin is the amount of people who are cousins with each other down here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Who cares?

Funny how the non-country people on this thread think they know more about the country than genuine native Irish country people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

cross county running isnt a sport?:confused:
    and yes shooting and angling are also sports

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

garv123 wrote: »
    cross county running isnt a sport?:confused:
    and yes shooting and angling are also sports

Just fly fishing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

So because they don't fall under you definition they cease to be sports? Shooting whether it is hunting, target or clay is a sport, a very popular one. You know target is an Olympic sport.

The Dubs, [I'm one myself] just stop short of pulling their children off the road, when I'm leaving my house to go shooting; whereas the locals stop and ask you about it. One of my friends told me about one of my Dublin neighbours almost go into hysterics telling her about seeing me walk down the road with a gun case. "There he was walking down the road with a fcuking gun" what else am I going to shoot rabbits with?

I'm lucky in that I only have to walk about 500 yards and I'm into fields where I can hunt. Most country people see a bloke going off hunting; where a lot of the Dublin people in my estate whereas I don't know what they do be thinking but it's generally negative.

The countryside gets a big thumbs up from me, around being able to participate in one of my sports in peace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

I've lived in Dublin all my life and plenty of these are true.

Sitting on any wall (within reason) is a great one, unless you're 10 years old you can't sit on a wall here without offending someone or having the guards called on you.

Things a Dublin person can only do when they are in the country:
    • Manage to get lost on a village with a single road, walking 5 miles the wrong way.
    • Panic as they get chased by really slow moving animals.
    • Park their car without worrying about it every five minutes trying to remember how long it's been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Act like an illogical insane person who worhsips the image of the virgin Mary in tree stumps or clouds.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Act like an illogical insane person who worhsips the image of the virgin Mary in tree stumps or clouds.

Like Joe Coleman from Dublin, Who claims he works for the Virgin Mary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

GR88 wrote: »

Yer hate for religion knows no bounds.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Daegerty wrote: »
    Yer hate for religion knows no bounds.

Don't hate religion, just the man is a complete spoofer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

tbh, there's a glass box on O'Connell street worshipped by taxi drivers

GR88 wrote: »

Touche, I'd forgotten about him, but then again whos' more messed up
    the guy who preaches this stuff or the people who show up in their droves believing it?

Touche, I'd forgotten about him, but then again whos' more messed up
    the guy who preaches this stuff or the people who show up in their droves believing it?

Don't think all of his followers are from rural areas, But ya you'd want to be very gullible or desperate to believe it.

I guess so I'm just basing it on that embarassing news item that was on
    the news that time, I think last year.
    They were interiewing some woman from down the country and she said
    she could see the face of the virgin Mary in the clouds.
    Surreal would be the best way to describe it,
    come to think of it
    there were probably people from Dublin as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

mixednuts wrote: »
    Ride sheep .
    Wasn't there a dub spotted riding a goat a few years ago by train passenger's coming into heuston station?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Wasn't there a dub spotted riding a goat a few years ago by train passenger's coming into heuston station?
    Yes that did happen. Probably better that they don't come out of the pale very often. If they do that to a city goat what would they do if they saw a flock of sheep :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

I thought that was somewhere in the UK?

Edit:I mean the real UK,of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Join the local musical society in order to find a wife/husband!

Wander through a field and have a pheasant frighten the sh1te outta ya by jumping out of the rushes and flying away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Seaneh wrote: »
    Go turning turf
    Go stacking turf
    Go bagging turf
    Bring the turf home
    Keep the house warm for the year with the back boiler, heated by only your own turf on the range.
    Only have to buy 200 liters of kerosene a year, only using it to heat the house in the mornings or when ya get back from town/work/school in the middle of the day.

Get a mad tan, up the bog.
    Get home and half a shower only to see half your tan disappear down the drain!
    Bring the .22 with you to the bog on the hope of seeing a few rabbits.
    Bring the o&u to the bog in the hope of a few ducks/geese passing over.
    Sit on a quay wall having pints delivered from a pub across the road with a rod, fishing for eels on a nice cool night.
    Get the outboads onto the 14ft and go for a spin up the lake for a swim on a warm summer day.
    Get the engine on the rib and give it socks down the river to clonmacnoise on a hot summer day.
    Go wakeboadring and tubing on the inner lakes, doesnt have to be particularly warm, wetsuits are great.
    Catch 25lb pike as if it was anormal thing, under a bypass!
    Bring the dog for a walk, for 5 miles round trip through unbroken open land.
    Go to the army range, watch while they practice and annoy the C.O. To try get a go of the styer,
    Tell him your hunting rifle would be far more accurate anyway when he tells you to eff off.
    Get lost in a forest for a few hours.
    go camping on an island with 5 or 6 lads for a weekend bringing only water, bread, a few bits and peices and a camp stove and your fishing rods and a .22 to catch the dinner.
    Have 3 day parties on an island with the owners consent. Equipt with a generator, kegs + cooler and gass, full p.a. system, stage and musical equiptment!
    Not have to worry about the Gardai breaking up said party because the sargets son is one of the lads organising the party, and its on a fecking island in the middle of a lake.
    Lock yourself out of the house and not have to worry about it because you left the spare key with the neighbours.
    Walk into any pub within 5 miles of your house alone and know at least 3 of the lads at the bar and the barman.
    Go drinking on a saturday night while in 6th year in school and run into your principle and have a pint with him while he asks how your grandparents are keeping.
    Win a provincial schools cup and get free drinks, food and nightclub access for the following month.
    Beat garbley or sligo grammar in a rugby match once every 2 or 3 years and feel like you won the world cup.
    Walk into school on a monday morning as slag the lad sitting beside you because you got the shift from his cousin whos in NUIG in the nightclub on the saturday night.
    Go out for a night with 25 euro, get a few drinks, into a club and not hav to worry about getting home.
    Not having to apply for jobs formally because you know a lad working there already.
    Meet someone you know, no matter what part of the fecking world you are in. Or at least meet someone who knows your auld lad.
    Be pulled by a Gardai only to be told your new car is looking well and l
    Drive off with him shouting 'thee your mammy I was asking for her!'.
    Sit in the beer garden in Sean's bar on a mad hot july day sipping ice cold cider and talk ****e with
    Lads you hadnt seen since the summer before.
    Meet all the lads you went to school with every St. Stephen's night in a bar in town.
    Kick lumps out of a lad from another parish on a field on a sunday morning and then chat away to him the next morning in school.
    Kick lumps out of a lad from another school on your schools field on a wednesday afternoon and then go for a pint with him on the friday.

Legend of a post if there ever was one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭An Coilean

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Drive around completely locked at 120 kph on pitch-black, 2-metre wide roads, without being ostracised by your peers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Have short hair be uber-butch and be married and straight.

Oh and be a woman

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭marble

Obviously you are just trolling by posting this thread in a Dublin forum.
    Ok that's it!I know I'm leavin myself wide open for a load of stick,but I see the term 'trolling' used quite a lot.
    I have no idea what it means!
    Anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Revive 18 month old threads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭Guill

marble wrote: »
    Ok that's it!I know I'm leavin myself wide open for a load of stick,but I see the term 'trolling' used quite a lot.
    I have no idea what it means!
    Anyone?

It means that you are looking to get banned.

Advertisement