Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dust evils

Options
  • 01-03-2011 11:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭

Has anyone here built a system to be dust-free? Many of the nice cases now have an intake on the top - my new one has a 200mm fan on top - and a filter that won't stop anything smaller than a cat getting sucked in.

I saw an article wherein the author used vacuum cleaner filters to clean the air, but I wonder would this serve to starve the airflow and cause heat problems.

Has anyone here tried successfully to eliminate dust? What suggestions do you have?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'd assume water based systems are better but it wouldn't surprise me if the electronic parts themselves were attracting dust.

I just replaced my PC and it was manky inside and I did clean it somewhat regularly. I expect the new Haft case to be an absolute hover.

My friends old Pc got replaced recently (The one that had the CPU in the wrong way) I don't really know how the old PC was still running, never cleaned looked like the inside of a hover bag.

The only way to eliminate dust is to make the case airtight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Intake at the top? I would have thought that they generally have that as an exit, considering that heat rises. How dusty is your place? I think it's fairly dusty around my PC, but it's nothing that a quick clean every ~6 months wouldn't sort out. I've seen ones that ended up overheating because they got so clogged.

I think that picking suitable fan speeds is a good idea. I have a pretty high speed fan at the front and you can see the dust in a few days. Fan control would reduce the dust, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Re the top fan, you are probably right - that should be outflow! Duh, must check it is. Thanks

Edit: It is outflow. So, so long as the PC is always on no dust gets in the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Maj Malfunction

You can't beat a can of compressed air every couple of months to blow all the dust out of the PC. Works a treat and doesn't involve any fancy modding.

The last thing you want is a CPU or GPU with a nice big woolly jacket of dust surrounding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

The Coolermaster CM 690 II case has a nice feature of Mesh with holes and
    an inner flexible mesh with smaller holes.
    Definitely traps a lot of the fluff and stuff from getting into the case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

To be completely dust free with watercooling You need 2 compartments, one on the bottom for pumps, rads, fans and power supply with all the other components in a sealed off top compartment with the fans removed.

Some cases like the Lian Li V2000 allow for this, mine will be completely dust free when I get my new gpu (hopefully 2moro) and get it on water.
    lian-li-pc-v2000-plus-2-5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭Nollog

I just fiddled with an old pc to get it working again, and I'm sure I swallowed a metric ton of dust.
    Not good with asthma.

Someone invent some anti-dust shields please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

My sisters PC stopped working having been on for a few minutes. We figured it was heat. When we cleaned it you could have made a sweater with the heap of dusty fluff.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Hoover every now and again and air dust every now and again.

Reasonably clean atm but only a matter of time till the dust revolts and becomes sentient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Careful with the hoover, they create lots of static, best get a can of compressed air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

I find the mesh filter in my fortress to be a great job. Couldnt believe the amount of fluff on them when I first pulled them out - and the inside of the case is spotless. All cases should have these filters

I had the case on a carpet floor at first which was probably not a good idea. I have it on a table about 2foot off the ground now which should help cut down on the dust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

This reminds me to buy a can of compressed air. Coming up on a year now system I got my system. Haven't opened it since getting it.

Advertisement