Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin to Portlaoise

Options
  • 01-03-2011 10:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭

Morning all!

Just a quick one, I'm after being offered a job in Protlaoise. I'm based in Dublin and not in a position to move from Dublin. What is the commute like from say the M50 to Portlaoise? I'll be driving and I know I'll be going against traffic (traffic will be going into Dublin when I'm leaving) in the mornings and the evenings but just wanted to get a grasp of things.

Thanks a million,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

Normally takes around 45-50 mins from the red cow in light traffic and driving on the speed limit the while way. I do the reverse trip myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭Sunset V

You, my friend, are a star! That's reassuring, was very worried that I'd be an hour and a half on the road, that's much better.

Thanks a million again.

No probs :) remember though, I said in light traffic and driving as fast as the law allows. It takes me on average 1 hour to get home to Portlaoise from Tallaght in rush hour. Some days maybe an hour & 10 - 15 mins if traffic is bad. Might be worth you driving it one morning on a test run if you can

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭dagdha

It should only take 45/50 mins as the above poster said but alot of the times the traffic in Portlaoise in the morning can be manic especially coming down the Dublin road, it all depends what time you start at and what part of the town you are going to. There is a few back roads around that could help you but if not I would say you should do the journey in an hour.

dagdha wrote: »
    It should only take 45/50 mins as the above poster said but alot of the times the traffic in Portlaoise in the morning can be manic especially coming down the Dublin road, it all depends what time you start at and what part of the town you are going to. There is a few back roads around that could help you but if not I would say you should do the journey in an hour.

I'll do the test run alright.

I'll be working out the Tullamore road out of the town, out near that massive Euro Spar. I'd expect to be leaving Dublin around 6.30 - 6.45, couldn't see there being a massive amount of traffic around Newlands Cross at that time.

Thanks for the help friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭dagdha

If you are leaving at that time you should golden, there will be hardly any traffic around Portlaoise before 8:30am so you should breeze through the town. Even if there is traffic you could just follow the m7 down as far as the Abbeyleix turn off and go into Portlaoise and there is a ring road which will bring at O'Moore Park which will bring you around to Eurospar but at that hour of the morning going through the town will be quicker.

dagdha wrote: »
    If you are leaving at that time you should golden, there will be hardly any traffic around Portlaoise before 8:30am so you should breeze through the town. Even if there is traffic you could just follow the m7 down as far as the Abbeyleix turn off and go into Portlaoise and there is a ring road which will bring at O'Moore Park which will bring you around to Eurospar but at that hour of the morning going through the town will be quicker.
    Couldn't agree more :)

Thanks people, I feel I can call Portlaoise my new second / third home already!

I would've gone by O'Moore park myself but if through the town at that time is kosher then we have a winner. I owe you both a steak dinner / wrap out EuroSpar.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

You could also go n7 exit 15 take Emo , Mountmellick, and the n 80 Portlaois rd which will bring you to Euro Spar. This way you avoid Portlaois all together.
    There is an even shorter route but you would want to know the area a little first. If you want to know it contact me.

That's great, if you could drop me PM, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement