Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First mobile phone

• 01-03-2011 2:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Do you remember your first mobile phone? Im young so i might still have mine somewhere it was a sagem myv-55 back in 2004/5 every teenager had that phone at the time, I think it was the first budget camara phone.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Oh I remember my first one. Lots of fumbling around in the dark and pushing of buttons not knowing what the response might be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

1994, Old NEC Brick, Used it as a Paperweight for a while too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭LambsEye

I'm currently still using my 2nd phone.

I broke my snazzy, little computery type modern phone jobby and the only other phone I have is this:

I'm absolutely LOVING it. Text and calls. That's all I need.

27a48.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Cybertron85

Nokia 2100 has to be almost 10 years ago.

Calls, texts and snake to pretend you're busy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I still have it.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

Some Phillips yoke. Got it for my birthday. Was absolutely shtie. Lasted about 2 years though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

My first phone and it will be my last. Yeh that's right, i don't need any fancy apps or gimmicks, this one works just fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,870 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Nokia 3210, and I'm sure that's the same for many people here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

callaway92 wrote: »

:) Everyone had them! They were tough out too, practically indestructible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Trium Astral

Made by Mitsubishi...how weird, as they are probably my favourite car manufacturer as well!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

A Motorola Talkabout 180 - and it still works. It rose like a Phoenix from the ashes after a toilety death! :eek:

It stored 10 messages, did not connect the names of senders to messages (thus enabling/requiring you to learn friends numbers) and came with a free diskman! Plus it came with better ringtones than my current phone!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Siemens C10 12yrs ago now time flys!

http://www.gsmarena.com/siemens_c10-84.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

Heres my first one that I got in 1999 when I was 13! I don't think it even had text messaging! I thought I was the business:D

http://jamesoff.net/site/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/dsc_4159.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

I had this bad-ass.

Two and a half years and not a button out of line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Nokia 5110. Awesome phone.

http://www.extragsm.com/images/phone/big/Nokia/5110/Nokia-5110-01.gif

Text messages were free back then too. Though nobody sent messages!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Nokia 3210, had a pink cover with hearts for it and all :cool:

Oh god I miss original snake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

Some Alcatel thingy from 1999. It was still going 10 years later but I disposed of it after the cunts Vodafone refused to give me an unlock code for it.

I only wanted it unlocked because it was my first phone but if I need to buy 130e of Vodafone credit for that to happen they can shove it up their arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

nuxxx wrote: »

Must have dropped mine about a thousand times and the only reason I stopped using it was because I dropped it that thousandth time and half the screen went blank. Still took calls but you had to guess what half of most text messages said.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

nuxxx wrote: »
    My brother tried to test this one day by having a phone throwing competition with my friend. Turns out they're not so indestructible after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Ahhh the good times, when having snake on your phone was a big deal.

And the crappy covers they would sell everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    Ahhh the good times, when having snake on your phone was a big deal.

And the crappy covers they would sell everywhere.

Moore street had them on every stall!!....my god....those were the days

Aoifey! wrote: »
    My brother tried to test this one day by having a phone throwing competition with my friend. Turns out they're not so indestructible after all.

The only thing indestructible on this planet is a Volkswagen TDI engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Mine was the almighty Nokia 3210, savage phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

My dad worked for Telecom Eireann and had one of these for work around 1993. I remember thinking it was the coolest thing ever. Weighted a ton.

http://hackadaycom.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/htpc_carphone.jpg?w=470&h=425

I cant remember the make of my first phone, it was 1997 and i was at college in the north, couldn't wait to get rid of it and upgrade to a Nokia 1900.

Senna wrote: »
    My dad worked for Telecom Eireann and had one of these for work around 1993. I remember thinking it was the coolest thing ever. Weighted a ton.

http://hackadaycom.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/htpc_carphone.jpg?w=470&h=425

Great yokes altogether. How long before it drained the battery of the car?

088 number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

Anyone have that one friend who would always say "i'll never get a phone" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭seafood dunleavy

Nokia 3510i.Having a colour screen was so high tech!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I had a Nokia 3310 as well, with a Hello Kitty cover :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Anyone have that one friend who would always say "i'll never get a phone" :D

That was me! A few weeks later and my gran bought me the 3310 so I could call home to be collected when football was finished....I felt like a traitor for all of five seconds....till I found Snake!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

First phone was s6e motarolla yoke no texts bak then!
    Ad one of these at one stage d only way i could turn ht on was to strategicaly tap it off a wall!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Daegerty wrote: »
    Great yokes altogether. How long before it drained the battery of the car?

088 number?

The base of it was the battery, weighted a ton, but fully portable.
    Yeah 088 number, think the first eircel mobiles were 088 as well.

Does anyone remember the mobiles (actual mobile, not big brutes like i posted above) that took a whole card, not just the cut out sim card. You had to slide the credit card sized sim in through the base of the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭cusackd

3210 Back in the day where you could change the outgoing message centre number and youd get free texts, none of that messing now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

First phone I had was a Motorola d160 could always stick four double A batteries in it if it went flat.

Made a good few quid replacing 3210/3310 screens used to be able go get them for a tenner a pop and charge 30 for them fitted.

Senna wrote: »
    The base of it was the battery, weighted a ton, but fully portable.
    Yeah 088 number, think the first eircel mobiles were 088 as well.

Does anyone remember the mobiles (actual mobile, not big brutes like i posted above) that took a whole card, not just the cut out sim card. You had to slide the credit card sized sim in through the base of the phone.

Indeed I do. My uncle had one in 95. This one I think, the charger I still have for it looks very familiar. http://www.vintagemobilephones.com/MyImages/Bosch%20Cartel%20SL%202G2%20%286%29.JPG

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

My first mobile phone was a Nokia 3210 in 1999. I thought it was the bees knees back then!:D

The world's first mobile telephone was invented in 1973 - even older than me - wow!.:pac: This is what it looked like:

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/mags/qf/c/PopularScience/7-1973/lrg_cover.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Dr Kildare

i got my first mobile in 1999 when i was 14....it was the current in phone at time

have to to say, i love having the phones with instant email...its very handy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Daegerty wrote: »
    The only thing indestructible on this planet is a Volkswagen TDI engine.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves...

JupiterKid wrote: »
    My first mobile phone was a Nokia 3210 in 1999. It thought it was the bees knees back then!:D

The world's first mobile telephone was invented in 1973 - even older than me - wow!.:pac: This is what it looked like:

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/mags/qf/c/PopularScience/7-1973/lrg_cover.jpg

Lol.......take-along phones. I think I'm going to start using that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

cusackd wrote: »
    3210 Back in the day where you could change the outgoing message centre number and youd get free texts, none of that messing now.

That was great, until they found out and started taking all my credit everytime I topped up :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I cant remember the year exactly but it was Eircell 088 and a Motorola brick >.<

I'll hazard a guess at 1998/99.

Had one of them.

I don't have a flash phone now, I call from it, but only text from it if Im away from my lappy. Spending a heap on a phone wouldnt make sense for my needs.

• Advertisement

Abi wrote: »
    I cant remember the year exactly but it was Eircell 088 and a Motorola brick >.<

Oh **** I forgot I had one of the before my 5110.
    With a flimsy retractable aerial ?
    The 5110 was so modern cause it had a stubby aerial :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

A savvy or something you got free with an AIB bank account in 99. Been getting statements of 0 in it ever since. I really should close that account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

Nokia 3310 was my first. To hell with you oldies and your "3210s". Mine was best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Father had a Philips fizz I think it was called. The sim card was a full call card. Can picture my first phone but can't think of the name of it. Was about 1000 - 12 years ago and was top of the range. Back when you could change the message centre number and get free texts for about a day lol. The phone took some slaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

Someone please think about the children! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

1999, the Nokia 5110 was the big model at the time

But I couldn't afford that and got some Motorola.
    When you received a text it just showed the number and you couldn't get it to show the name.
    So you needed to recognize your friends phone numbers.

Calls cost 80p a minute peak :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Some blue Motorola brick jobbie, on Eircell RTG. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭QuinnC88

Ah, the Motorola StarTAC, taught i was the business with a flip-phone! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

1994, Old NEC Brick, Used it as a Paperweight for a while too
    By any chance was it the P100?

My first phone also and cost me over £300 with a years contract with Eircell at £27 a month and thats without even making a call.:eek:

http://www.mobiles.co.uk/necp100.htm
    1999, the Nokia 5110 was the big model at the time
    I went through about four of these over a space of three years and still keep one as a back up although they are a pig to use for text messages. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I was so proud the day I cleared snake on me old Nokia. Didn't want anyone to ring me incase it took it off the screen whilst i ran around showing everyone the full screen

• Advertisement
Advertisement