Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is the danger of getting CJD from BSE infected cattle still lurking?

• 01-03-2011 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,752 ✭✭✭

I would think yes.
    Can people get CJD from dairy or must someone eat beef? The CJD disease is always fatal. There is no cure.
    Also I reckon with the appalling factory farming going on around the world that an epidemic is bound to break out.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There was only one case of BSE in Ireland last year. The disease is in decline.

That said, vCJD isn't good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,752 ✭✭✭Worztron

Victor wrote: »
    There was only one case of BSE in Ireland last year. The disease is in decline.

According to here there were 1,353 cases of BSE (in total over the years) with 4 deaths from CJD. I'd be very wary of the meat industry. Their prime motive is profit and will tell people what they want to hear.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,801 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Moved to Farming from Food & Drink.

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭kfk

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Moved to Farming from Food & Drink.

HB

Should have been moved to the rubbish bin forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

When we were culling the greens in the election last week, it appears we may have missed one:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

your link has it all really.
    4 deaths in 20 years. That is 0.2 deaths per year.
    yes there is a risk but its so statistically small that its not worth worrying about.
    you are far more likely to die from being hit by lightning, being electrocuted by your alarm clock or contracting salmonella from orgainic lettuce.
    There is always an element of risk in life and if you got too hung up about it you would never get out of bed.

while there was 1300 cases in that time that is not a bad thing. with compulsery testing of all cattle over 48 months it means that none of them got into the food chain.

There are far greater risks to worry about. Worrying about it is more likely to kill you than acctually contracting it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Going on Bogmans post there are a considerable number of industries to be wary of before you get within an asses roar of the meat industry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Suckler

Worztron wrote: »
    I'd be very wary of the meat industry. Their prime motive is profit

An Industry that tries to make profit? Surely not :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

According to here there were 1,353 cases of BSE (in total over the years) with 4 deaths from CJD. I'd be very wary of the meat industry. Their prime motive is profit and will tell people what they want to hear.
    The source of infection of BSE to cattle is banned (meat and bone meal). Ireland has one of the strictest regimes to control BSE in cattle. All cattle over 48 months are tested for BSE in the meat factory (brain sample). Any positive animal's carcase is destroyed. As well as that all Specified Risk material (SRM) from all carcases are incinerated.

SRM includes Brain, spinal cord and spleen. SRM in an affected animal is the greatest source of the BSE prion. The BSE prion is what causes vCJD.

The cases of BSE in cattle in Ireland now are all cattle that were exposed to infected meat and bone meal (prior ban) ie old cattle.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

There were 4 deaths on Irish roads in the past 4 days........ 4 deaths from CJD over the past 20 years, while regretable, pales into insignificance when you consider the carnage happening on our roads.

As for the prime motive of the Irish meat industry being profit- well, they'd be out of business if it wasn't. They do not however simply tell people what they want to hear- we have a world reknowned system of traceability and testing here- Irish meat is probably some of the safest meat in the world. I, for one, am relieved to get back home from abroad- its only when you're exposed to what passes as 'normal' in other countries- that you truly appreciate just how good our Irish produce is, and how lucky we are to have such ready access to high quality food, as standard- rather than as an exception.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Look at the number of cases here (note chart is in two parts): http://www.vetsweb.com/news/bse-update-considerable-drop-in-2009-795.html All indications are that those countries that are testing (and Ireland does the most testing) have the situation very much under control. While other countries may not use the intensive farming techniques that brought about the problem, there is an absence of date.

http://www.thebeefsite.com/bse-news/25820/higher-age-tests-mean-savings-of-8m

The factory farming setup is a ticking timebomb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭nilhg

The factory farming setup is a ticking timebomb.

Yep, we should stop intensive food production (or as you prefer to call it factory farming) allow half the population of the world to starve, then the remaining people would live in the style they deserve...........:confused:

The OP clearly doesnt have much experience of farming in Ireland but lets not pounce on him (or her). Lets educate or people like the OP will go and get their (mis)information from the likes of PETA.
    We all have a role as PR officers for farming.

Ireland is a very extensive farming country in western terms. Our beef system, which is what the thread is about, is probably the least extensive in europe.
    We dont have big feedlots with 1000's of cattle like they have in the US.
    Most of our suckler farmers have less than 20 cows.
    We also have increadbly high welfare and enviromental standards by international standards which is helped by our grass based production farming.
    If you are worried about factory farming then buy Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭pmct

Isn't it funny the way someone always goes on about bse when prices start to rise

What dates did the last person die in Ireland and the UK due to Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD)

It can take 2 to 8 years for symptoms to develop, making it difficult to determine if the disease has been completely wiped out.

Mad Cow Disease/BSE (bovine spongiform encephalopathy) 'can be spread through air': http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1347003/How-mad-cow-disease-spread-air.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

What dates did the last person die in Ireland and the UK due to Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD)

It can take 2 to 8 years for symptoms to develop, making it difficult to determine if the disease has been completely wiped out.

Mad Cow Disease/BSE (bovine spongiform encephalopathy) 'can be spread through air': http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1347003/How-mad-cow-disease-spread-air.html

thanks for the Daily Mail source. I dont think I will chance driving on the roads either this evening due to the amount of people that get killed on them each year. BSE was a smoke screen for the British Gov when they were under serious pressure, now my sympathy to anyone that contracted vCJD but what we were told the day the news broke by the English Gov is very different to what has played out. How many people die including my own friends from smoking each year??? and they choose to do this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

Seems there are a few people with mad cow disease around alright. Not the CJD variant however. More the good old traditional version:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Worzton if you are so worried about catching CJD from beef then don't eat beef - simple as

No need to be preaching to the rest of us who love a good steak, or a beautiful roast or any other beef cuts. God i'm making myself hungry writing this post - steak this evening it is. Fillet or striploin?? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

The veggie munching crowd just love this crap and will use anything to prove a point against beef.
    There is more chance of a cow stamping you to death than getting CJD

• Advertisement

How do people like their steak?

I'm a medium man myself. No blood but a bit of redness through the middle.

What about sauces? Yaa or Naa? Some people say no to sauce. Mushroom sauce for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

..and it was the mid 1990's when the whole BSE/CJD thing arose, measures were taken to stop the cause of the problem.

About it spreading throught the air, you can get AIDS by touching someone with that disease, but then that was made up too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Tipp Man wrote: »
    How do people like their steak?

I'm a medium man myself. No blood but a bit of redness through the middle.

What about sauces? Yaa or Naa? Some people say no to sauce. Mushroom sauce for me

Yep..
    Medium is good.. I'd rather no blood but it doesn't spoil it either..
    Fried mushrooms and onions with thick cut home made chips... leave the skins on if ya want too....

Damn... chicken tonight !

As stated in earlier posts the statistical risk of catching vCJD is so small as to be considered insignificant.

you are far, far more likely to die from food poisioning or slipping on the bath. there is procedures in place and they are working. Relax. This is not an issue

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

''Live exports should be banned outright. Cattle are being exported (and endure horrendous conditions while traveling) to muslim countries for the atrocious halal slaughter. Animals are being tortured to accommodate hocus pocus religious beliefs.''

OP is this another of your farmer bashing attempts?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

give me blood dripping out of mine ,just show it the pan and onto the plate,as long as its stoped mooing and moveing,dont forget the bottle of full bodied red wine to release the real flavour thats my sauce.:P

blue5000 wrote: »

I've suddenly developed the urge to have a rare T bone steak after mass now, with perhaps some stag hunting in the afternoon and an evening spent at the circus, naturally driving to all in a 6 litre 4x4 :D

I would always eat a some raw first to check for tenderness. My restaurant friend taught I was mad doing such a thing, now he does it all the time and tries to get his chef's do likewise.

The steak coming within the sight of the pan is perfect for me. Drives me insane when visiting friends for dinner and they say that they have a lovely bit of steak for dinner, only then for me to witness a crimation in the oven

johngalway wrote: »
    I've suddenly developed the urge to have a rare T bone steak after mass now, with perhaps some stag hunting in the afternoon and an evening spent at the circus, naturally driving to all in a 6 litre 4x4 :D

I taught you were an eco freak and rode around on a bike. Damn you actually, draining wet lands - your the work of the devil

• Advertisement

I taught you were an eco freak and rode around on a bike. Damn you actually, draining wet lands - your the work of the devil

:D

I only wear a hat to hide the horns Bob :cool:

blue5000 wrote: »
    ''Live exports should be banned outright. Cattle are being exported (and endure horrendous conditions while traveling) to muslim countries for the atrocious halal slaughter. Animals are being tortured to accommodate hocus pocus religious beliefs.''

So you say anyone that highlights animal cruelty is farmer bashing?

Nobody has answered my questions. A bunch of you have just spewed inane nonsense.

What year did the last person die in Ireland and the UK due to CJD?

What makes you all think nothing like this can never happen again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

Nobody has answered my questions. A bunch of you have just spewed inane nonsense.

go ask a bloody doctor or a funeral director instead of asking farmers:mad:

I did answer your question - i told you to stop eating beef and to let the rest of us get on with eating as much of it as possible

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Who gives a fcuk, most of us on here lost 10,000 to 50,000 each all because the japs invented a cheaper, faster method of producing meat and bone meal at too low a temperature that the food processing industry adapted world wide. There will most likely be food scares again as food processors and us farmers strive to produce quality food as efficiently as possible so that people like you don't starve.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

lads dont waste any more time with this thread

People die of CJD all the time even though the amounts is tiny and usually affecting old people. "Normal" CJD is basically Dementia.

New Variant CJD (nvCJD) is the one related to BSE which is the animal form of CJD
    None of the human CJD deaths over last 20 years (around 25 people I think) have ever been proven to have being caused by nvCJD.

anyone interested in this subject should grab a copy of a book called "Animal Pharm" by Mark Purdey

keep going wrote: »
    lads dont waste any more time with this thread

is trying to educate the ignorant time wasted?

is trying to educate the ignorant time wasted?

Do a post search ;)

Do a post search ;)

I did at the start, Now John what are your taughts on Duffy's Circus

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

I'm convinced vegeatables too have feelings:o They suffer excruciating pain, every time they are cut, washed, diced, sliced ......... :eek:

People like Wozotron, going around inflicting pain on the poor veggies ......... there should be a law against it:cool:

I've prepared 5,000 words on the subject Bob :D

(Myself and the kids had a great time ringside eating popcorn).

20120322_194211.jpg

20120322_201724.jpg

20120322_202154.jpg

20120322_202737.jpg

20120322_213414.jpg

I'm convinced vegeatables too have feelings:o They suffer excruciating pain, every time they are cut, washed, diced, sliced ......... :eek:

People like Wozotron, going around inflicting pain on the poor veggies ......... there should be a law against it:cool:

You cant even spell my username correctly. You think animal cruelty is funny? That is very sad.

I've prepared 5,000 words on the subject Bob :D

(Myself and the kids had a great time ringside eating popcorn).

You are teaching your children that animal abuse is fine.
    Cop yourself on. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I know from posting on this forum that no one supports animal cruelty.

Worztron, are you a member of PETA, or have you been on Liveline recently on RTE radio 1? You remind me of a person who was on the radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

This thread has been closed in the interest of keeping the peace.

Reilig

Mod

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement