Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Wall Insulation

• 01-03-2011 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

I have a small (150 sq ft) flat roof extension to the house . It is constructed of single course 4" (I think) solid block. Dry lined , pebble dash outside. The roof is also insulated. There are three external walls one window and patio sliding door. The room is used as a tv room and thus we spend a lot of time in it. I was thinking of insulating the external walls as I think there are now good products available for this kind of application. Would be grateful to know if anyone has any experience of this and would recommend as diy project ?
    Many thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭brendankelly

It is not a DIY job. There are a lot of DIY people at it at present and there are horror stories from all around the country. I have heard of one company that sells the entire system and guarantees it for 10 years which is good. You will have to use their installers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

I wouldnt recommend external insulation. (purely personal). seen it done on a few jobs and thought it was a bit flimsy and extended out the reveals and opes too deep. cills were flashed in aluminium in one job and seemed to be better than pouring extensions onto existing cills. dont think its a good diy project. theres a lot of hidden problems that could occur.
    also make sure you have the depth on the soffet to allow for insulation. the roof had to be extended in one instance i seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭makfli

Thanks to all for the advice , I think it probably is a job for the pros. There is a concrete parapet containing the roof and this extends only about 3 " so this could well be an issue . The cills also extend approx 3". I suppose it all depends on the thickness of insulation. Good point as well about the reveals.

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

1chippy wrote: »
    I wouldnt recommend external insulation. (purely personal). seen it done on a few jobs and thought it was a bit flimsy and extended out the reveals and opes too deep. cills were flashed in aluminium in one job and seemed to be better than pouring extensions onto existing cills. dont think its a good diy project. theres a lot of hidden problems that could occur.
    also make sure you have the depth on the soffet to allow for insulation. the roof had to be extended in one instance i seen.

Its getting quite popular down here but like yourself I don't really like it at all. I walked by a roadside bungalow that had been done and just tapping the wall with my hand you get this hollow sound, I reckon even the smallest impact and damage will occur, mind you the finished job looks fantastic but...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 ratem

you really need to decide why and how much you want to spend on this project. From first hand experience as an installer the external insulation is not a diy job in fact none of this work should be undertaken without good advice.
    You need to consider whether a well installed internal insulating job might be more than adequate.
    if you want to pm me we'd be happy to look at the job and advise on options. no charge for that long as you a aren't living a million miles from our base

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭dwiseman

All you need is 2 hammers and you can climb up the outside of any house that chooses this system as if you were on an arctic adventure, it poses a serious security problem imho.

Advertisement