Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Master and Margarita

Options
  • 28-02-2011 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭

Has anyone had the pleasure of reading this book?,

The devil and his excentric team of companions comes to town to reaf havoc on the elite classes, written by Mikhail Bulgakov in the time of Stalins reign of terror.

A pretty engrossing read, multi layered , very dark yet extremely light and funny. A classic

It is in hmv for 3 bucks at the moment. I bought it again cos my brother never gave me back the copy i gave him:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Jimmy the Wheel

I read it about 10 years ago.

A class book.

I loved the way it switched forward and back to the weird Christ narrative.

And it inspired one of rocks greatest songs, Sympathy for the Devil.

At 3 squid, I might give it a go again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 169 ✭✭bigsmokewriting

wow, 3e is ridiculously good price for such a good book!
    To be honest, not being fully aware of Stalin and Russia at the time, a lot of the clearly satirical points in the book were lost on me, but I could still see he was making snipes at government. An amazing read, for anyone. Favorite bit has to be the Devils Ball / Masquerade, its just such a vivid scene!
    - Ciaran, Big Smoke Writing Factory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

There are a number of different translations. I first tried to read the Master and Margarita which had been translated for Penguin Classics. Couldn't finish the book. I was then given a loan of a copy that had been translated by Glenny. It has become one of my favourite novels, and I try and read it every year or so.

A masterpiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

I have it sitting on my shelf for roughly 6 years,gathering dust. I must try dip into it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Morrigin

Loved it - a book that you can really sink your teeth into.

I'd recommend The Testimony of Gideon Mack by James Robertson. It's in a similar but more simple vein. Still a good read though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement