Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carphone Warehouse launching 'The Geek Squad'

• 01-03-2011 12:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭

Pretty much as the title says, CPWH are advertising for staff members to join their new 'The Geek Squad' team, which will no doubt be a blatant rip off of Best Buy's version in the States. Now that Best Buy is in Europe, wonder how they'll take to the name being used (That is, unless I've missed something and Best Buy are somehow involved with CPWH?).

Preferred skills include knowledge of Win/MacOS/Linux, Networking, GPS, Wifi, Bluetooth, etc, etc, etc. Knowing Ireland, they'll expect all that tech knowledge and pay buttons for it too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

In the UK anyway it's a joint venture/licensing deal with Best Buy, so I imagine it's the same here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭OMG Its EoinD

They have the geek squad in PC world in Cork I'm pretty sure. Rip off they are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Im_EoinD wrote: »
    They have the geek squad in PC world in Cork I'm pretty sure. Rip off they are

There's no geeksquad without a carphone warehouse, thats the deal they have. so i doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Let's hope they're better then their US "techs".

http://www.wimp.com/geeksquad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Let's hope they're better then their US "techs".

http://www.wimp.com/geeksquad

and they probably wont

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

The one in PC World is called Tech Guys and are pretty dismal at what they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Nerd Herd, FTW!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,315 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I was actually hired by Best Buy a couple weeks ago. The single visit cost might look daunting but contrast that with the service plans which arent that much more expensive than a single repair visit and they are good for any number of visits and fixes while you have the coverage.

As for the particular incident in that video I don't think I can add any more than the response corporate gave, it pretty much sums it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Some day I am going to bring in a laptop with a broken Gentoo install. You mention Linux skills, I hand you a borked machine with plenty of circular dependency problems littered throughout the system. Just for the lulz, like.

huh? *I* never claimed to have any linux experience..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Overheal wrote: »
    huh? *I* never claimed to have any linux experience..

It's just that "Linux" is mentioned in the OP's post. I was speaking figuratively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Naikon wrote: »
    Some day I am going to bring in a laptop with a broken Gentoo install. You mention Linux skills, I hand you a borked machine with plenty of circular dependency problems littered throughout the system. Just for the lulz, like.
    they're going to try selling you a seriously overpriced laptop to fix your "virus".

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭clacks

Are they still looking for staff? Any links?

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    they're going to try selling you a seriously overpriced laptop to fix your "virus".
    Really? Compare:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+Satellite+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i3+Processor+/+15.6%22+Display+/+4GB+Memory+/+640GB+Hard+Drive+-+Slate/1859059.p?id=1218297521191&skuId=1859059
    http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/retail-product.jsp?poid=501491

/I didn't cherry pick that either

Thing of it is if you're ready to pay for virus removal/repairs that will cost (a specific case) ~$100, and the laptop is 6 years old and cost $400 when it was new: does it make sense to repair it, or replace it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭omerin

Lets hope they fix PC's better then they sell phones.

Advertisement