Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This mornings 8.21 from Skerries (Tuesday, 1st of March)

Options
  • 01-03-2011 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

I'm starting this thread to ask anyone who suffered the usual nonsense of the train being delayed because of the enterprise (31 minutes today, and then it showed up with 4 carriages :rolleyes:) to write to Iarnród Éireann to complain.

I've no problem with my train being held up a few minutes to accommodate the enterprise, but 31 minutes is just taking it to utterly ridiculous levels.

Any time the 8.21 is more than a few minutes late, it's ALWAYS because of the enterprise and this morning was no exception. By the time the train had arrived, everyone who was going for the 8.53 train was waiting, so two train loads of people were trying to cram on to 4 carriages. It's beyond ridiculous. If the train had not been delayed, it would have hit town at around the same time as the enterprise.

Click the link below to go directly to the Irish Rail feedback page. Please let them know your feelings.

http://www.irishrail.ie/contact_us/contact_sw_feedback.asp

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Bloody hell I'm glad I'm off work today in that case :eek:

Usually get that train from Balbriggan each morning. It's meant to get into Balbriggan at 8.13 however this is usually more like 8.20.

Was there any reason given for it only being 4 carriages long? It's usually an 8 car set.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Yeah, you dodged a bullet this morning! I have a real time app that I use to determine whether I need to run or not. :D Today it said the train was bang on time, so I was suspicious, but I ran. I got there on time, only to see that the train was initially delayed by 19 minutes. It just got worse as time went by.

There was no reason given at all. :( It was a total disaster because it spilled into the time for the next train. I ended up just going home and working from home in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

I am open to correction, but I believe I heard somewhere that in order to run trains on some new line or other (:D:D), possibly down the country that opened in the recent past, they simply took carriages off the trains on other lines.
    Coz that's what you do in Ireland when you're making things more "efficient".It's Irish Rail's way of doing business.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

About 6 years ago myself and the good lady lived out in Balbriggan. When we moved out first getting a train was never a problem and they were pretty much always on time. As our year was drawing to a close the train got busier and busier to the point that it became very full.

So fast forward 6 years and one of my colleagues who lives on the line and with who I used to commute has told me that the service is just woeful, with trains frequently late and little hope of getting a seat in absolutely jam packed carraiges.

Is this the case? We're moving back to Balbriggan and so I'll have to commute again. I've been seriously thinking about cycling instead as it would take about the same amount of time as getting the train.

dan_d wrote: »
    I am open to correction, but I believe I heard somewhere that in order to run trains on some new line or other (:D:D), possibly down the country that opened in the recent past, they simply took carriages off the trains on other lines.
    Coz that's what you do in Ireland when you're making things more "efficient".It's Irish Rail's way of doing business.

Ah it's unusual for the 8.21 to have so few carriages. It usually has the full compliment. Not sure what the craic with that was today. It just so happened that it was a double whammy because it was so late.

Is this the case? We're moving back to Balbriggan and so I'll have to commute again. I've been seriously thinking about cycling instead as it would take about the same amount of time as getting the train.

I'd say you've a reasonable chance of getting a seat in balbriggan, depending on the time of your train. I never get one in Skerries in the mornings (though I'm not arsed battling my way on to fight for one). If you have a decent bike you should consider that too of course. I'm going to start cycling one way each day fairly soon (i.e. cycle in one day, train home, train in the next day, cycle home). I cycled a few times last year. Got a lend of a good bike and I was amazed at how pleasant and how little effort it was. The bike made a massive difference though. Never knew how good a good bike could be 'til I got a lend of my brother in laws.

edit: On the lateness, I'd agree with your friend. They're becoming tardier and tardier in my experience. I couldn't give a fiddlers what their self-produced statistics say (though I haven't seen them advertise them in a while).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Khannie wrote: »
    I'd say you've a reasonable chance of getting a seat in balbriggan, depending on the time of your train. I never get one in Skerries in the mornings (though I'm not arsed battling my way on to fight for one). If you have a decent bike you should consider that too of course. I'm going to start cycling one way each day fairly soon (i.e. cycle in one day, train home, train in the next day, cycle home). I cycled a few times last year. Got a lend of a good bike and I was amazed at how pleasant and how little effort it was. The bike made a massive difference though. Never knew how good a good bike could be 'til I got a lend of my brother in laws.

I don't mind standing but sitting and reading a book is a lot nicer!

Yeah a good bike makes a tremendous difference. The road is a big factor too of course and the R132 is brilliant. Straight all the way to Swords and then it's a pretty easy run from there to the city.

One day on, one day off sounds pretty good. I might give that a whirl myself.

The road is a big factor too of course and the R132 is brilliant.

Agreed. You've a better cycle from Balbriggan than I do from Skerries. The R127 is in a bit of a state after the winter freeze. That hill between Lusk and Skerries is a disaster on the way home too. :)

I'd normally get a seat on the 8.13 from Balbriggan, there's a lot less people on the trains these days than a few years ago (no doubt due to people losing their jobs :( and the alternatives that have emerged following the Malahide viaduct incident).

Some mornings (if I don't fancy the walk from Balrothery into Balbriggan) I'd get the 101x bus in. Generally it only takes about 40 minutes into town and it drops me a 2 minute stroll away from work.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

That hill between Lusk and Skerries is a disaster on the way home too. :)

Heading into town I use the Lusk bypass (having come off on ice in Lusk in January - the road through Lusk is atrocious)

Coming home I simply cycle up the R132 to Balbriggan and down the coast road through Skerries and onto Milverton - more exercise that way;)

(It's actually only a couple of km longer to Skerries heading up past Man O' War than going through Lusk btw - a bit of a hill thrown in as well, and that road has been resurfaced)

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

Normally I'd be on the 7.52 from Balbriggan but this morning I was running late and got the 8.13.
    To be fair the driver did announce when it finally got into the City (not sure which station) that the original train was taken out of service because of having a door problem. Uncomfortable as it was but 4 carriages are far better than none!
    I've nothing but credit for IR for keeping the trains running (with minor delays) during the recent snow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Whoever said the trains are quieter these days obvioulsy aren't trying to get on the train at Rush and Lusk in the morning. many mornings lately people literally have had to squeeze on, it's nuts.

Also, whats the deal with Pearse in the evenings? pushing and shoving to get on like loonatics, even if there is only a hand ful of people in the queue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

:rolleyes: Irish Rail...Only in Ireland can one company have monopoly and still make a balls out of their service so much...

ragg wrote: »
    Whoever said the trains are quieter these days obvioulsy aren't trying to get on the train at Rush and Lusk in the morning. many mornings lately people literally have had to squeeze on, it's nuts.

Yeah...that was me. :D It very heavily depends on the train. I just avoid the mental ones. I'm lucky that I work flexitime.

I got a reply from Irish Rail.
    Thank you, for your e-mail regarding your journey on the 08.00 Drogheda
    to Bray service, the 08.21 hrs service from Skerries station, Tuesday
    1st March 2011.

I am sorry for the delay on the above service.

The reason for the delay on the above service was a delayed departure,
    due to a door problem that occurred on the set at the platform in
    Drogheda station. Our maintenance staff attempted to solve the problem,
    but to no avail. Due to placement and availability of rolling stock,
    which is limited at present, we had to split the set and operate at
    lower capacity, on the 08.00 hrs Drogheda/Bray service. Otherwise the
    only alternative option would be to cancel this particular service.

On this occasion our Central Control allowed the Enterprise service to
    pass the 08.00 hrs from Drogheda between Balbriggan and Skerries, rather
    than block the non-stop service behind your stopping train.

Thank you for taking the time to let me have your comments.

Yours sincerely,

Nice to get a reply. Good to hear what the problem was too.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

Another broken door, another delay - 20 minutes this time - today. 7.33am from Skerries limped into Connolly (and no further, even though it was meant to go to Bray) at 8.33. Northbound trains were delayed by up to 20 minutes yesterday morning for the same reason.

Is there any chance that Irish Rail could use the extra revenue from increased fares to fix these doors that seem to be causing so many problems?

Unshelved wrote: »
    Another broken door, another delay - 20 minutes this time - today. 7.33am from Skerries limped into Connolly (and no further, even though it was meant to go to Bray) at 8.33. Northbound trains were delayed by up to 20 minutes yesterday morning for the same reason.

Is there any chance that Irish Rail could use the extra revenue from increased fares to fix these doors that seem to be causing so many problems?

Thanks for shedding some light on that lengthly and unexplained delay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

I've been getting trains on that line since 1994.........going to school/college/work.
    Some things never change. And I wouldn't be holding my breath expecting them to.Been hearing the same excuses for 17 years now, it's seriously old at this stage:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

Saw this on the Irish Rail website today -
    Iarnród Éireann, in cooperation with Translink, is to begin operating a new cross-border commuter service from Newry to Dublin from Monday next 21st March.

The existing 07.10 Dundalk to Dublin to Bray service is now extended to operate from Newry at 06.45 (Monday to Friday), offering a new option to those commuting from Newry to Dublin, as well as to Dundalk and Drogheda.

The service will be operated by Iarnród Éireann commuter trains, and is being introduced with the assistance of Translink, and following discussions at the North-South Ministerial Council.

Can this train get any more crowded? It's bad enough at the moment. How about some consideration for existing passengers before they start catering for new ones?:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

No mention of a refund or compensation

AS I keep saying to London underground

SHOW ME THE MONEY

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Am I being too optimistic in assuming Clongriffin will be used to get DARTs out of the way of commuter trains? They seem to be building a 3rd track around the station

• Advertisement

EF wrote: »
    Am I being too optimistic in assuming Clongriffin will be used to get DARTs out of the way of commuter trains? They seem to be building a 3rd track around the station

That's pretty optimistic alright. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Same train, same story again this morning!

Yeah I saw. I arrived on time for the 8.53 this morning and that four carriage nightmare showed up. I waited for the next train. God bless you flexitime! I wonder what todays excuse was. :rolleyes:

Got caught up in it myself this morning too, by the time it eventually rolled halfsized into Balbriggan the next one was only ten minutes behind so seeing as it was a delightful sunny morning, I waited for the next one.

It seems that IE have lumped the 'bogie set' of carriages onto this service though, I recall there being similar trouble with an earlier train into town before a stink was raised about it and it's swift redeployment. Wonder if anything similar can be done about this one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

They used that same reason for a delayed train from Pearse to Balbriggan over Christmas as well. It was genuinely a door problem, you could see the lads trying to open the door when the train was away from the platform.

So, either it's the same train, a batch of trains with door problems, or they learned a new excuse and we'll hear it a few more times.

Advertisement