Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greatest silent movie comedy actors?

Options
  • 01-03-2011 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭

Who was your favorite silent movie comedy actor?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Who was your favorite silent movie comedy actor? 15 votes

Buster Keaton
    0%
    Charlie Chaplin
    26%
    Raoul DukeThe SparrowconorhalPhony Scott 4 votes
    Harold Lloyd
    33%
    pinksoirDrumStevepftPunkFreudGingersnaps 5 votes
    Other –*please post in a comment
    40%
    mike65Skerries[Deleted User]johndoe99marwelieWorztron 6 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,444 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

i always loved the Harold Lloyd films and also Buster Keaton but didn't watch as much of his stuff
    Charlie Chaplin never did it for me

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

Charlie Chaplin
    Buster Keaton by a wide margin. He's heavily influenced every comedian ever since from Woody Allen to Jim Carrey and beyond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Harry Langdon - he only made 3 good features but they were copied by Harold Lloyd (hanging off that clock) and Paul Newman (standing on that bike).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Harold Lloyd for me but Buster Keatons poker face in the face of imminent disaster was notable!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

They were better known for their talkies but they had some very funny silent films as well - Laurel & Hardy.

For me though comedy doesnt really work in the silent movies. The best ones are usually Horror, dramas or docs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

I admit I'm not as up on silent comedy as I'd like to be, but I've never seen anything quite like this:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Charlie Chaplin
    For me though comedy doesnt really work in the silent movies.

:eek: Have you seen any Buster Keaton silent movies?

I haven't seen as much Harold Lloyd as I would like, but Buster Keaton was an absolutely amazing performer. This thread needs some clips.

Keaton dreamed up and did all of his own stunts. During the filming of Sherlock Jr. he actually broke his neck and didn't realise until much later when a doctor commented that his broken neck had healed remarkably well. Some of his stunts like this sequence from Sherlock Junior are truly breathtaking

He also had absolutely impeccable comic timing as you can see from this clip also from Sherlock Junior.

Keaton was also one of the great cinematic innovators. This is one of the greatest scenes in cinema history as Keaton plays a projectionist who falls asleep at his post and dreams of being in the movies. For 1924, the effects are just amazing

And some of the amazing train sequences from Keaton's masterpiece, The General

And finally, he never lost it as this clip from Candid Camera in his later years proves.

Buster Keaton - the Michaelangelo of Silent Film

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

:eek: Have you seen any Buster Keaton silent movies?

I haven't seen as much Harold Lloyd as I would like, but Buster Keaton was an absolutely amazing performer. This thread needs some clips.

Keaton dreamed up and did all of his own stunts. During the filming of Sherlock Jr. he actually broke his neck and didn't realise until much later when a doctor commented that his broken neck had healed remarkably well. Some of his stunts like this sequence from Sherlock Junior are truly breathtaking

He also had absolutely impeccable comic timing as you can see from this clip also from Sherlock Junior.

Extraordinary. We don't have anyone now who can match up to this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭Worztron

Nolanger wrote: »
    Harry Langdon - he only made 3 good features

What were those three?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Strong man, Tramp tramp tramp, and Long pants.

Here's one of his most famous scenes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Max Linder was the greatest in my opinion. His skits are fantastic and many were coppied by Harold Loyd and the like.

His main character was the dapper Max who was a well turned out, dapper fool (as opposed to chaplins tramp which followed him) who often drunk would make fool of himself

Aspects of his life are fascinating too. He was a despatcher in WWI, married a 17 year old and formed a successful suicide pact with his wife in 1925

Advertisement