Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Many PC Gamers here ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,379 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Sisko wrote: »
    Headshot I noticed earlier you were saying you were finding playing with mouse and kb a little difficult, I'm just curious which aspects take getting used to as I've been pc gaming for so long I can't remember what its like to not be familiar with the set up.

Have you played the HL2 series? If not, do. Might be something to help get you used to playing on pc also.

I've been replaying HL2 coop with a friend recently, its old but still amazing fun.

The orange box is a must have even these days.
    basically im not sure am i using the keyboard and mouse right

When using the mouse should my wrist be resting on the table and am i sitting close enough to the keyboard?

Also im unsure about the steelcase mouse mat i got

definitely need a keyboard anyway, I was thinking of the G110 or the G510 but unsure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Sigh, 'boards.ie'

I'm done feeding you Jazzy, trying bring this thread back on course here. Enough of this ffs.

Headshot wrote: »

When using the mouse should my wrist be resting on the table and am i sitting close enough to the keyboard?

definitely need a keyboard anyway, I was thinking of the G110 or the G510 but unsure

Welllllllll I suppose everyone would be different. I tend to have my mouse sensitivity very high and use slight wrist movements for control so I have room to make big 360 movements with out having to double move the mouse if you know what I mean (eg move the mouse to the right and need to pick it up and place it back down to move to the right again to full turn your character around)

I suppose my wrist would be resting on the table yeah.

As for a keyboard, I mean for general game play any keyboard should be fine, are you using wasd or the arrow keys?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Sigh, 'boards.ie'

I'm done feeding you Jazzy, trying bring this thread back on course here. Enough of this ffs.

thats because im right and you dont like it. if you can't handle the feedback then don't post crap in the first place. my mate was right about you

Back under the bridge now jazzy, away with yea.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Jazzy, Magill and Sisko please give it a break, I don't want to have to close another thread.

You using the keyboard and mouse on a flat table? You'e wrist shoudl be resting on the table. If not you should be. Also you should be using a WASD set up and make sure your mouse inversion and sensitivity are set how you like them in game. I find a high snesitivity for single player games and a low lowfor multiplayer (helps with the headshots) is best. When Quake came out and I started to tell my friends to start using WASD on the keyboard and a mouse my advice was the play through the first episode of Quake with this set up. My advice is to play through something like Half Life 2 for a while. Stick with it and it will come naturally and you'll see howmuch better it is. You should really need a gaming keyboard or gaming mouse to be comfortable with keyboard and mouse.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

oh didnt see retros post.

Welllllllll I suppose everyone would be different. I tend to have my mouse sensitivity very high and use slight wrist movements for control so I have room to make big 360 movements with out having to double move the mouse if you know what I mean (eg move the mouse to the right and need to pick it up and place it back down to move to the right again to full turn your character around)

I suppose my wrist would be resting on the table yeah.

As for a keyboard, I mean for general game play any keyboard should be fine, are you using wasd or the arrow keys?
    thanks man for the reply

I just need more practice. On the issue of keyboard, im a bit of a noob so im unsure what your talking about

I dislike the keyboard anyway so ill be getting a new one soon, just unsure which one

@ retro I assume you meant 'shouldn't' really need a gaming keyboard and mouse to be comfortable playing with such?

I agree if thats the case, although I am playing with both an old g15 and a razor :p

Yeah I was actually ages before I moved to wasd, stuck to the arrows for a long time. Right through BF2. If I recall, I had ctrl to the left of the arrows as jump, numpad 1 as prone and numpad 0 as crouch... I think...

When I started playing games that let you peek around corners I had no choice but to finally give in to the ways of wasd.

Headshot are you saying your unaware what I mean by arrowkeys and wasd? In case that's it, its literally the keyboard buttons your using to control your character.

Look at wasd on your keyboard, hover your middle finger over W, W is forward, D and A are for moving right and left, and S is backwards. With this set up , space tends to be used for jumping etc etc. Q and E peeking around corners if the game uses that, you get the idea.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

For your keyboard set up you should be using WASD which means

W - walk forward
    a - left strafe
    s - walk backwards
    d - right strafe

If you use this method then you can bind all the keys around it to your personal preference. For example I have r for reload, e as a use key, space as jump (crappy two button mouse), shift or control as duck or run etc. so you have all the functions you need in easy access to your fingers. Some games I would have f as use and q and e as peek around corners.

It'll literally just be the case of building up a little muscle memory, you'll get the hang of it in no time. The advantage is the sheer amount of usable buttons around your left hand when its in wasd position that don't require you to do a lot of hand movement, thus your able to execute a lot more commands in a shorter space of time.

So yeah again, maybe something like HL2 to get used to it , before you jump into some full on MP FPS games.

• Advertisement

I remembered i had a wired xbox 360 controller so that has come in handy but I want to get use to the keyboard so im a bit hesitate of using it all the time

looooool stay away headshot, stay awaaaaaay. For FPS anyway I mean if your playing FiFA or NFS or something work away :p

Man I doubt it'll take you more then a couple of days to get the hang of, I'd actually be very interested to know how you get on in that regard, its unusual to have someone move to pc gaming from playing consoles for so long , everyone I know usually has had some experience with the mouse and KB set up so it'd be interesting to know how long it takes you to adapt.

Stay well away from using a controller. Just get used to a keyboard an mouse. Think of it this way. The mouse is the analogue stick you use to look around and WASD is the analogue stick you use to move with. If you go online with a gamepad you are going to get absolutely destroyed. On consoles gamepads are only useable because of huge amounts of auto aim and aim assist. On PC there's no auto aim or aim assist so you are going to be at a massive disadvantage and it won't improve.

Also I meant you shouldn't need a gaming keyboard or mouse, sure I'm using a gateway 2000 keyboard I got with my first PC in 1996 and and a crappy hand me down dell optical mouse and it's fine.

bloody steam havent gotten back to me at all

Do they have a contact number by any chance ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I use arrows on the keyboard since im left handed and wasd feels awkward. Still plenty of keys around to make binds

Its prolly worth getting a controller, solely for driving games

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Stay well away from using a controller. Just get used to a keyboard an mouse. Think of it this way. The mouse is the analogue stick you use to look around and WASD is the analogue stick you use to move with. If you go online with a gamepad you are going to get absolutely destroyed. On consoles gamepads are only useable because of huge amounts of auto aim and aim assist. On PC there's no auto aim or aim assist so you are going to be at a massive disadvantage and it won't improve.

Also I meant you shouldn't need a gaming keyboard or mouse, sure I'm using a gateway 2000 keyboard I got with my first PC in 1996 and and a crappy hand me down dell optical mouse and it's fine.

Althought i agree that keyboards dont really make much difference, a good mouse and mousemat is very important for shooters, at least if your thinking of playing online. Besides, the mx518 is only 20-30 quid and its a great mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Magill wrote: »
    Althought i agree that keyboards dont really make much difference, a good mouse and mousemat is very important for shooters, at least if your thinking of playing online. Besides, the mx518 is only 20-30 quid and its a great mouse.

+1 for MX518, great price for all of it's features.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

snake oil. a cheap enough microsoft one will do the same job.

A cheap enough microsoft one will be around the same price, but with less features :)

Magill wrote: »

Yeah definitely but you should be having trouble using any old mouse unless there's something really wrong!

• Advertisement

A cheap enough microsoft one will be around the same price, but with less features :)

no i got one for a tenner. thats a third of the price

Well I would agree with what Magill is saying for the more experienced PC gamer.

For example I've been using the same razor mouse for 5+ years, and the middle mouse button recently died on it. So when I play a game that really needs a scroll I plug in this ****ty dell mouse I have laying about and it just feels a lot worse, the razor glides along , just feels so much better even for general windows use.

But in the context of actually being brand new to PC gaming, any auld mouse will do, dropping 50 on a gamer mouse wont instantly make you any better then you are with a standard one.

Well I am the more experienced pc gamer. I am playing tough games like arma 2 now not arcadey shooters. most of the added features on those mice will just get in the way and make life more difficult. i find once its responsive enough thats all that matters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

I'm using a cheapo Dell keyboard (arrow keys, worn to an angle at this stage!) but I'd be meat without my logitech 518! A good gameing mouse should have high quality switches that will survive the abuse they're gonna get. On the fly dpi adjustment is great in FPS games (low when scoped, high when running) Everyone has their own preferences though and whatever works for you is cool.
    Orange box is amazing and I think the best game in it is DODS! Not for any technical reasons but because the community, while small compared to CSS or BFBC2 etc, is made up of good gamers! I admin on a big DODS server and rarely have to break out the banhammer, people work together, apologise for TK/TW and generally play to have fun, not show their leet skills and be pains. If you ever get into DODS pm me and I'll set you up!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Yeah definitely but you should be having trouble using any old mouse unless there's something really wrong!

It just depends what your playing tbh, playing FPS games like quake/cs/tf2 any old mouse wont do imo, at least not if you wanna be half way decent. Most cheap mice will lag and skip with quick movements and twitches. IMO its by far the most important peripheral for PC gaming. You can get an mx518 for as cheap as £20, may aswel put an extra £10 towards something that WILL make you a better player. Id imagine even playing RTS having a good mouse would be a big advantage over the bog standard dell mouse.
    Well I would agree with what Magill is saying for the more experienced PC gamer.

For example I've been using the same razor mouse for 5+ years, and the middle mouse button recently died on it. So when I play a game that really needs a scroll I plug in this ****ty dell mouse I have laying about and it just feels a lot worse, the razor glides along , just feels so much better even for general windows use.

But in the context of actually being brand new to PC gaming, any auld mouse will do, dropping 50 on a gamer mouse wont instantly make you any better then you are with a standard one.

Errrr... yes it will... FACT. If you give 2 equally skilled newbie PC gamers the same setup but one with a ****ty dell mouse with a crappy mousemat and one with a good gaming mouse and mat, the guy with a good gaming mouse would whoop the ****ty dell mouse user. And like i said, theres no need to spend 50 quid. Like you said, you can really tell the difference in smoothness and accuracy between mice.

Tho i think i read that you bought yourself a razer or something headshot ?

iv the mouse ye have been talking about

Mx518 :)

on another note im about hit the hay and iv a game downloading in steam, if I pause and turn off the pc, can i unpause it in the morning?

iv the mouse ye have been talking about

Mx518 :)

on another note im about hit the hay and iv a game downloading in steam, if I pause and turn off the pc, can i unpause it in the morning?

Ahh :D Good choice.

Dont think you even have to pause it mate, it'll still be at the same progress when you load back up tomorrow.

indough wrote: »
    Well I am the more experienced pc gamer. I am playing tough games like arma 2 now not arcadey shooters. most of the added features on those mice will just get in the way and make life more difficult. i find once its responsive enough thats all that matters

I love my added buttons and on the fly sensitivity switching for ArmA 2. I added the action buttons to it so it's quicker to use, and the sensitivity switch is great for swapping between sniping and, well, everything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I love my added buttons and on the fly sensitivity switching for ArmA 2. I added the action buttons to it so it's quicker to use, and the sensitivity switch is great for swapping between sniping and, well, everything else.

Be sure to get the 1st/3rd person toggle mapped to the mouse, essential for close quarters situational awareness ;)

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Be sure to get the 1st/3rd person toggle mapped to the mouse, essential for close quarters situational awareness ;)
    I'm going to add zoom to the mousewheel, I'll add Perspective toggle to the "window display" key :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement