Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

could flea treatment be affecting dogs behaviour

• 28-02-2011 11:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭

Hi guys
    Yesterday i gave Sindy and Fargo a flea and tick treatment. Lotion drops on skin a well known brand from vet.
    Would this have caused 24 hours of hyperness and grumpiness? Plus poor Sindy seems to have a terrible itch on one of the application spots. She keeps asking us to rub it for her. I've looked and there is no obvious rash or broken skin but has anyone an idea of an ointment to rub on this to ease it, as i'm sure it's contributing to her grumpiness and bad humour :-(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I have only ever once had a dog with a reaction to spot on and that was my own dog Bogey, he literally erupted over night in a vulcano- like seeping sore on the spot of application which took weeks to heal. He was very depressed and grumpy for days afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Thankfully not that bad. Just seemed like all their training had gone out the window. Sindy who is usually so docile was really grumpy, which I suppose if she has an itch she can't scratch would explain. Fargo was a ball of fluff on speed. The fighting, the arguing, the pulling on leads, and that was just me ;-)
    I had used standard spot-on before with no problem, but this was one for ticks too, so I guess more powerful. Anyway I'll be using an alternative brand that seemingly, according to the net, doesn't have as many side effects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

When I treat my border collie, she is a bit out of sorts for the rest of the day. Most noticeable is how hyper she gets immediately afterwards for about an hour, after which she mopes about the place. Then fine the next day.

Advertisement