Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1st Telephoto zoom lens

• 01-03-2011 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hello people :)

I need help please choosing a telephoto zoom lens. I currently only have one lens with my Canon 500d (Sigma 18-50 F2.8). I need something with a bit more zoom. These are the 3 main Canon lens I know of. Can anyone recommend one to me? It doesnt have to be a Canon brand lens but would like a decent build quality one. I am also not working at the moment so my budget isn't great. Cheers

1) Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS Lens
    2) Canon EF 75-300mm III F4-5.6 USM Lens
    3) Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Objective

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

You could try the Tamron 18-270mm
    I have a few Canon lenses but the Tamron for its versatility is on the camera more than any of the others http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=5214&setcurrency=eur

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

have a look at the sigma 70-300 apo dg

see if you can get it second hand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Diabalo wrote: »
    1) Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS Lens
    2) Canon EF 75-300mm III F4-5.6 USM Lens
    3) Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Objective

In order of preference: 3, 1, 2.

Unfortunately, this is also the order of price. The EF 70-300mm IS USM
    is around €400 or maybe slightly less for a good used example.

The 55-250mm IS is a reasonably good lens. Optical and build quality
    is similar to the 18-55mm IS kit lens.

As you are on a tight budget, a used Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO
    is about the best bang for your buck. I paid around €100 for a used
    one in mint condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Pity it's not a nikon you're after as there's a sigma going on adverts now and seller says he'll let it go for 80. But they come up all the time as people get them as a starter Zoom and pretty soon move on to better. Nowt wrong with them, grand for good daylight conditions. They're not the fastest so not the best for sports or capturing birds in flight. But for general use they're sound enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Hi there,
    for general-purpose use I would recommend that you go for a lens that has IS - it is useful at longer focal lengths. I have had the 70-300 IS that you mention above for almost 3 years now & found it very good.

I just sold mine for eu350 - I expect you should get a used one in vgc for that price.

Photozone.de is a good review site & may help you decide.

-FoxT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Diabalo

Thanks everyone for the replies. Wasn't expecting so many!

Hopefully I will pick up something you all recommended to me and it will serve its purpose.

Thanks a million
    Diabalo

Advertisement