Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Many PC Gamers here ?

Options
  • 28-02-2011 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54,379 ✭✭✭✭

Im hoping to get my new PC this week and wondering what are the pc gamers playing these days and is there any boards clans or Irish clans etc

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

What games are you looking at, MMORPGs or something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,379 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Spear wrote: »
    What games are you looking at, MMORPGs or something else?

Im open to anything Spear, im mainly a FPS thou

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Headshot wrote: »
    Im open to anything Spear, im mainly a FPS thou

You might like some of the tactical shooter goings on, if you like your FPS with a realistic streak:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=141

What games should I pick up ?

I presume ARMA 2 is one ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Stuartp

I just Play games But Am not that into mm-o's
    More Stargery,adventure&shooter

• Advertisement

What games should I pick up ?

I presume ARMA 2 is one ?

Might want to try the demo first to see if it's your thing:

http://new.shacknews.com/file/13888/arma-2-demo

On an unrelated note, make sure you patch and update your machine when it arrives. Windows 7 Service Pack 1 was out only last Tuesday so may not be pre-installed.

Good idea about the demo

I got COD black ops for pc, so im looking forward to that too

Good idea about the demo

I got COD black ops for pc, so im looking forward to that too

Are you used to Steam and it's workings?

Spear wrote: »
    Are you used to Steam and it's workings?

Nope

Never used it

I signed up it awhile back for gods knows why, never ever used it

Nope

Never used it

I signed up it awhile back for gods knows why, never ever used it

It's a requirement for CoD:BoPs (but in turn it does manage patching and the like).

So you'll need to install this:

http://cdn.steampowered.com/download/SteamInstall.msi

Don't worry, you'll learn to like Steam after one of it's sales periods.

• Advertisement

I forgot two obvious suggestions:

join the Steam boards.ie group:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/boards_ie

and the Steam Black Ops Ireland group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/boireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

quake 3 arena i play, usually run a server when playing so the son and father connect and we play 3 way games over the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Hit up minecraft.net and say goodbye to everything you once felt was important in your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

Most popular online PC games in Ireland atm seem to be Minecraft (tomfoolery), Starcraft2 (rts), Heroes of Newerth (rts), League of Legends (rts for kids), CoD4 & CSS (fps - both still chugging along), quake live (fps).

Also, Steam is mint.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

quakelive or Heroes of Newerth

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Great time to be getting into PC gaming imo.

Starcraft 2 is popular and competitive.Good boards.ie scene going too

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1379

Crysis 2 is out soon, same with Shogun 2 and Dragon Age 2.

I liked the demos for the latter two so they might be worth a look. Crysis,as usual,looks really nice but no idea how it plays.

After that we'll have Portal 2, which you should get, and also get The Orange Box, if you don't have it. Portal,TF2 and HL2. It's just great.

Counter-Strike is still popular but I wouldn't recommend it tbh. You can also try L4D2 or Killing Floor.Both are great online games.

If you're into MMORPGs, Rift is just out and seems to be doing well, LOTRO went free-to-play a few months ago, and I'd recommend it over WoW. Keep an eye out for The Old Republic too, which looks like it'll be great.

Battlefield 3 will be out in a few months as well so keep an eye out for that.Skyrim,Deus Ex,The Witcher 2 are all out this year and all promise to be great.

Sign up to Steam and keep an eye on the sales.They will burn a hole in your wallet, but they are so worth it, and then you'll have too much games to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

im a pc gamer :)

politically correct gamer:rolleyes:;):)

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Look out for Left 4 Dead and L4D 2 on Steam sales. Both are well received, coop-centric, fps games and new (almost certainly) 'free' content on the way for the sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

I was reading something lately about consoles holding PC games back. Thats because the xbox and PS3 are 5 or 6 year old technology now while PC's are getting better all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

10 Goto Steam
    20 Buy "Killing Floor"
    30 Enjoy

Dunno if its just me but im addicted to this game, great co-op versus waves of enemies game but oh so much fun.

profitius wrote: »
    I was reading something lately about consoles holding PC games back. Thats because the xbox and PS3 are 5 or 6 year old technology now while PC's are getting better all the time.

Yeah the PC fanboys trot that line out a lot but if you look at a lot of PC only titles very few are MASSIVE technological leaps above PS3 and 360. hell, very few even approach the likes of Uncharted 2 and Killzone 3 graphically. only PC exclusive I see breakign the mould to surpass console in the near future is The Witcher 2.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Yeah the PC fanboys trot that line out a lot but if you look at a lot of PC only titles very few are MASSIVE technological leaps above PS3 and 360. hell, very few even approach the likes of Uncharted 2 and Killzone 3 graphically. only PC exclusive I see breakign the mould to surpass console in the near future is The Witcher 2.

Running games at a high resolution and AA is 100 times better than console resolution and blocky visuals, thats technologicaly MASSIVE enough for me any day of the week.

Lads

can anyone recommend a good gaming keyboard, somthing that wont break the bank of course

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

I feel stupid asking this but can someone explain what is so great about minecraft?

I played the free single player one but I couldn't see a reason to keep playing it? It's just lego in 3d. Why play for multiplayer? Are there enemies? What's the purpose of the game? What does multiplayer bring?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Gunmonkey wrote: »

Whatever about the validity of the claim that PC games are being held back, it makes perfect sense that PC titles have advance over the last 5 years to match the advancements in technology. Consoles are not developing in terms of their core technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Ther are a lot if pc gamers here.

First tip: if you liked fps on consoles, try same fps on pc. You will be surprised how much more you can pull off with keyboard and mouse.

Pc is amazing for rts fps and mmorpgs.

Rts: dow2, starcraft2, warcraft 3, total war, some of c&c libery can be enjoyable.
    Fps: anything teally lol.

As for pure pc madness i suggest minecraft, you will sing your life off to devil m8. Your gf will be just a formality, outside world will be seen in blocks for the rest of your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Elessar wrote: »
    I feel stupid asking this but can someone explain what is so great about minecraft?

I played the free single player one but I couldn't see a reason to keep playing it? It's just lego in 3d. Why play for multiplayer? Are there enemies? What's the purpose of the game? What does multiplayer bring?
    All of my friends boyght mc now, amd we all are hc pc players.

We did private server, and play together... There is no point in minecraft, you got to make your own enterntainment. That is the beuty of this game. It forces gamers to get theyr creativity and imagination out of bin.

We had such a laught, some will go hunt pigs so our camp would have food. Ather would start making mining routes and supply us with materials and tools. Ather will start clearing terrain around, some of the lads start biulding keep so we can hide in it during night.

Its amazing platform for games too, as there are thousand servers with unique rulles. With currency, clan war pvp, social rp life, arena weekends

This game is a real meaning of sandbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

All of my friends boyght mc now, amd we all are hc pc players.

We did private server, and play together... There is no point in minecraft, you got to make your own enterntainment. That is the beuty of this game. It forces gamers to get theyr creativity and imagination out of bin.

We had such a laught, some will go hunt pigs so our camp would have food. Ather would start making mining routes and supply us with materials and tools. Ather will start clearing terrain around, some of the lads start biulding keep so we can hide in it during night.

Its amazing platform for games too, as there are thousand servers with unique rulles. With currency, clan war pvp, social rp life, arena weekends

This game is a real meaning of sandbox.

Hmm I might just be tempted to buy it, just to see what all the fuss is...

Are there any servers you would recommend for newbs like me? (or anyone else looking to get it)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Get fallout 3/nv and the stalker games :) also company of heros :)

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

Lads

can anyone recommend a good gaming keyboard, somthing that wont break the bank of course

I have the sidewinder X6 keybboard, cant fault it, but its a bit pricey
    http://reviews.cnet.com/keyboards/microsoft-sidewinder-x6-keyboard/4505-3134_7-33238269.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

along with all the other games mentioned try

Metro 2033 a really atmospheric FPS shooter looks great on a decent specced PC

if your into flight sims the sequel to the excellent IL2 Sturmovik is out in march

and give World of Tanks (like a tank FPS) a shot, its a free MMO game thats still in Beta but full release is due in march

oh and another big shout for STALKER

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement