Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want my new bike!!!!!

Options
  • 01-03-2011 5:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

:mad: I have recently bought a 1996 vn800 and was told the day after i handed over a serious chunk of money that i would have to wait till the 8th of march to pick it up as it has to be re registered as it was on english plates!!!
    I also spent about €1000 quid on gear (helmet, jacket, pats, boots etc...)
    Surely there is a better way of re registering bikes than having to take them to an NCT centre!!!!
    Really annoyed that i cannot get on this bike at the moment as i want to do some modification to it!! :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Bikes don't need the nct. Do you mean it was wrote off and needs an engineers report?
    If the only problem is that its on English plates then all it is as far as I know ya pay the vrt. Get your plates then Robert is your mothers brother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Whiteyie

Yea, the store is looking after paying the VRT etc on the bike but apperently they have to now be brought to an NCT centre to be re registered under my name.
    Before it could be done online from the store but now this is the way it has to be done according to the store! bike is perfect as i drove it a few times before I bought it!

That's odd.

Thats what i said when he said it to me the other day on the phone! I have to drop in an address to him tomorrow so might get some more detailed infomation from him!! Tomorrow what am i saying in a few hours!! Damm night shifts!!
    :mad:

Yeah find out what he is on about. There's no such thing as nct for bikes. Considering nct is a car test lol. All you need to do is sign the ownership form as the last owner did and then send it away to get it in your name.
    Ah night shifts. I'm hogging down me last can lol.

Stick up a pic of the bike once ya get it.
    This your first bike?

• Advertisement

Yea i laughed aswell when he said nct centre to me!
    First proper bike, I messed around with some 50cc and 125cc years ago but have decided on the vn800 to get me back into it in a big way! Yea will stick some before and after shots up when I get it and when I do the changes I want to do to it!

Nice one. Nothing wrong with 125
    cc everyones gotta start somewhere(I know ya didn't mean that ina bad way). your gonna have some smile on your face when ya get the new bike bud.

No, Certinally nothing wrong with the 125cc at all, most of my mates still have theirs but I'll need a little more power as I'll be using it more often than not to get in and out of work etc... 800 makes a bit more sense!

Don't forget to shave your head and grow a beard now lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

And get a few tatts. at least you'll look the part.

• Advertisement

Now now lads, I don't think I'll be going down the road of tats and beards!! Just a few nice changes to the bike will do!! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Needs to be brought to the nct centre as they check reg, mileage & frame number against the V5

Ah ok, thanks for the info. That doesn't bother me as the store are looking after the cost of that and the re reg of it! Just annoyed they can't get a spot till the 8th!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

As far as I know you can ride with the Nct booking letter. Get that and your bike off the shop. Only requirement is that it's booked in for vrt inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

Yeah they have a new system for vehicle registration now. I got a 2011 bike and to get the registration, instead of just faxing in the info like normal, the guy I bought it from had to make an appointment and bring the bike to the NCT center. Same thing to register a UK vehicle in Ireland

Yea, was in the store this morning and he said that any second hand bike that is on English plates has to be now registered this way!!! Sucks but hope the good weather stays around for another few weeks so I can get out for a good ride!!!

Ha that's mad.

seanybiker wrote: »
    Ha that's mad.

Sure sucks bums when ur waitin to get your new bike on the road!!!

Tell me about it!
    And such a lovely day outside, perfect for sn afternoon drive round where I live!!!

Whiteyie wrote: »
    Tell me about it!
    And such a lovely day outside, perfect for sn afternoon drive round where I live!!!

I know your pain! But it could be worse, when I did finally get my bike I still had to break in the engine and couldn't go over 4,000 rpm (under 60km/h) for 500 miles (not km)! And then under 6,000 rpm (just over 80km/h) for the next 500! At least when you do get your bike you can tear into it like a fat guy buying a bakery!

• Advertisement

I know your pain! But it could be worse, when I did finally get my bike I still had to break in the engine and couldn't go over 4,000 rpm (under 60km/h) for 500 miles (not km)! And then under 6,000 rpm (just over 80km/h) for the next 500! At least when you do get your bike you can tear into it like a fat guy buying a bakery!
    had to do that before. Boring as fook. There some chap on the interweb who drives the nuts outta them while driving them in and claims the bikes are better for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭hondavfr

Del2005 wrote: »
    As far as I know you can ride with the Nct booking letter. Get that and your bike off the shop. Only requirement is that it's booked in for vrt inspection.

ya thats correct , i am just after clearing mine that last day but i was told that the letter will suffice if stopped my customs

Yea but to be honest I'd rather them deal with the hassle of sorting the registration! When I get it I intend to drive the hole out of it and plan a few days off work to break her in! Just hope the nice weather stAys around!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The system before, which worked perfectly, was that the dealer brought the bike to the VRO for inspection and registration, the dealer could just walk in and get it done on the day of sale, if you needed.

Now, bikes have to be prebooked at an NCT centre before they can be registered, which leads to the delays mentioned here. I always expected this change to cause a cock up and delays to a system that worked and didnt need fixing, but anyhoo. The dealer is going by the book and theres nothing suss about the delay.

And it has NOTHING to do with an NCT test, which as of yet, they dont do on bikes. So booking letters etc are irrelevant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Oryx wrote: »
    So booking letters etc are irrelevant.

Except when it's a booking letter confirming your appointment to VRT the bike, smart ass :rolleyes:

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Except when it's a booking letter confirming your appointment to VRT the bike, smart ass :rolleyes:
    Why the name calling rollyeyes?

Just wondered would that cut much ice when you get stopped by the gardai when youre riding a bike on UK plates cos your bike should be registered?

I also got the impression there was confusion about why it needed to go to the NCT centre, and was mentioning it cos of that:
    Bikes don't need the nct. Do you mean it was wrote off and needs an engineers report?
    If the only problem is that its on English plates then all it is as far as I know ya pay the vrt. Get your plates then Robert is your mothers brother.

Just wondered would that cut much ice when you get stopped by the gardai when youre riding a bike on UK plates cos your bike should be registered?

I also got the impression there was confusion about why it needed to go to the NCT centre, and was mentioning it cos of that:

Once the bike/car is booked into the NCT for VRT inspection then of course you can drive it.

How else are you supposed to get it there?

Del2005 wrote: »
    Once the bike/car is booked into the NCT for VRT inspection then of course you can drive it.

How else are you supposed to get it there?
    Thats not what the op was asking about. They wanted their bike to ride around. I dont know of a dealer who would allow a bike out that is meant to be registered first. The dealer is allowed to hold the bike unregistered with a tan no, but not to sell it that way afaik, and also if they let it out beforehand it isnt even in the customers' name. What if then the customer doesnt turn up on the date of the booking to bring the bike for registering, or gets done for speeding, etc? In this situation, I can see why the dealer kept the bike.

How many days does a private individual get now to bring a bike for registration once its imported?

Yea guys thank for the advice, don't mind waiting cause at the end of the day when I get it I'll know that that's it and I won't have to do anything else but get out and ride my heart out!!!!
    On a lighter note I picked up my gear this morning and have a huge smile on my face!!! Just need the bike now. Hope the weather holds up for a few weeks! :)

• Advertisement

Thats not what the op was asking about. They wanted their bike to ride around. I dont know of a dealer who would allow a bike out that is meant to be registered first. The dealer is allowed to hold the bike unregistered with a tan no, but not to sell it that way afaik, and also if they let it out beforehand it isnt even in the customers' name. What if then the customer doesnt turn up on the date of the booking to bring the bike for registering, or gets done for speeding, etc? In this situation, I can see why the dealer kept the bike.
    Getting private and dealer mixed up:o Forgot they have it worst then us.

How many days does a private individual get now to bring a bike for registration once its imported?

It has to be booked in within 7 days and 30 days to complete process

Advertisement