Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First mobile phone

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

Siemens C25

1195-1-c25_14.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Conbhar

An light blue Alcatel 303 one touch from about 98/99 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

A Nokia 3210 back in 2001

An 088 Eircell Ready to Go Motorolla in 1998

The size of the thing and the HUGE ariel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

http://www.byemobile.com/bigimages/Panasonic/GD35/1.jpg

This one. It had WAP! But that picture is a lie, it had a yellowy green screen like all phones then. The coolest thing to do was to have the aerial coming out of your buttonhole in your denim jacket (ALL the rage in 2001) pocket...cringe..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Nokia 5110, and I thought it was the business.

Best phone for snakes by a mile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

Jarren wrote: »
    http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/gammagoblin/10479669593.jpg

Motorola with an extendable aerial on it.

Anyone remembers Eircell?:p

I had one of these also, on the 088 network - if the battery ran out you could use 4 AA batteries instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I can't believe how quickly phones have developed. I remember I had a Nokia and 1 of its selling points was i could change the cover and that was probably less then 10 years ago.

Now my Galaxy is unbelievable in what it can do and how useful it is. Its almost a Star trek tricorder. I seen some of the prototype phones utilising a new material Graphene on tele and we "aint seen nothing yet".

PS I love my Samsung galaxy one of my better phone choices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Jammy Donut

Got a 3310 when I was about 6/7 :D

I remember the first person that had a camera phone in school was a 3200 (I think) when we all had 3310s.

Got a 3220 for my 10th birthday. :)

Best phone EVER is a 6310i hands down, My Dad still uses his one and iv one as a back-up :) So simple to work on, and iv a box of spares :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Mine wwas 1989 a Mitubishi MT 3 here but in the attached link called a MT 599 http://vintage-mobile.livejournal.com/29482.html

O the fun I had was working for one of the few business at the time selling them so had one, was a youngfella at the time so used get the bus to work, the joys of having a phone ring in 1989 on the Number 2 bus in Cork. Also remember I was shown how to set up the phone had to go get the phone in to a programing mode to enter mobile number details as in the number alloted to the phone this was pre sims, there was a scanning function in there the fun I am informed, of being able to listen into any other call on the cell you happened to be in, there was some dirty feckers around back then I am told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

A Sagem MW3020, a snip at £40 in 2002, the cheapest mobile phone I could find. Nothing special about it, just calls and SMS and a green monochrome screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

Nokia 6610i.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I got the first mobile that came out- about 1990-was using in-van radios before that(CBs) and just thought the mobile was the bomb. Downside was the first ones were hard-wired into the vehicle, had a house phone reciever complete with curly cord, were the size of a briefcase and rang by beeping the vans horn. Then Motorola brought out the brick with the rubber aerial, whoa, waay cool. You could also use it in a fight to club your opponent sensless, a feature that I no longer require from my phone.
    My latest is the new Samsung tough phone and I love it. For all non-techno people(ie auld men like me) its the best phone ever.

Mine was a Panasonic GD50 in 2001 on Digifone. I didn't even want a phone at the time but it was given to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

3310 - still have it and still use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Mine was the Motorola m3288 way back in 1999 - what a fliipin stupid brick of a phone! Still works though. It tore a hole in every coat and pair of jeans I owned at the time with that stupid aerial!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

Nokia 3310

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Panasonic GD50-bought it for about £20 from my neighbour. As far as I can remember it could hold 12 texts! Oh how my eyes were opened to technology when I upgraded to the GD52, it could record 15 seconds of audio for a ringtone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

i had this thing.. i thought i was the cats pyjamas

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭codrulz

callaway92 wrote: »
    Nokia 3210, and I'm sure that's the same for many people here!

when I was 4! :eek::cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iguy

Mine was a Nokia 1100, it was a great phone!
    I have it seven years and it still works, its my back-up phone for when my 'modern one's' break down.
    It goes to show that the best phones were the old ones, especially nokias.
    en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_1100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

neil_hosey wrote: »
    i had this thing.. i thought i was the cats pyjamas

I had the same one.
    Had it in 1998 I think.

Then moved to Nokia after that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

I was given a motarolla phone from a friend who didn't use it as no one else had a phone who was given it by her Dad as he didn't use it either.

I literally had no one to call but I was a bad ass with my 3x AAA battery phone ariel and all, no texting, no games but when they came in on the 3310 - mind blown!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Yeah, owned by eircom. Sold out to Vodafone

Now eircom trying to push emobile. Think they might have missed the boat there.

My first was a green Ericsson GF768 (pre-Sony days), single-line LCD display and flip-down cover:cool: I miss it!
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_kHh0SOSpETQ/SNoB2id1rGI/AAAAAAAABqA/eFYURshRv6A/s320/Ericsson+GF768.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Nokia 3210... I wish. It was a ****ty vodafone-sagem brick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

My first phone was a Panasonic GD450 digifone, built by Bord Na Mona at Lullymore briquette factory:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Motorola with an extendable aerial on it.

Yep and a great phone it was.

My brother had a brand new spanking Motorola in 1991.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

First phone was a silver Panasonic GD450. Good phone in its day! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Think you have the model numbers wrong. GD30 was my 1st phone but it wasnt announced until 99/available 2000

Maybe, i just googled panasonic GD and it looked like the one i had but maybe not. I got it as a present on 14th Feb 1997 as a valentines present.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Mine was a motorola something like this 1 below.

33430.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭niamhx

Mine was a motorola something like this 1 below.

33430.jpg

Did that come in a big plastic box ? That's the only thing I remember about mine.

http://mobile.softpedia.com/phones/Motorola/Motorola-T2288.shtml
    My first phone was a motorola T2288
    I think it might have been called something else here, like a T888 1 or something.

It took 3 AAA rechargable batteries
    It had a screwed arial, and if you took it off the phone was useless.
    Id didnt have the capability to display names when you got messages, only the number
    It had no games
    When you put in a new number, you had to assign a slot number between 1 and 99. If you used the same slot numer you replaced the existing slot number.
    Couldnt get new ringtones or change operator logo.

Apart from the batteries it was a piece of sh1t.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

A Nokia 3100, wasn't a bad phone either, never any problems with it. Had a newer Nokia more recently, not sure of model # and can't find on GSMArena which was a pos. Crashed regularly especially when text messages wern't deleted, remember the phone thinking I had 3, 000 text messages (certainly not that popular ;P ) and taking 30 minutes to delete them all.

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

Sony CM-H333 or ‘Mars Bar’ phone circa 1993

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

AFC_1903 wrote: »
    A Motorola Talkabout 180 - and it still works. It rose like a Phoenix from the ashes after a toilety death! :eek:

It stored 10 messages, did not connect the names of senders to messages (thus enabling/requiring you to learn friends numbers) and came with a free diskman! Plus it came with better ringtones than my current phone!

Think that was the one I got but it was a darker blue colour. Was 50 quid at the time in the local shops and I was 15 years old back in 2000. I persuaded my ma I needed it for work......I was a lounge boy at the time.

I then got a Nokia 3210 eventually, even got the faux slide down plastic cover yoke to try to rip off the phone from The Matrix. Some piece of sh*te it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

niamhx wrote: »
    Did that come in a big plastic box ? That's the only thing I remember about mine.

You could be thinking of the old Ready to Go packaging
    Big clear plastic with a purple backing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

Mine was a 3310. Got it in 2nd year in school. The deal was that I had to get over 70% in all my exams in 1st year or I would get one. Never worked so hard in all my life :D. Had it for 3 years and got a sony ericsson T630 after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Sync

http://galeri.uludagsozluk.com/7/panasonic-gd30_1926.jpg

Only had it a few months, then upgraded to the 3310 :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement