Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best lens for Press Photography

• 01-03-2011 3:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

Could I ask those of you who are experienced photographers what in your professional opinion would be the best lens to use for press/pr work.

During the past week or so I have being doing a documentary module for college and was covering the election and the count in Limerick. I found it difficult to get good shots - I was told that I was too polite! I know I just wasn't quick enough to get myself into the right positions. I know that this would come with experience.

However, I did notice every press photographer differed with their lenses. I had a 70-200 on one camera and a 24-70 on the other. (Canon user) but I would be interested to learn from experienced photographers. I don't think I would be cut out for Press work :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

What Body would the lens be mounted on?

How close will you be to the subjects?

I have not done this type of photography but the two lenses at f2.8 on Full Frame bodies would seem to cover most situations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

I have a 5d mark II and a 50D.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i think you'd be sorted with those two lens, 70-200 maybe is a bit ott but sure if you can fork it out, go for it, a pretty prime might be handy for the shots you can compose a little easier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ValueInIreland

angeleyes wrote: »
    I had a 70-200 on one camera and a 24-70 on the other. (Canon user) but I would be interested to learn from experienced photographers. I don't think I would be cut out for Press work :)

Those two lenses are the most popular choice of Press Photographers (especially the f2.8 versions). For any "fluid" situations, I would avoid prime lenses, especially if you are working with other Photographers, as Murphy's law states that you will always have the wrong focal length lens mounted at any given opportunity!. Depending on what type of Press work you like / get, then an Ultra wide and a fast Telephoto for sport would be the next items to consider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

basic setup for press photography .... would be those two lenses, with a body and flash....or if you dont have a full-frame body then change the 24-70mm for a 16-35mm.

if you are expanding then over time .... 16-35mm, second body, second flash, and then depending on if you cover sports or not.... large primes 300mm, 2.8, 400mm f2.8 500mm f4 or 600mm f4 (its upto you if you want the IS version or the non-IS version)

Are you 100% you want to get into press photography? - there's not a lot of money to be made from it !!! .... but it is generally a relaxed atmosphere.... patience is the key - on some jobs ... you could be sitting around for 6/7hours and then might have to work for 10-15seconds.

ALSO - its very important you have a laptop and access to internet (including backup access) .... sometimes you need to send images within minutes of taking them.

EDIT: unless you have some specific area exclusive to you then you will be competing against Press22 ... which are a trusted and well established Press Photo Agency based in Limerick (your location according to Boards)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

There was a photography show in Cork ran by MacSweeneys for charity, yesterday I think. I couldn't make it because of lack of cash. But they had one seminar on Press Photography ran by one of the guys in charge of a Cork press agency. Maybe someone here did make it to it and can relay what the advice was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

70-200 + 24-70 for me, covers everything. Two flashes also and usually have a flash bracket and battery pack to power the flash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

5490327008_9349314fa0.jpg
    Liz Mc Manus count 2011
    Used a 70 - 200mm f2.8 lens at 200mm and flash

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭conair01

when ever i do any press work i carry the 24-70 f2.8 and the 80-200 f2.8. but of recently when i carry the 80-200 f2.8 its been hurting my hip due to the weight of the lens. going to purchase a dual camera strap

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dual-2-Double-Camera-Binoculars-Shoulder-Strap-Harness_W0QQitemZ230566001754QQcategoryZ64343QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7437909646268535017#ht_5359wt_905

I have never seen a press photographer wearing one of those.

the closest I've seen has been someone with a hip-pouch for lenses ....most photographers just get on with it.... every reportage photographer I know has had back/neck issues at some point (its inevitable due to the way the equipment is carried)

Best way to avoid it is to not carry as much equipment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭hoganpoly

Dont think i,d like to hang 2 camera,s /lens worth a small fortune out of a 20euro strap, plus you,d get some looks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

PCPhoto wrote: »
    I have never seen a press photographer wearing one of those.
    I always wondered why this is the case. Wouldn't you expect that someone who has to carry heavy equipment around on a daily basis is doing it in the most comfortable way?

sometimes you have to give up a comfort in order to get the job done,
    off the top of my head
    - I've been on my back lying on the ground with a wide-angle (in public),
    - standing on a 10ft wall hand holding a 600mm lens,
    - standing on the top of unsupported ladders holding heavy gear ...all in order to get something different or sometimes because thats what's needed to get "the pic" ... most of the time it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I've been in scrums of media with 10-15 photographers, a couple of TV cameras, loads of reporters and the usual well wishers and members of the public who just want a nosey !! .... even taking pics of Enda Kenny last Sat night in the Burlington was madness.... everyone fighting to get close (while also walking backwards and not watching what or who is behind)

it can be tough going - how do you explain to the office that you didn't get a pic because the other photographers blocked you while they got their pic...its not an easy profession to do....but it does have its advantages, even if its sold out I can get access to almost* any concert in the country, any major sporting event you can get in for free** .... you sometimes get to meet and take photographs of international movie and music stars... and other celebs.

* = sometimes management dont permit photographs
    ** - ahem ... working

Advertisement