Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First mobile phone

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Mine was an Ericsson GF768, got it in 1999/2000, my God what a piece of crap. But it was a pretty blue colour!

None of my friends had mobiles for about another 2 years anyway though so didn't get much use except for my mother calling me to see where I was :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

1999 I had a motorolla startac

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_StarTAC

None of my friends had a mobile so I didn't really use it for anything but dang I thought I was sh1t cool:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

dont know if its been posted already, but mine was the mitsubishi trium
    got it in first year in college, some special offer i think
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d8/Mitsubishi_Trium_Galaxy_MT-040.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

The aul Nokia 5110.
    Didn't even vibrate:(
    Best thing it had was interchangeable covers.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

It was a motorola,don't know what model but it was a brick of a thing,got at the start of 2001,then In the summer of 2001 I got a trium,great phone :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

3510i in 6th class so 2003-4, everyone in my class who had a mobile had one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

callaway92 wrote: »
    Nokia 3210, and I'm sure that's the same for many people here!

aye, thats the one

toilet proof and bomb proof.

them were the days....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭GEasy

3310 was where it was at . Every man and his dog had one in '03 . Covers for a fiver to boot too. BEAST!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

First phone was an Ericson somethingorother. BOI gave it to me when I opened a student account with them, if I remember correctly. I might even have the manual lying around somewhere...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

A Panasonic GD70 back on the Esat Digifone network (think I selected the Night Owl package :cool:) I miss the new text sound the phone had.
    http://www.wapzon.com/images/pro/panGD70.jpg
    I'd say you could have beaten someone to death with the thing and it'd keep on working. Became a Nokia fanboy after that until I went iphone. Something running android will be my next purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

I never have and will never own a mobile phone. Don't believe in 'em.

Sent from my iPhone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Good question, my first phone was a brutal panasonic, then I got the 3210. That was a sweet phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

1994, Old NEC Brick, Used it as a Paperweight for a while too
    yea i rember them:eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

GalKiefer wrote: »
    A Panasonic GD70 back on the Esat Digifone network (think I selected the Night Owl package :cool:) I miss the new text sound the phone had.
    http://www.wapzon.com/images/pro/panGD70.jpg
    I'd say you could have beaten someone to death with the thing and it'd keep on working. Became a Nokia fanboy after that until I went iphone. Something running android will be my next purchase.
    had that one aswell. Thought it was the best thing ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

i rember the old analog cell phones when mobies started coming into being around 1995 with the [088] number wow how things have progressed:eek::eek::eek:
    the one i have now even has sex with me:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Ah memorys in here !!

First phone was Panasonic grey yoke g something I think. Had good few nokias all the classics I remember company called dial a ring they had ads bk paper or mag ring up enter code send u ring tones logos the lot.

50 odd pound phone bill at home one month da killed me lol had the number blocked found out cause ya I tried to ring it again :-) lol

Those Siemens c25 s were coolest thing going at time looking up the big long section of codes online u could key in to make ringtones some where awful!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

I remember company called dial a ring they had ads bk paper or mag ring up enter code send u ring tones logos the lot.

50 odd pound phone bill at home one month da killed me lol had the number blocked found out cause ya I tried to ring it again :-) lol

And ... when ... you ... used ... to ... call ... them ... the ... voice ... spoke ... really ... slowly ... and ... with ... a ... pause ... between ... every ... word ... so ... you ... would ... have ... to ... pay ... more ... for ... the ... call ............................................................................................................................
    ..............................................................................
    ....... Thank You!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭Funky G

ah bless the memories.....

my first phone was an NEC that my brother owned and yes on the eircell 088 network! it was the finest paperweight NEC ever made.

then i went gsm on eircell again - fcuk your android or apple sh1te....to go digital then back in the late 90's was the dogs bollox!!!!

the first nokia i had was a 6150 - which i traded in many years later and i think is in current use somewhere in Nigeria.....i had to buy a vibrating battery for it at the cost of £60 from some cellular shop in Fairview as i could never hear the bloody thing ring, no matter how much loud i put the ringtone!

http://www.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=http://www.pawsalava.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Nokia-6150-Black-and-White.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.pawsalava.com/nokia-black-and-white-cell-phones-with-antenna/&usg=__NpzyYDvq1-ZfFU14XK9naYWM_JI=&h=330&w=306&sz=15&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=wTr1FA-MOL8CHM:&tbnh=166&tbnw=153&ei=XIxvTZSKEY6ChQeWss1B&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dnokia%2B6150%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26channel%3Ds%26biw%3D1270%26bih%3D822%26tbs%3Disch:1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=307&vpy=498&dur=155&hovh=233&hovw=216&tx=103&ty=181&oei=XIxvTZSKEY6ChQeWss1B&page=1&ndsp=27&ved=1t:429,r:21,s:0

nokia were the choice of phones in the late 90's early 00's - hey if you can use it when your are pissed and you wanted to make a booty call, it worked....but since i'm a married spud now, those days are long gone....

i still have a nokia 6310i - one of the finest phones ever made. talk, text, bluetooth. mine has been walked on, thrown against a wall, possibly beer spilt on it...and yes, i just checked it, it still works!!!

most phones nowadays the wont last pissing distance and they just go to pieces

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I remember my dad had an 088 mobile - the old analogue ones.

Don't remember what mine was though. Some Nokia anyway I guess, which is still the make I use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTp7I0ErK90RF7iuFtIZ0xBuJeKfzZB-QZ8pyQJJ-kwnzNdXIDv

Beast of a phone. Perfect for working outside.
    Dropped it in water, dropped on the ground a few times and never a problem

They don't make tough phones like this anymore,
    Still have it and I'll charge it to see if it still works

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Funky G wrote: »
    i still have a nokia 6310i - one of the finest phones ever made. talk, text, bluetooth. mine has been walked on, thrown against a wall, possibly beer spilt on it...and yes, i just checked it, it still works!!!

most phones nowadays the wont last pissing distance and they just go to pieces

I believe that phone was so popular they released it again years after it went out of production.
    Unbelievably tough and perfect if you just want a simple phone that does its job well. No stupid fancy features on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Cathaoirleach

I had the first 'Ready To Go' prepay phone from Eircell. It was on the old analogue 088 network and had an aerial. I was the envy of all!

http://i.imgur.com/FJzT4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭Funky G

I believe that phone was so popular they released it again years after it went out of production.
    Unbelievably tough and perfect if you just want a simple phone that does its job well. No stupid fancy features on it

dont think nokia reproduced it but here are a few recon's going around on the net for €30-€50. very easy to unlock also

wont work on the 3 network thought, as you must have a 3G handset to be on their network

the usual suspects O2, vodafone, Meteor still support it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Daegerty wrote: »
    And ... when ... you ... used ... to ... call ... them ... the ... voice ... spoke ... really ... slowly ... and ... with ... a ... pause ... between ... every ... word ... so ... you ... would ... have ... to ... pay ... more ... for ... the ... call ............................................................................................................................
    ..............................................................................
    ....... Thank You!

Haha ya i remember you would be screaming down phone at them.

Even worse when u get the ringtone and it turns out to sound nothing like song its meant to be :P 5 pound to the jacks.

I remember when me mate got that matrix phone nokia 70 something or another the excitment of playing SNAKE 2!!!! lol and racket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

nuxxx wrote: »
    :) Everyone had them! They were tough out too, practically indestructible

I literally used to throw my 3210 full force at the wall just to wind up my mam. It probably still works to this day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

I had the first 'Ready To Go' prepay phone from Eircell. It was on the old analogue 088 network and had an aerial. I was the envy of all!

http://i.imgur.com/FJzT4.jpg

THERE IT IS!!!
    That was my first phone too. Actually it was my Dads but he gave it to me as he hated being reachable at any time. About a month after he gave it to me, he found a bit of paper in the van with a phone number and IMPORTANT written on it, so he rang it from another phone and it was me, sitting in college. He was clueless with phones. Still is to this day.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭GV_NRG

mine was the nokia 3220 awh what a phone!!! i had it for like 3 years and it still works to this day. all i remember is printing the codes off the internet for making the music on the phon... awh the good old days..

im only 17 but still they were the good old days! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Mine was some form of Motarolla, back on the 088 network. It was huge, about the size of a small army tank. If I ever wound up in a fight while using this phone, I surely would have been able to beat a man to death with it. Damn thing was a lethal weapon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

I've still got my first mobile phone and it still works. It's a Sagem MW3020 and I bought it from Woolworths on November 7th, 2002 for £40. A very basic phone, makes calls, sends texts, plays various tunes (including "Women of Ireland") and has a few games, "Mini-puzzle", "Mini Golf" and my favourite, "Megabox Conquest". Oh, and it has a green monochrome screen.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

my first phone was a nokia 3510i, from 2002, I have used it every single day from then and it's sent/received ~100000 texts. Now that is value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭auditek923

Siemens C10 12yrs ago now time flys!

http://www.gsmarena.com/siemens_c10-84.php
    my 1st also

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭DitzyPoo92

Haha bringing this post back up :D

My bro gave me his old Nokia 3310 in 2001. I thought I was great because I was the first one of my friends who had a phone. I was only 9:D. The 0 and the 8 button were broken (the most important numbers!) so I had to bring a pen with me everywhere I went in case I had to use the 0 and 8 buttons and take the whole cover off and jab around with the pen for about 5 mins to get the number to work:) Thought I was great haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/gammagoblin/10479669593.jpg

Motorola with an extendable aerial on it.

Anyone remembers Eircell?:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

My first phone was a Panasonic GD30 back in 1997. There was no SMS service then even though the phone had the facility. I kept sending message to people in the hope that someone would message me back. I cant remember when the messaging service started but think it was a year or so later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

A radio one connected to the the phoneline, it had a range of about 50 metres, which is better then meteor.

But I hear meteor is better these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

CJC999 wrote: »
    My first phone was a Panasonic GD30 back in 1997. There was no SMS service then even though the phone had the facility. I kept sending message to people in the hope that someone would message me back. I cant remember when the messaging service started but think it was a year or so later.

Think you have the model numbers wrong. GD30 was my 1st phone but it wasnt announced until 99/available 2000

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭SteppingStone

Mine was on 088 network. It was a Motorola ph. I'm sure i couldn't send texts at the time, only calls. Weighed a ton and had a huge aerial. I thought I was the sh1t with that ph lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

seamus wrote: »
    I got one of these on 087 in early 2000. Savage big yoke, I can't find a picture of one online, it's like they never existed :(.
    A year later, and I managed to find picture of one.

Motorola d520. Awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

Mine was a Panasonic GD52. Amazing specs :D

Made a lovely loud chirp noise when I received an sms :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

my first phone was a nokia 3510i, from 2002, I have used it every single day from then and it's sent/received ~100000 texts. Now that is value for money.

Post a pic to prove, or GTFO :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Nokia Ringo - anyone remember those? It was an 088 number, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

Nokia 3210. Really great phone, lasted me about 4 years :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Motorola d520 was my first. Dad got an upgrade for work and gave it to me in 2000. Retractable aerial, no names coming up to show who sent a message to you so you'd need either a good memory or not many phone numbers in your phonebook. It was on Eircell at the time and was a pure brick of a yoke. My dad thought the credit stayed on the phone and sim card too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Mine was an Ericsson T10 when I was 17. Got myself a summer job and dumped it for a Nokia 3210 fairly quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_2110

The year was 1998, i was 12 got 1st of all my pals to get a phone. t'was the dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

Mr.S wrote: »

I was probably the first person to get robbed on the boardwalk. They took my 8210. Couldn't hear the bastids coming cos I was listening to the radio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

Philips Fizz....myself and the girlfriend (now wife!) got a matching pair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

I remember getting it. it was a phone. I made and recieved calls on it. it wasnt a red letter day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭padraig.od

AIB gave out free ones to freshers in 2000, whatever that was. A Sagem maybe. It had a little pull up aerial and everything. No snake though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement