Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 connections, 1 house with UPC

• 01-03-2011 12:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭

howaye

i have a file server at home and when im away from home and try to access it, the speed is crap if somebody is uploading anything - youtube video, pictures, downloading a torrent etc. i have tried limiting the torrent client's upload speed but it never makes any difference.

i was on UPC 10mb down/1mb up but i upgraded to 20mb down/1.5mb up and its still the same. can i get a completely separate broadband connection from them? my only fear is that if i can get a 2nd broadband connection, i may still have the same issues as theres only the one line coming into the house. or would i be better off and getting an eircom connection so i know its defo separate to UPC?

thanks
    adam

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

The upload speed of your home connection is the limiting factor. Even when the home server is downloading it is also uploading acknowledgements.

1.5Mb up is only the notional upto speed. What upload speeds to you get when you run a speed test?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭RichieD

If your upload is 1mb then its more like 200kbps in reality.

When you are downloading remotely then your file server is actually uploading.

Getting another connection or switching to Eircom isnt going to help this.

It may be worth your while looking at cloud storage like Amazon S3 if you think its cost effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

yeah i knew it was my upload speed that was the problem alright!

sorry, maybe i should have been a bit clearer - my 2nd connection would be for the file server only and then all the other devices would use the other connection. what i was wondering is, can UPC provide 2 connections into the one house, or will i have issues with IP addressing etc? your one on the UPC customer care line didnt really know and im still waiting for a call back from them

big_moe wrote: »
    yeah i knew it was my upload speed that was the problem alright!

sorry, maybe i should have been a bit clearer - my 2nd connection would be for the file server only and then all the other devices would use the other connection. what i was wondering is, can UPC provide 2 connections into the one house, or will i have issues with IP addressing etc? your one on the UPC customer care line didnt really know and im still waiting for a call back from them

Its still going to be really slow.

UPC could give you 2 connections, you would have a different IP for each, but as I said there are more cost effective solutions.

You could rent alot of web storage for the price of another monthly broadband connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Xzen

Instead of paying for a seperate connection you could get yourself a good router.
    A good example are some of the DrayTek routers that enable you to completly control the bandwidth based on a PC/Server IP address or MAC. (Or if you're on a tight budget you could try a router that can be flashed with DD-WRT)
    So you can for example:
    Of your 20Mb/1.5Mb connection you could assign 18Mb/1Mb to your other PCs and 2Mb/0.5Mb to your Server.
    The other PCs/clients on your network won't be able to exceed their limit leaving you enough bandwidth to speak to your server :)

If you have the budget you could get that 2nd connection. You would need a 2nd router or you could get a Dual-Wan (see some of the Drayteks above) router that would sort any IP issues you'd have.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Xzen wrote: »
    Instead of paying for a seperate connection you could get yourself a good router.
    A good example are some of the DrayTek routers that enable you to completly control the bandwidth based on a PC/Server IP address or MAC. (Or if you're on a tight budget you could try a router that can be flashed with DD-WRT)
    So you can for example:
    Of your 20Mb/1.5Mb connection you could assign 18Mb/1Mb to your other PCs and 2Mb/0.5Mb to your Server.
    The other PCs/clients on your network won't be able to exceed their limit leaving you enough bandwidth to speak to your server :)

If you have the budget you could get that 2nd connection. You would need a 2nd router or you could get a Dual-Wan (see some of the Drayteks above) router that would sort any IP issues you'd have.

Yep, or a good Linksys WRT (be sure get the WRT 54GL, the linux one, its old specs and better than the newer ones where Cisco used cheaper components) and flash it with DD WRT,
    http://lifehacker.com/#!178132/hack-attack-turn-your-60-router-into-a-600-router

You can then setup QOS, where everything gets a priority, skype and gaming high priority, torrents and downloads low priority and nothing hogs all the bandwidth. I can play games and skype without noticing any difference while torrents or usenet downloads are runninng or kids are watching Youtube videos. Likewise I can remote access when downloads are maxing the connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

If the reasons behind are cor€ct,get a second broadband line from some ISP that does SDSL,not ADSL.
    I'm using UPC for general use and Irish Broadband 4/4 exclusive for business,vpn,owa/oma and others.
    No router will have any major benefits...any QoS or traffic shaping will have an impact on the router CPU.
    Also,i've discovered that some routers have a built-in hardware download speed.Whatever router u use,make sure that has latest fware from official online link.

If my 750iAL has a 5l engine,driving with...100kmh on M50 and is congestion...as a solution i'm turbo-charging the engine to be 10l and hundreds of bhp OR use another "lane"/road !??

rolion wrote: »
    If the reasons behind are cor€ct,get a second broadband line from some ISP that does SDSL,not ADSL.
    I'm using UPC for general use and Irish Broadband 4/4 exclusive for business,vpn,owa/oma and others.
    No router will have any major benefits...any QoS or traffic shaping will have an impact on the router CPU.
    Also,i've discovered that some routers have a built-in hardware download speed.Whatever router u use,make sure that has latest fware from official online link.

If my 750iAL has a 5l engine,driving with...100kmh on M50 and is congestion...as a solution i'm turbo-charging the engine to be 10l and hundreds of bhp OR use another "lane"/road !??

Its hardly worth it though.

I was paying €50 a month for IBB Breeze 3m/3m up until 2010.

These days you can get UPC 30m/3m for €42

Advertisement