Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen unit hinge repair

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

How badly burst is the unit op?

If it's not 2 bad u can try moving the hinge plate back a few mm, the hinge will have adjustment to compensate for this

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

It's not awful but it did take away a good chunk of chipboard with the screws. I'd say I'd need 10mm at least would there be this much play to move back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

n0brain3r wrote: »
    It's not awful but it did take away a good chunk of chipboard with the screws. I'd say I'd need 10mm at least would there be this much play to move back?

Is there,by any chance, a unit adjacent to the one you burst? If so you could screw the hinge on in the same place using longer screws that will reach deeper in and grip into the cabinet next door. Use woodscrews instead of the blunt-nosed types standard to door hinges - making sure the woodscrews are sufficiently large in diameter.

If there is such an adjacent cabinet and if there's no hinge on the side you're screwing into, you could do even better by using nut's and bolts after drilling a hole right through the two cabinets.

If the missing chunk prevents a sound seating surface for the hingeplate then fill first with some woodfiller

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Is there,by any chance, a unit adjacent to the one you burst? If so you could screw the hinge on in the same place using longer screws that will reach deeper in and grip into the cabinet next door. Use woodscrews instead of the blunt-nosed types standard to door hinges - making sure the woodscrews are sufficiently large in diameter.

If there is such an adjacent cabinet and if there's no hinge on the side you're screwing into, you could do even better by using nut's and bolts after drilling a hole right through the two cabinets.

+1

Or just get some "metal" stock and make up the metal plate like you've shown above. Most hardware stores will have metal stock / brackets with holes already drilled so I'd be surprised if you couldn't find anything to suit.

Is there,by any chance, a unit adjacent to the one you burst?

No unit just the washing machine.
    +1

Or just get some "metal" stock and make up the metal plate like you've shown above. Most hardware stores will have metal stock / brackets with holes already drilled so I'd be surprised if you couldn't find anything to suit.

Just back from BnQ I picked up a flat bracket I need to cut it down and drill a hole or two.

Can I compensate for the hinge not being flush with the cabinet now? The plate is 1-2mm thick

• Advertisement

If anyone is interested I made up a plate like the one in the link above and it's perfect some minor adjustment needed to get it square but it's sorted now and stronger than when it was new :D Thanks to all the replied

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

If anyone is interested I made up a plate like the one in the link above and it's perfect some minor adjustment needed to get it square but it's sorted now and stronger than when it was new :D Thanks to all the replied

Well done. Thats the simpleist best fix i have ever seen.

I have some across this problem so many times. I usually just move the hindge.

Where did you get the plate to make it up

There's a section in B&Q with angle brackets and it was a flat plate mixed in with them cost €2.70. 10 minutes in the shed with the hacksaw and drill and it was paired down to size 15 minutes later I was congratulating myself for a job well done with a corona and no ear full from herself!
    It was so much easier than I thought the only place you might have trouble is fixing the hinge to the plate but I got a tight fit with the original screws so happy days :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Good work!

If I could get the exact plate in the link (http://www.woodfit.com/product_info.php?cPath=114_335&products_id=434&Name=Hinge+Repair+Plate+-+Bright+Zinc), I'd happily buy half a dozen of them for future emergency repair jobs!

Anyone know if they're available here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

There's a section in B&Q with angle brackets and it was a flat plate mixed in with them cost €2.70. 10 minutes in the shed with the hacksaw and drill and it was paired down to size 15 minutes later I was congratulating myself for a job well done with a corona and no ear full from herself!
    It was so much easier than I thought the only place you might have trouble is fixing the hinge to the plate but I got a tight fit with the original screws so happy days :D

So are the screws locked into the plate rather than the wood?

and if the plate would you need to use a threading screw i wonder to thread the plate or perhaps a flat bolt at the back before you fix the plate.

• Advertisement

Rancid wrote: »
    Good work!

If I could get the exact plate in the link (http://www.woodfit.com/product_info.php?cPath=114_335&products_id=434&Name=Hinge+Repair+Plate+-+Bright+Zinc), I'd happily buy half a dozen of them for future emergency repair jobs!

Anyone know if they're available here?

I don't know but it looks like you can order on-line there's a number on the site maybe give them a shout and see will they ship to Ireland I was in a hurry to get it fixed yesterday and didn't bother.
    So are the screws locked into the plate rather than the wood?

and if the plate would you need to use a threading screw i wonder to thread the plate or perhaps a flat bolt at the back before you fix the plate.

Yeah locked into the plate there's almost no wood left to screw into the screws pulled out a cone shape of chipboard. I drilled the holes in the plate to be slightly smaller than the screws and I'd a couple of small nuts and bolts in case it didn't work but the old screws did the job perfectly. The holes left behind when I leaned on the door left plenty of room for the nut if needed.

Advertisement