Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a DSLR and paying off monthly

• 01-03-2011 1:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

anyone recommend any stores that do this ?

I've seen Harvey Norman do, but some of the cameras in the price range i'm aiming for (6 to 700 range) are a tad pants ....

anyone have any suggestions ?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

tbh store interest rates are pretty extortionate, I'd personally aim for credit union or small personal loan with a more manageable (and flexible) rate of interest... I myself would lean towards saving, damn economic instability...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

+1 I'd save and buy it down the line, or buy some cheap model now, get photographing, and save for a better one in a years time or something. I've never been too hot on buying luxury items that I can't afford to immediately plonk down cash for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

also second hand dSLR's are usually very good.

adverts.ie or ebay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭chevron

+1 As the others said.
    For something like a camera its not wise or worth it to borrow or get a loan for it.
    save and start with a secondhand one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Get searching the used sites like adheres.ie. Plenty of bargains to be had if it's just an entry level dslr you're after. Save up about €400 and you should be able to get a decent starter kit. I wouldn't go the pay by the week route. O did it in the past on stereos and tvs. By the tome I'd paid for them they were out of date/busted and Id already been eying up newer models.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Argos do 6 months interest free, but DO NOT miss the final payment as you'll be tied into a long, high-interest repayment plan.

Prices aren't bad either, when I bought my K-X no online retailer I found could match the price.

...BUT, as mentioned above; saving really is wisest way to buy these days... and with a Canon price drop expected you might get lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Trigger76

JustinOval wrote: »
    ...BUT, as mentioned above; saving really is wisest way to buy these days... and with a Canon price drop expected you might get lucky.

Price drop expected ? Please elaborate,
    Thanks
    T

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Price drop?

I saw Birmingham Cameras are doing the Canon 60d for 999 euro, which I thought was pretty good already.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Trigger76

I was more questioning if there was some development that would lead to a drop acorss the Canon range of products...

I think from time to time you can always expect some offer in general on a particular model.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Trigger76 wrote: »
    Price drop expected ? Please elaborate,
    Thanks
    T

With the recent announcement of the 600D, I would expect to see good
    deals on the 500D and 550D. I see Argos have dropped the 550D + 18-55mm
    price to €775.

hbr wrote: »
    With the recent announcement of the 600D, I would expect to see good
    deals on the 500D and 550D. I see Argos have dropped the 550D + 18-55mm
    price to €775.

Yes, I haven't paid much attention to this specifically but when a new model of anything is released the older models usually drop a little in price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Still, the OP asked about buying a camera in Ireland with Hire Purchase.

Regardless of whether it's a good idea or not, does anyone know where one can buy a camera over a period of months?
    I'm sure there are situations where buying a camera in installments is the best or only option, but I find it hard to imagine one.

FWIW, people are discussing HP/Credit etc here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70815126

Apparently the stores are charging 16-17%. Ouch.

OP, are you new to photography or upgrading? Do you already have a DSLR? Lenses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

i had the cash to buy my new one outright but in the end i decided to put it on my credit card for warranty/insurance reasons and then just started paying a 100/week off the bill, letting me keep cash money to hand in case of something unexpected

mawk wrote: »
    i had the cash to buy my new one outright but in the end i decided to put it on my credit card for warranty/insurance reasons and then just started paying a 100/week off the bill, letting me keep cash money to hand in case of something unexpected

I don't understand, how does that work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

i use my internet banking to pay 100 euro off the credit card bill every week after I get paid. Being a graduate account holder I dont pay interest on my credit card assuming I meet the minimum montly payment which is ten percent of what is owed. Camera was about 800, meaning if i pay 80+ per month, i dont pay interest. Since im paying 400 a month.. I dont.

This lets me spread the cost of the camera over two months without having to buy it from my savings, which is handy.

But that said, if at the time of purchase i couldnt have afforded the camera outright from pocket, i wouldnt have bought it.
    Doing it that way works well in my situation.

Advertisement