Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat and mouse

• 01-03-2011 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭

I live in a semi-d in Dublin, Yesterday morning, I was looking out the kitchen window while eating the breakfast and I noticed a mouse (it looked like it would fit in the palm of my hand) creeping in and out from under the shed, feeding on something that dropped from a bird feeder
    I have been putting fat balls out (hanging in a feeder from the shed) and not far away I have a bird feeder pole with a seed and nut feeder.

I had wanted to keep feeding the small birds that have been frequenting my garden until it got warmer and that it was likely there would be seed/buds growing and insects for them to eat, now I'm concerned I'm attracting mice, never ever seen one around here, is it likely they will approach and try get into the house through small cracks?

There are a few cats (couple big ones and few females) roaming around so I thought I never saw mice because they got them all or the cats' scent kept them away.Also last night a medium sized cat, that looks like it is just past being a kitten was meowing like mad when I went out the back to put rubbish out, I fed it some tuna and milk but it was extremely wary and I think it is a stray, I left the remainder in a plastic tub on top of one of the bins so mice couldn't get at it/to try not attract them near the house (the food and remaining milk was gone this morning but the tubs were still on the bin)

Should I take in the bird food/not replenish it when it is finished to prevent it encouraging mice?
    If I feed the cat is that going to deter mice and then also the birds? some feed off the ground (finches?)
    Or should I just get some traps and set them near the shed?

thoughts

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

You could move your feeder to a new position and clean up the old feeding area.
    Personally I would continue to feed the birds. If it is a mouse it probably just wants a slice of the pie :)
    I would be more worried about rats so i wouldn't discourage your cat from keeping an eye on proceedings!
    When I lived in the country we uses to have a tiny woodmouse who would arrive at the birds feeding area and scurry off with some seeds and fruit.
    http://conserveireland.com/mammals/wood_mouse.php

I wouldn't set traps unless they are "rats".

Might also be worth posting in the Nature forum!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=406

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Thanks,
    Can a mod close this, I posted it in the nature forum

Advertisement