Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shoes and Socks!

Options
  • 01-03-2011 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I think it's probably about time I got my footwear sorted out for playing basketball. I've been recommended ebay for shoes but haven't a clue of brands or anything like that. There's a sports shop in Dun Laoghaire that has a small rang of "And 1" shoes around the €75 mark, I don't know if this a good brand and how the price compares to what I could get online but it would have the advantage of getting the right fit first time, no messing about with customs and missing the post man and delays etc etc. If I can get a much better pair for the same price online I'd go for that though but to be honest, at my level, I don't think it will matter too much but I probably should be concerned about ankle support as I'm heavy enough and tend to be all over the place when I play :o

Also, have had a fair few blisters after games and during the game it can be really offputting, I saw some great reviews of "Thorlo" socks and they have a range for basketball ones here: http://www.amazon.com/Thorlo-Unisex-Basketball-Crew-White/dp/B0009MZTJ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298977106&sr=8-1 pricey enough alright but could be worth the investment since I'll hopefully be playing 5 days in a row some weeks so don't want blisters getting in the way. Has anyone used these socks? I've heard duct tape works too :)

edit: big list of socks here too!

Any feedback appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Vinnie K

Any of the And1's that ive used were a decent shoe, just go with a style that you like and that feels comfortable, you could have a look in one of the footlocker shops around as well. Since there your first pair dont go mad price wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Da GOAT

sportsdirect.co.uk or .com have tons of and 1s if u want them. cheap delivery, no import tax. 75e for and 1s is expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the replies :)

That's sportsdirect site looks pretty cheap, £20 average for And 1's? Doesn't mention about shipping to Ireland on the UK or "Overseas" pages at all, but I guess it's only an extra £15 or so.

Has anyone experience of using socks like the ones I've linked to with regards blister prevention?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Da GOAT

for socks i bit the bullet on eastbay.com but its silly prices for nba socks.

sportsdirect isnt even 15£ i dont think. also get on nike.com/europe, no extra charges etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

My friend is going to Vegas in a few weeks and offered to bring me back a pair of shoes (no import duties or VAT :P) so probably a good offer to take up, just wondering if there's any particular model of shoe ask for? Want a decent pair that will last considering I play at least 5 hours each week indoor and out. Good cushioning is a big plus as my knees are a bit dodgy. Have felt the soles of some pairs of basketball shoes and they seem to be a lot harder than the soles of the current runners I wear. I hear hyperdunks are supposed to be pretty good. Budget not really an issue since I'll be avoiding import duties and using them so much and I'd rather invest in a decent pair that will reduce risk of injury.

• Advertisement
Advertisement