Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First mobile phone

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Conor_M1990

I had a 5110 then a 3310 savage phones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

my 1st phone i was a present for xmas 00 i think. It was some motorola thing that came with x tokens from the evening hearld. think it still cost like £50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Back in the days when Irish mobiles only had 5 digits and Eircell was the only network, my first phone was a NEC 9A, then followed by a Motorola (can't remember the model no.), next was a Siemens, then the Sony "Mars Bar" which cost a absolute fortune back in 1993.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

some monsterolla thing.
    it was huge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

This!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_1610

Credit card size sim and a battery that would last half a day if you were lucky. Everyone used to have spare batteries for their phones at the time.

Makes me feel old when you see people mentioning phones with colour screens as their first ever phones:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Had one of these first. Shite, but you could change the colour of the ring on the aerial.
    callaway92 wrote: »
    Nokia 3210, and I'm sure that's the same for many people here!
    nuxxx wrote: »
    :) Everyone had them! They were tough out too, practically indestructible
    Opinicus wrote: »
    Must have dropped mine about a thousand times and the only reason I stopped using it was because I dropped it that thousandth time and half the screen went blank. Still took calls but you had to guess what half of most text messages said.
    I have a mate that still uses one of these. Great phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

I think it was this one around 98

http://www.byemobile.com/mobile/Panasonic/GD30

though it looks a little roundier then I remember, I may have had one a bit more bricklike before it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Never mind my first phone.

I got one of those touch-screen phones a month ago. I thought it would be cool, coz everyone on the Dart just uses their fingers to scroll up and down their screen in the mornings...:mad:

boy was I wrong:mad:

It is driving me insane - I constantly delete every text I write before I send it, by touching the feckin backspace button for a second too much. I constantly cut myself off calls when my cheek hits off the screen. I have wasted so much credit sending half written texts:mad::mad:
    I am going back to a phone with buttons.
    WHAT'S WRONG WITH BUTTON!!!!

And yes. I'm old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

Startac 70 circa 1998.

It wouldn't look up numbers properly when you sent a text. But that's okay because for some reason i couldn't send texts to Esat anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Ericsson GA 318 ... around 1997/98

Interchangeable front panel too!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

the 3210! loved that phone, but then again i was 13, i loved every gadget i had at that stage.

my partner still has his one, i should really charge it up :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Nokia 3210 too, with the changeable covers.... ah memories :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

It was a nokia 5110. Think I was about 15.
    If you threw it at someone's head it'd probably knock them out.
    Those things were tough as nails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

bronte wrote: »
    It was a nokia 5110. Think I was about 15.
    If you threw it at someone's head it'd probably knock them out.
    Those things were tough as nails.

I actually miss when you could drop your phone down the stairs by mistake and itd still be the same. now if you look at a phone cock eyed it throws a fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭ElectraX

1996/1997 and it was a Sony one very similar to this:D

http://www.retrobrick.com/marsbar.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

It's amazing how the memories come flooding back by looking at photos of phones!
    callaway92 wrote: »
    Nokia 3210, and I'm sure that's the same for many people here!

The 3210 was my second phone. First was this Motorola - same colour too!

Vicxas wrote: »
    I actually miss when you could drop your phone down the stairs by mistake and itd still be the same. now if you look at a phone cock eyed it throws a fit.

I know! :o
    God forbid you get caught in the rain with one now.
    I don't remember water making much difference to the phones of yore!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

ElectraX wrote: »
    1996/1997 and it was a Sony one very similar to this:D

http://www.retrobrick.com/marsbar.html

I had that one too, but mine had a leather case so was obviously superior to yours:cool:
    :pac:
    http://www.vintagemobilephones.com/sony%20ericsson.html

They were so big I developed a lob sided walk when it was in my pocket.

This was my mum's first phone

http://www.tmn.nu/blog/wp-content/422_1.jpg

A philips diga that was on eircell.
    What a brick that yoke was! Text messages had to scroll across the screen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

Siemens C10 12yrs ago now time flys!

http://www.gsmarena.com/siemens_c10-84.php

C10 back in early '99

It was a great little phone.
    http://kokeshnet.com/wordpress/wp-content/mobilc10.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Mine was the Sony CMD-J70.. It had this side wheel that you click in, and everything was done with it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,037 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I had a Nokia 2140 in the UK back in the mid 90s. Pretty tough, lasted for years, even after the antenna tip fell off. I eventually got a Motorola that was half the size, and regretted it, since it was half as tough. I did get a fancy HTC Windows Mobile phone in 2006, wore out the keyboard, and have since gone back to a cheap Alcatel flip phone on PAYG.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭ElectraX

dubtom wrote: »
    I had that one too, but mine had a leather case so was obviously superior to yours:cool:

Very fancy!:D I remember I was in 5th year in school and none of my friends had mobiles yet, I only had it cause my mum was into gadgets and I got her cast off phones when she was updating. Think it just lay at the bottom of my school bag most of the time:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Vinny-Chase

I had the Motorola Ready To Go on Eircell 088. It was the first pay as you go phone as far as I can remember. Had a retractable "aerial". It was a beast of a yolk! The credit for it used to be like a scratch card.

Next I got a Nokia 5110 which could text, but no one else had a phone that could text so it was a bit redundant for a while :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Siemens C10. Happy days.

Many times I was asked where do you put the credit in. Simpler times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The Panasonic GD90 series were the business when they came out, very small in their day,however I found the Nokia series more user friendly, Had two of them. For some reason Panasonic left the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

I had a Peoples phone branded phone in the UK in 1995, giant thing which I unfortunately can't track down a picture of, but I carried it around in a bag!

That was followed by one of these baby's
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_5160
    which was a classic, virtually unbreakable no matter how drunk you were

that was followed by one of these
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_3210
    Which was the best phone I've ever had, I used it as a back up last year and it's still going strong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Alcatel OT 311

Came with a free CD player in Woolworths that Christmas, and I was in need(ish) of both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Motorola Startac, a device blessed above all by hollywood directors, presumably due to its flippiness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

Nokia 3210 all the way lads! best phone I ever had!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭kuro2k

1996 - Nokia 1610

The heat from it would burn your ear off !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I had the Motorola Ready To Go on Eircell 088. It was the first pay as you go phone as far as I can remember. Had a retractable "aerial". It was a beast of a yolk!
    I got one of these on 087 in early 2000. Savage big yoke, I can't find a picture of one online, it's like they never existed :(. Though I think it may still be in my parent's house.

I remember it cost me £79 including £20 credit from a shop where the owner later turned out to be a big drug dealer, using the shop to launder his cash.

This was my second phone I bought about a year later. Lasted forever, I liked that phone.

I made of point of not buying Nokias in the early days. Nokias were for sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

An ericsson was my first - late 2000.

http://ca.ioffer.com/img/1104480000/_i/5006290/1.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Siemens C10. Happy days.

Many times I was asked where do you put the credit in. Simpler times.

I remember trying my hardest to play the ring tone and hold the aerial and phone in my hand like the guy in the add,hours of amusement

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Allison91

Nokia 3330, great phone so much better than the one I have now had so many cute covers for it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

In 10 years time there'll be people talking about how they had iphones when they were 13. Times have changed.

I had one of these myself about 10 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

My first phone was the Ericsson Ga 318, it was my dad's old phone, bought the RTG sim pack in April 01, that was a brick of a phone!!
    Then went on to a Nokia 3210, it only lasted a few weeks though as it just died :(
    Then went onto a Philips something something. Have had Nokias after that including the 3510i,got it in 2003, i still have it, and they two of them in the house still, back then them phones were the big thing with the colour screen!!
    Now im on an Iphone 3gs got it before Xmas jus gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

A nokia 3310 for me from Vodafone, still have my original number too :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

Some nokia yoke that charged on a basestand! This was around 99-00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

panasonic GS220 I think it was? on ESAT with FREE texts!! until they copped onto that one pretty quick :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Sagem MY V-65. Vodafone Live, Java games, polyphonic ringtones and a camera. All you ever needed:

samyv65_00.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Back in the Eircell days, around '93, my first 088 was a Maxon EPC590E.
    It was a brick and an half.
    Phone measures 19.5cm high x 5.5cm wide x 4.5cm wide. Antenna is 9.5cm long. Weight of package is 1.4kg

http://www.vintagemobilephones.com/Other_Phones.html

My love affair with mobiles started with the Pansonic GD500 and led me to:
    Nokia 9000 communicator
    Nokia 6110
    Nokia 6210
    Panasonic gd90
    Sagem myv 65
    Nokia 6680
    Nokia 7280
    Nokia N93
    Nokia N95 8gb
    Nokia N900
    and now Samsung Galaxy S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

a nokia ringo that came out with the ready to go around 97/98

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭giggsirish

A Siemens C25. A beaut of a phone. Followed by an S55 (back when siemens made a half decent phone)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Ah memories

My first phone was the O2 X1, which later had to be recalled because they tended to explode :rolleyes:

Then I moved onto the Sagem My V-55, which I'll always remember for the great airplane game on it and the infrared which I thought was mind-blowing

Then I bought my friend's Nokia 3510i as a spare, which I still own but never use

My next fad was for anything shiny and slim, and so the Motorola V3 came into play

Sadly I thought it was sh1te and it wasn't long before I ditched it for a Nokia 6111, which is probably my favourite phone of all the ones I've had

My current [and longest-kept-and-used] phone is a Nokia 6300, but it's getting on in years and an upgrade is due soon

I actually thought I had more, but I guess not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

I had one of them motorola jobbies with the flip down thing over the mouth piece and the extendable aerial. I think you could make calls of the thing, but you defo couldnt text. And it was pre-shnake as well, so it was kind a pointless piece of kit

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Humans eh!

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Ericsson GA 318 ... around 1997/98

Interchangeable front panel too!!!!!

Had one of these on Eircell.
    Crashed my motorbike in 1999, had phone in top right pocket of my bike jacket.
    Little aerial went into my collarbone breaking both. :eek:
    Great little phone though smallest one available at the time.

'Sigh, rubs collarbone with nostalgia'

• Advertisement
Advertisement