Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Beginnings - Key Issues for Mayo

Options
  • 01-03-2011 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭

With the election over and the votes counted, what's gonna be the focus for Mayo for the next 5 years? Will national issues replace local issues completely?

Being completely parochial, here is my wish list.....:p
    • Strokestown to Ballaghdereen road improvement.
    • Traffic flows in Ballina
    • Finality to the Corrib Gas project
    • Mayo General - is it being downgraded or not? How can it be protected while maintaining patient care?
    • More accountability in local government. Who are civic officials answerable to?
    • Ballina to Bohola (or was it Balla? :p:p)
    • County councillors to take more responsiblity for the TD's role?
    I'm sure I'm leaving something out.......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

finisklin wrote: »
    With the election over and the votes counted, what's gonna be the focus for Mayo for the next 5 years? Will national issues replace local issues completely?

• Mayo General - is it being downgraded or not? How can it be protected while maintaining patient care?
    • More accountability in local government. Who are civic officials answerable to?

Agree with everything on the list but unfortumately the Ballina traffic flow ( if flow is the correct term at the moment ) is the remit of the unelected powers that be on Ballina Town Council and no government can affect that ( the Town Councillors can't affect it ).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Agree with everything on the list but unfortumately the Ballina traffic flow ( if flow is the correct term at the moment ) is the remit of the unelected powers that be on Ballina Town Council and no government can affect that ( the Town Councillors can't affect it ).

MM gave a commitment on the canvass to addressing this......

MM gave a commitment on the canvass to addressing this......

Amazing how she gives committments to address things on bodies she has been on for 7 years. Or am I just cynical?

I think you forgot that she's not in a majority...that's with the FFs and Independents!

That's sticking the knife in, IMO. ;)

I think you forgot that she's not in a majority...that's with the FFs and Independents!

That's sticking the knife in, IMO. ;)

Bar one of the FF members ( less said the better ) and Gerry Ginty, all other members of the Town Council want the changes reversed. So she has support for it, shame she didn't do something about it then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

I would like to see industry and jobs coming to mayo and that needs to be the number 1 focus. With the way things are imagine if the likes of baxter or allergan pulled out......the entire county would suffer badly

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

I think HarryPotter is a bit of a sore looser, it will take a lot more than Hogworts magic to bring back his beloved FF

As for Mayo, I think the most important things that need to be worked on is sustainable energy by taking advantage of Mayo's geographical location, we can become the bench mark for renewable energy in Ireland(not Europe, Spain and Portugal are already 30 years ahead).

Start with work on the ESB grid and most importantly the Planning laws

mayotom wrote: »
    I think HarryPotter is a bit of a sore looser, it will take a lot more than Hogworts magic to bring back his beloved FF

As for Mayo, I think the most important things that need to be worked on is sustainable energy by taking advantage of Mayo's geographical location, we can become the bench mark for renewable energy in Ireland(not Europe, Spain and Portugal are already 30 years ahead).

Start with work on the ESB grid and most importantly the Planning laws

I am merely stating facts, perhaps you are too myopic to see them.

Is this not a microcosm of the country's plight? Who is running the country (or our town) - the civil service or the politicians?

Interesting take on the Frontline last night with Fergus Finlay making the point that what the Dept of Finance presents to the incoming governement may not be accurate. He then went on to say the first thing Inda is going to have to do is send someone into the Dept of Finance to determine the extent of our financial problems.

We also know that Kevin Cardiff the secretary general in the dept of Finance is not answerable to the Dail/PAC.

The reason that I have noted this here is that there is no accountability in MCC, BTC etc - the county manager, effectively, is not answerable to anyone. This then begs the question how can DC, MM etc help their constituents with issues involving MCC/BTC?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

yew_tree wrote: »
    I would like to see industry and jobs coming to mayo and that needs to be the number 1 focus. With the way things are imagine if the likes of baxter or allergan pulled out......the entire county would suffer badly

In 1 for sure. Been on the technology side as my trade and having to work in Dublin all I see is jobs in Dublin appearing on a weekly basis.
    Monthly we see telecentre jobs appearing also.
    Of course this is only 1 sector which I have knowledge in but there is no reason why they can't be down here?

Roads for sure.
    Money into green energy, as said previously wave/wind energy, tastefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I'm sure there'll be bugger all done west of Castlebar; in any case, gombeen politics is still alive and well.

Is this not a microcosm of the country's plight? Who is running the country (or our town) - the civil service or the politicians?

Interesting take on the Frontline last night with Fergus Finlay making the point that what the Dept of Finance presents to the incoming governement may not be accurate. He then went on to say the first thing Inda is going to have to do is send someone into the Dept of Finance to determine the extent of our financial problems.

We also know that Kevin Cardiff the secretary general in the dept of Finance is not answerable to the Dail/PAC.

The reason that I have noted this here is that there is no accountability in MCC, BTC etc - the county manager, effectively, is not answerable to anyone. This then begs the question how can DC, MM etc help their constituents with issues involving MCC/BTC?

They can't, which is why it is disingenuous of her to say she will deal with it. Short ofn her drafting legislation and guiding it through the house there is nothing she can change about it. I think its scandalous that the majority of the representatives elected by the people of the town of Ballina can not over rule a decision made by an unelected official of the council. All this waffle of political reform annoys me, we have the structure if they would give that structure some power. Don't abolish the Seanad, County Councils or Town Councils, give them some power to actually make a difference to peoples lives.

Don't abolish the Seanad, County Councils or Town Councils, give them some power to actually make a difference to peoples lives.

With my cynical hat, on what's the point of politicians if they can't effect change? The traffic system issue is a reflection of the overall state of politics and shows who is actually running the country. :mad: or :( Not sure which I am?

yop wrote: »
    In 1 for sure. Been on the technology side as my trade and having to work in Dublin all I see is jobs in Dublin appearing on a weekly basis.
    Monthly we see telecentre jobs appearing also.
    Of course this is only 1 sector which I have knowledge in but there is no reason why they can't be down here?

Roads for sure.
    Money into green energy, as said previously wave/wind energy, tastefully.

This is a fair point and an admirable point of view. Why can't Mayo people get work in their own county (or even their own country!)? I have some friends that work in the multinationals in Mayo and one problem is recruiting the right people with the right skill set & experience. One company was looking for a supply chain role for over 5 months! In the end the role went to someone outside the county!

With my cynical hat, on what's the point of politicians if they can't effect change? The traffic system issue is a reflection of the overall state of politics and shows who is actually running the country. :mad: or :( Not sure which I am?

I know the Town Councillors find it extraordinarily frustrating especially as they represent the people. Would take major legislation at this stage to change the whole thing, if Enda plans on abolishing the Seanad and reducing the number of TD's by 20 ( which should be fun as he will be basically telling some of the newly elected FG and LAB TD's they will be out of work in a few years ) perhaps it could be included in that.

Local Government hasn't changed since the foundation of the state and even then it was based on the UK model of local governance.

Interesting anectdote from Diarmaid Ferriter's history of Ireland series recently. After the Civil War and the Local Government Act 1926 there was on going problems in Kerry between the councillors and the officials. The councillors were having it all their own way.

The Minsiter for Environment at the time took a school master from a school in drogheda (who had fought in the war on independence and civil war) and made him the county manager. Obviously he got his few hundred pounds and a car which was extremely generous at the time.

On his first meeting with the councillors in his office, the latter made several demands and place their revolvers on his desk, showing that they meant business. With that the county manager reached into his drawer and took out his revolver and also placed it on the desk.

Needless to say that was the end of that!

The point I am making is that there is no accountability in the system nor is there a desire to change it (despite the token efforts of the 2001 Act).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Shopping list for incoming government for Mayo.

1. N5 - bring Ballaghadereen - Strokestown and Castlebar - westport parts up to standard of rest of N5.

2, Broadband for entire county at reasonable rates.

3. Upgrading of ESB grid.

4. Local Government
    (1)- proper financing to replace domestic rates revenue lost in 1977

(2) retention of Town Councils especially planning and housing functions - they brng local governement closer to the people.

5. St Patricks Day - a great world wide brand for promotion of the country for tourism and industrial investment. Afaik no other country has SPD parades etc in so many venues. We should build on this.

Ministers, and other national and local authority politicians should get out to all these parades. They should build up the contacts and enhance the goodwill there for the Irish.

Grousing about the expense is small minded. We have to promote the county.

6. Pressure on the IDA to bring more FDI into the county.

Above will do for the first 100 days - will then have a further list.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

nuac wrote: »
    Shopping list for incoming government for Mayo.

1. N5 - bring Ballaghadereen - Strokestown and Castlebar - westport parts up to standard of rest of N5.

2, Broadband for entire county at reasonable rates.

3. Upgrading of ESB grid.

4. Local Government
    (1)- proper financing to replace domestic rates revenue lost in 1977

(2) retention of Town Councils especially planning and housing functions - they brng local governement closer to the people.

5. St Patricks Day - a great world wide brand for promotion of the country for tourism and industrial investment. Afaik no other country has SPD parades etc in so many venues. We should build on this.

Ministers, and other national and local authority politicians should get out to all these parades. They should build up the contacts and enhance the goodwill there for the Irish.

Grousing about the expense is small minded. We have to promote the county.

6. Pressure on the IDA to bring more FDI into the county.

Above will do for the first 100 days - will then have a further list.

+ the Corrib Gas flowing, in the national interest.

I suppose we are going to have to get used to this.....

Claims by Fine Gael and Labour negotiators that the public finances were “worse than they thought” were dismissed by Fianna Fáil frontbencher Dara Calleary who said that such comments were a prelude to abandoning their election promises.

“The very solemn, but equally predictable warnings by Michael Noonan and Joan Burton should be seen for what they are, a softening up exercise in advance of the inevitable abandonment of their various uncosted and cynical election promises,” said Mr Calleary.

From today's IT. The Mayo 1 in opposition........

Well both Noonan & Rabitte last night said the level of info coming to them now is way above what they were given for the Budget. Calleary is trying to feather his own nest and get some early shots in. He is guaranteed a front bench position, so I can only conclude that he is angling for a high post. With any luck at all, he will only get that far for at least 12 to 15 years.

• Advertisement

Well both Noonan & Rabitte last night said the level of info coming to them now is way above what they were given for the Budget. Calleary is trying to feather his own nest and get some early shots in. He is guaranteed a front bench position, so I can only conclude that he is angling for a high post. With any luck at all, he will only get that far for at least 12 to 15 years.

Or of course maybe hes just right and they are bull****ing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

fibre optic broadband for castlebar, the current exchange is creaking at the seams.

i like to see the hugely dangerous stretch taken out of the N17 where the 4 young women lost there lives a year ago.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

irishgeo wrote: »
    i like to see the hugely dangerous stretch taken out of the N17 where the 4 young women lost there lives a year ago.
    Seriously? I mean, I know I'd like to see a decent road there (it is a national primary route, after all), but I've driven it at 100km/h flat several times without feeling I was pushing my luck at all. It's really just not that bad a road.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭queensinead

No, but you're putting something in.

The Strokestown to Ballaghadereen road is not in Mayo.

Both towns, and the road connecting them, are in Roscommon.

Yeah fair point I could have expressed this clearer....it's related to improving the N5. This is a vital piece of infrastructure for Mayo for both inside and outside the county. A recent submission by the MD's of major multinationals in Mayo (Hollister, Allergan, Baxter, BB etc.) highlighted this particular stretch as vital to their business to the NRA.

It is important to bear in mind that benefits accrue to Mayo where other improvements are made to infrastructure outside of the county. Plus the reverse of this is where only partial benefit's from a project go to inside the county with the majortity going outside e.g. the Corrib gas field. It's a two way street.......

I thing Ring is peeved that he didn't get a ministerial portfolio.....remains to be seen if he will get a Junior Minister role. He was on Pat Kenny show this am and though magnanamous he certainly wasn't flush with the joys of Spring.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Seriously? I mean, I know I'd like to see a decent road there (it is a national primary route, after all), but I've driven it at 100km/h flat several times without feeling I was pushing my luck at all. It's really just not that bad a road.

I'll put my gaff on it that you won't go around that bend at anything 100km/h. The section of road between Ballindine and Milltown is just as bad as the N5 between Ballagh & Strokestown.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

I thing Ring is peeved that he didn't get a ministerial portfolio.....remains to be seen if he will get a Junior Minister role. He was on Pat Kenny show this am and though magnanamous he certainly wasn't flush with the joys of Spring.

Seems like he was a bit betrayed by Enda imo.. Without him, Enda wouldn't have gotten in in '02, and Fine Gael would never have gotten 4 seats in Mayo. He's the hardest working TD I've seen in Mayo and always willing to listen to the people and take what they say on board.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I'll put my gaff on it that you won't go around that bend at anything 100km/h.
    I might, if I wasn't guaranteed to be stuck behind someone doing 60km/h.
    The section of road between Ballindine and Milltown is just as bad as the N5 between Ballagh & Strokestown.
    Another road where I can maintain 100km/h when there isn't someone practicing hearse driving techniques up ahead.

Don't get me wrong - both roads desperately need an upgrade, but mostly so that there will be room to overtake people who seem to believe that because they're not in a hurry, nobody else should be in a hurry either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I might, if I wasn't guaranteed to be stuck behind someone doing 60km/h. Another road where I can maintain 100km/h when there isn't someone practicing hearse driving techniques up ahead.

Don't get me wrong - both roads desperately need an upgrade, but mostly so that there will be room to overtake people who seem to believe that because they're not in a hurry, nobody else should be in a hurry either.

Even with passing out lanes they still stick out on the outside lanes. Outside strokestown, outside Mullingar, both have passing lanes and week in week out the inside lanes are empty and they just sit on the passing lane doing < speedlimits. :rolleyes:

Advertisement