Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

How to tell friends/relations to feck off

• 28-02-2011 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

My wife and i are after buying a 2005 caravan.
    It's a l;ovely clean bailey pageant bordeaux 4 berth which we'll tow with our diesel avensis.
    However our relations are starting to drop hints about borrowing the caravan during the summer.
    We have no interest at all in giving a loan of the caravan to anyone so how do we tell people to feck off?
    Any help or previous experiences greatly appreciated;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,328 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Mention that the insurance policy only covers it while you are towing and residing in it, problem solved unless they want you to go with them ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭the rambler

ask them did they ever hear of boards.ie amd see does the penny drop when they read your post!!

ive just had a conversation with an old work mate wanting to borrow our mh during the summer for "a week or so"
    when i told him the insurance only covers me & the dragon (wife) he said ill get my own insurance,
    thats when he was told to f**k off,

it must be something in the air or a full moon!!
    i hope you get many happy times in your new purchase,

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭iphone4g

You just say FECK OFF and buy your own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Yep. Mention the possible €350+ insurance charge which might be enough to put them off :D
    Or offer to rent it for say €1000 per week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

I've loaned my caravan out before, ok its much older. But no reason to grumble. Will be loaning it out again in a few months for a weekend.

Are the potential borrowers not trustworthy??, or do you feel they are just cheapskates leeching off you (in which case charge them something to cover your costs/make you feel that equation has been balanced)? Presuming there will be weeks where its left idle what would be the great harm in letting them use it??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭SARZY

Betsy Og wrote: »
    I've loaned my caravan out before, ok its much older. But no reason to grumble. Will be loaning it out again in a few months for a weekend.

Are the potential borrowers not trustworthy??, or do you feel they are just cheapskates leeching off you (in which case charge them something to cover your costs/make you feel that equation has been balanced)? Presuming there will be weeks where its left idle what would be the great harm in letting them use it??

Just like the politicians who dont mind your money cause its not their own,

People dont have much value on things they didnt pay for.

To ensure a bit of respect for your property, insist on a hefty deposit (refundable) to help them focus on the important matter of respecting someone elses property.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭DVD2009

when i bought my camper i told everybody that i wouldnt be lending it anybody , thus nobody asked anD nobody got embarassed by me saying FCUK OFF:)

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭locky76

Betsy Og wrote: »

i'm not mean or anything but if you loan it to one person you are then letting yourself open to loaning it top everyone else.
    if i was loaning it the one thing i would ensure is thast i didn't charge anything as i don't want to get into the hireshop situation.
    NO MEANS NO!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

Must be just me so, I'd be more careful with other people's stuff than my own - for fear of the mortification of damaging it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ask to the have the correct driving license to pull it, and do they have insurance for it. Also ask if they have the €750 refundable deposit for it...

No-one will jump through all the hoops, unless they've had one in the past. And if they had, ask why they don't now, and use the excuse against them :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭wonderworm

Ever heard of the word "no". It's great just say no you can't borrow, stay, hire, etc my campervan, caravan. No explanations just "no" trust me it works!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I'm nearly finished my conversion at this stage, and I've already had my family saying the same thing.

Personally, if I'm not using it, I wouldn't mind them making use of it so its not lying idle as often.

That said, i've put blood sweat and tears into this van, so there'd be murder if anything at all happened to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

That said, i've put blood sweat and tears into this van, so there'd be murder if anything at all happened to it.
    Just ensure that they EB license (if it's a caravan), a C1 (if it's a converted van), or they'll probably be completely uninsured for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I just tell anyone that I much prefer breaking it myself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

Just tell them you've saved for ages to be able to have it and you're precious about it. You don't want to fall out with anyone over it..

Not quite the same thing but I lent my projector to a friend before and it came back damaged. Is he willing to pay for it no! I just use this as my reason never to lend anything again, the last time I lent something it came back damaged and caused friction in my friendship etc. etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

There's only 3 people will ever be allowed to borrow our caravan - my grandmother (coz technically she owns half of it) and my parents as they used to let us use their mobile home when they had it. In my parents case we'd happily let them take the entire outfit wherever they want as they've no towbar on their own car anymore.

Everyone else can feck off :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I don't know what type of friends and family you have. Any time I borrow or loan something it's on a you break it you fix it basis. Just make this clear at the start and tell them the costs involved.

Advertisement