Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First mobile phone

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

I remember watching an episode of Saved By The Bell when i was younger, one of the cast Zack had a mobile phone, it was like a concrete block with an aerial sticking out of it!! he couldnt even carry it in his pocket, had to keep it in his school bag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

I had one of these, early 1999 or so...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siemens_C25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Nokia 3210, like 90% of people! Painstakingly typing in those musical notes untill you got the ringtone you wanted! Sandstorm by Darude FTW!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Nokia 9110i

which led to

Handspring Treo 180
    Nokia 9210i
    O2 XDA 1
    Motorola MPX-200
    Another 9210i
    O2 XDA 2
    i-Mate JasJar
    iPhone 2G
    iPhone 3Gs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Alcatel onetouch, early 1999. Can't find a picture - but it was squeaky-yellow, and heavy! ;-)

My grandmother still has her nokia 1011...aka 'The Brick'. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

the old motorola brick as it was known about 12 years ago which was followed by the nokia 5110 and 3210 legend phones brought many flirty teenage texts my way....ah the good days:(

edit:a panasonic gd30 was in between them phones that had the best message tone ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

One phone which was not my first phone but which I loved and I still ahve one somewhere and used when travelling etc was a SonyEriccson K800i.

Great yoke! Though I had two, and the first one was definitely better to the second one (with the exception that the first one died and the second one didn't - bu the photos on the first one were far superior for some reason).

Anyone remember this dude:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/5640963/Trigger-Happy-comedian-Dom-Joly-was-considered-Wimbledon-threat.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

One phone which was not my first phone but which I loved and I still ahve one somewhere and used when travelling etc was a SonyEriccson K800i.

Great yoke! Though I had two, and the first one was definitely better to the second one (with the exception that the first one died and the second one didn't - bu the photos on the first one were far superior for some reason).

Anyone remember this dude:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/5640963/Trigger-Happy-comedian-Dom-Joly-was-considered-Wimbledon-threat.html

That show was a classic!! here a video from it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNL3YtdcR_E

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dan185

Remember the days when €80 free credit meant €80 free credit:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Jesus ye are all young ones here. My first one was a Motorola Micro tac.

motorola-microtac-led-1_.jpg

That was in 1994.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Do you still get free phones in college?

I started in 2000 and if you opened a bank account you got a Motorola Trium.
    And the next year, we got a free Siemens phone, I was realy fond of that little phone and used Siemens for years.
    Or you could pay extra and get the famous 3210

So do college students still get these deals? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭starling.

Nokia 3410 :)

I've had my current phone for 4 years, still going strong :D (Although I've lost the back of it and it turns off for no reason and it can only store about 50 messages. Still works though, 'tis grand!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

First phone was a Philips Savvy.

had the Axel F tuuuune on it as standard :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Senna wrote: »
    The base of it was the battery, weighted a ton, but fully portable.
    Yeah 088 number, think the first eircel mobiles were 088 as well.

Does anyone remember the mobiles (actual mobile, not big brutes like i posted above) that took a whole card, not just the cut out sim card. You had to slide the credit card sized sim in through the base of the phone.

My first mobile was the nokia 1610 the sim card in that was the size of a credit card, 1996.:eek:
    Still have the same number( eircell had to add a 2 to the begining of it cause they were running out of numbers!! )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I can remember meeting a guy from the Wildlife Dept on Rockabill Lighthouse around 1986, He had a rotary dialled cell phone contained in shoulder bag with about a three foot telescopic antenna coming out the top. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Nokia 7110.

This is why, at 0:35.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Copper23

lol @ 3210 being peoples first phones... how young are ou guys?

First phone was a Siemans Zack Morris model... haven't a clue what its called really but it was huge, had a flip down speaker pad and you extended the aerial when you got a call.... haha... class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

I got my first phone (motorola) in 1997,it was crap,cost a fortune to make a call,no text messages and i had to hang out the upstairs window to get coverage :D , thought i was the business though,lol. Still remember the number,it was 088 (*******).

The nokia 5110 was my next one,god i loved that phone,charge it around once a month,throw it out windows,drop it in water etc and still perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Anyone ever seen the movie Hard Target 2 with Van Damme (1993) ??

Terrible movie. But I always remember one scene where Lance Henriksen who palys the bad buy is using a mobile phone - omg its hilarious - the phone is so big it literally wraps around your head and has a four foot aerial on it. I mean its almost as big as Dom Joly's phone. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I got my first phone when i was 15. A 3310, the greatest phone ever made. That was before Eircell became Vodafone. Ah the memories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

1992 motarolla something, huge heavy phone,holding it in your pocket was a no no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Anyone ever seen the movie Hard Target 2 with Van Damme (1993) ??

Terrible movie. But I always remember one scene where Lance Henriksen who palys the bad buy is using a mobile phone - omg its hilarious - the phone is so big it literally wraps around your head and has a four foot aerial on it. I mean its almost as big as Dom Joly's phone. :D

Michael Douglas, Wall Street, 1987.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Anyone have that one friend who would always say "i'll never get a phone" :D

Yet would always expect you to make the phone calls, when people were late/lost etc

1229080374-27569-0.jpg

First, took some hamering until a forklift rolled over it.
    It only cracked the screen but used that as an excuse to get this

siemens-m35i-1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

Lumen wrote: »
    Nokia 7110.

This is why, at 0:35.

Had a couple of those loved the slide and the scroll wheel. But the phone in the matrix was a modified 8110 the 7110 wasn't available in time for the movie.

Anyone remember a Sony phone with a flip down boom mic on the side a mate used to have one round about 1996/97 I think it was an 088 analogue phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,480 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Something like this one around 1996/97

qovd3c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭pcardin

I had Ericsson GF768 and that was in 1997 I think.
    It was cute and small in coparison with other brands those days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

I had one of these :D

http://tiny.cc/79q4x

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Mammanabammana

Lots of people here talking about how much they miss snake, soooo...

1 - Go to YouTube and pick any video (but preferably one that's pretty dark at the start for reasons which will soon become apparent)
    2 - Pause the video at 0:00
    3 - Make it fullscreen
    4 - Press down the left arrow button and while you're holding it down, press the up arrow button
    5 - Ta dahhh!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Siemens C10, then the C25, great phones. I also made a point of not getting a Nokia phone like seamus..

I think I still have the C10, but the C25 has gone to the big recycling plant in the sky I think.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

1229080374-27569-0.jpg

siemens-m35i-1.jpg
    I remember that was one of the first in ireland with "Internet", IIRC it was only on Esat Digifone.

Anybody else have a Philips Savvy? I remember my sister got one cheap when she went to college back in 1998. Absolute crock of sh1t.

http://4532.ru/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/philips-savvy.jpg

Alter-Ego wrote: »
    I remember that was one of the first in ireland with "Internet", IIRC it was only on Esat Digifone.

Anybody else have a Philips Savvy? I remember my sister got one cheap when she went to college back in 1998. Absolute crock of sh1t.

http://4532.ru/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/philips-savvy.jpg

I got the Motorolla instead of the Savvy

People used to love the Savvy because it did a Fortune Teller thing
    I hated that

The internet in the Siemens M35i was so bad. The old WAP would barely let you see what was in the cinema, while tearing through your credit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Got my first phone when I was in 6th class a Nokia 3210. Still have my same number since then.

Lost it in my garden when i fell out of my pocket found it about a month later and it was prefect after been out in all weather.

Dropped it down the jacks while the toilet was flushing. Left it dry out for a day and was prefect.

Used to slide it up and down my estate road during the summer days when I was bored.

Phone took awful abuse and never broke:cool:

Stupid phones now days are sh1te a little drop and they are fecked and if nothing happens to them i find after a year or so the battery is fecked and stuff start going wrong with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

1229080374-27569-0.jpg

siemens-m35i-1.jpg

Bought one of those Motorola I was sold on the idea of mobile internet. But the phone was ****e hated it with a passion used the credit and sold it within a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

If you are over 25 and never owned a 3210, then you weren't worth knowing. Haha. It was actually about my 4th phone though.

Does anyone else remember the listings in the backs of magazines where you texted in a corresponding code and they changed the Network Operator Logo to some other very basic pixelled picture, word or pattern? A bargain at about 3 quid a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I was 12 when I got my first phone. It was a 3330.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Do you remember your first mobile phone? Im young so i might still have mine somewhere it was a sagem myv-55 back in 2004/5 every teenager had that phone at the time, I think it was the first budget camara phone.

http://www.cellular.co.za/phones/siemens/archive/siemens_c25.htm
    This one. Proper fanny magnet it was. Beating them off with a ****ty stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Dr conrad murray

Its a crack im back, yeah standing on the
    rooftops shouting out baby im ready to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

siemens-m35i-1.jpg

I had that at one stage too. I loved that phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

I was 12 when I got my first phone and really wanted a 3210, but got a Motorola brick!!
    Got a 3330 for my birthday the year after though and was delighted with it-loved them lil bouncy smiley faces as a screensaver! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

http://www.gsmarena.com/ericsson_gf_768-107.php

i was the bomb, didnt even know what texts were when i had it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gargleblaster

Snakeblood wrote: »
    http://www.cellular.co.za/phones/siemens/archive/siemens_c25.htm
    This one. Proper fanny magnet it was. Beating them off with a ****ty stick.

i had no idea that a phone could be a fanny magnet. :eek: wtF?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

First phone was a 3210 got it out of my communion money. Think it was 150 pound with a free Westlife cd (that I still have for some reason :P), thought I was getting a bargain...ah so innoncent/stupid :o.

Moved on to get a 3210 and then a 3200 (the one with the see-through covers that you could add 'awesome' templates to, good times).

Bring back button phones!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Do you remember your first mobile phone? Im young so i might still have mine somewhere it was a sagem myv-55 back in 2004/5 every teenager had that phone at the time, I think it was the first budget camara phone.

Yeah 1.3 megapixels was the future!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Motorola StarTAC...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Nokia 5110. Nearly bomb proof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Ah, back in the day of buying "Mobilar" phones from the travellers.

And "Similar" cards. Because they were similar to the wan I sold ya last week.

First phone (that I remember having) was a 3210, but for some reason, I think I had a 3110 as well.

Had a 3310 as well. Still have it in my junk drawer, but it won't turn on, battery is knackered. Never got one of the 3200's, but I wanted one.

Had one of those Dual Sim things for the 3210/3310 (can't remember which one) It was a massive thing on the back, with a connector to the sim part, where you stuck in 2 Sims. Handy for the border jumpers like myself. One Orange, one Vodafone (or whatever they were calling themselves)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

This was my first phone..about 100 years ago! I dont even know why I had it considering I only knew 1 other person with a mobile..and we worked together. No texts I imagine,but then again I was afraid of my life to mess up the menu by looking at it :D. It also cost a fortune to actually use it so I dont think I did too much!!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT8-Rg_UdkfQU9crN3ZYNLf8cy07yilEd1PasgTCbOI4_i0BlvVGQ&t=1

Oh yes..I just remembered. It would only work if you had a signal...so getting one would involve a lot of waving the phone above your head and standing perfectly still when you got the signal, in case you lost it.
    Ahhhh yes..the good old days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

bronte wrote: »
    This was my mum's first phone

http://www.tmn.nu/blog/wp-content/422_1.jpg

A philips diga that was on eircell.
    What a brick that yoke was! Text messages had to scroll across the screen!

That was mine too way back in 97/98! :eek::eek::eek:

Advertisement