Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Slate / Bar Rumba - solve an argument

Options
  • 01-03-2011 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭

Ok there's a couple of beers between two mates riding on this one....

Anyone know when Bar Rumba changed to The Slate ? - I thought it was late 2008, but my mate reckons late 2009 ?

Anyone know ?

ta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

2008 I think as I remember being in there, summer 2009.
    PM the Bowery on Facebook, they own it so should settle the argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Good Man Good Man - I'll pm them - 2 beers in a recession is worth 4 in 2008 terms lol...

Is it the same owners or did Rumba go bust ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Was it that recently?! I could have sworn it was way longer ago. It DEFINITELY wasn't 2009 anyway. I'd be surprised if it was even 2008. I'd go with 2007 at least.

poconnor16 wrote: »
    PM the Bowery on Facebook, they own it so should settle the argument.

What's The Bowery like?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

Defo wasn't late 09!
    I was there for my buddy's birthday in either March '08 or '09. Most likely 08!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

This blog post indicates that The Slate has been there since at least mid-2006. That fits with what I remember. You're both miles off!

Faith wrote: »
    This blog post indicates that The Slate has been there since at least mid-2006. That fits with what I remember. You're both miles off!

That's what I thought too tbh, 08 seems way too recent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I was definitely going to the Slate regularly in 2007.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

i would say it became the slate in 2005/2006!

We've obviously been lost in a haze of children since ! - Oh god I feel old

• Advertisement

Yup, defo there in 2006!
    Quick search of these forums and you can see users talking about it here and here, as well as many other threads!
    Fysh wrote: »
    The Quad : Overly dark, crappily laid out hole with manky pints. Plus they get snotty about age as if they were a far classier pub than they in fact are.
    The Slate : Right next door to the Quad but far far better, though it's still a bit annoying when it gets packed.
    Mutton Lane Inn : great pub if you can get space there, which means arriving in the afternoon rather than the evening. Hardly worth trying at weekends due to the crowds.

Looks like y owe each other 2 pints haha ;)

Nope lol closest wins in my book - 2008 is way closer to 2006 ;)

Andip wrote: »
    We've obviously been lost in a haze of children since ! - Oh god I feel old
    What the hell are you doing in a young, hip place? You should be going to the Angler's Rest old man (and Angling mod)! :pac:

Pure research :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Faith wrote: »

Confirmed, it was already the slate when my son was born in mid 2006. He was in hospital in Cork for a while, and the nurses kicked me out of the hospital and told me to go get a pint for myself, and I was surprised that bar rumba was gone so went for a pint in the slate instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

I was thinking it was before 08 alright - man wins his pint either way! :D

Same owners more or less. Fast Eddies, The Quad and Bar Rumba all owned by one crowd. Eddies is now the Bowery, Quad still lives and Rumba was gutted and totally changed to form the Slate.

Have no idea what the Bowery is like RoverJames, never been in there - anyone been? I'm always moaning that there is nowhere for us 30 somethings to go. I usually end up downstairs in the Pav.

I think Cork's great for 30-somethings - doesn't feel like there's a really young crowd in any of the places I go to, apart from An Bróg, but there's also a mature crowd there too. You could find any age from 18 to 40s. Saw a couple of fellas in their 60s propping up the bar there one night recently. :pac:
    I've friends who go to the Bowery a lot - think it's kinda like a cross between Reardens and Crane Lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Dudess wrote: »
    I think Cork's great for 30-somethings - doesn't feel like there's a really young crowd in any of the places I go to, apart from An Bróg, but there's also a mature crowd there too. You could find any age from 18 to 40s. Saw a couple of fellas in their 60s propping up the bar there one night recently. :pac:
    I've friends who go to the Bowery a lot - think it's kinda like a cross between Reardens and Crane Lane.

True Cork has lots of pubs that seem to aim at late 20's and thirty somethings. Cant stand the brog though, always end up with one of us getting agro from some weirdo. Last time I went that nights particular weirdo had spent most of the night trying to pull girls by getting attention after throwing himself to the ground with a pretend epeleptic fit.

As for the slate, I went there mith present girlfriend over 3 years ago and had been going there regularly for well over a year before that.

The Bowery will be v good over the summer got a great outdoor smoking area overlooking the peace park. Ive been a few times but only when ive gotten free passes/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭ofcork

In a way i dont think cork is great for 30somethings nightclub wise at least,to me the only two are the bodega and scotts,everywhere else is too young.What i miss is decent music in clubs,all they seem to play is mostly chart nowadays oh how i long for klub kaos again.

Dudess wrote: »

What defines the something lol

I'm a very very young 46 (10 years on boards in April) so do I qualify for 30 something + 16 lol

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Bar Rumba was the place next to the slate to the right I thought.

It was called the Quad or something wasnt it before the Slate?

Sshhhhhh Ive collected !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

castie wrote: »
    Bar Rumba was the place next to the slate to the right I thought.

It was called the Quad or something wasnt it before the Slate?

No, the Quad is the bar next to the slate now.

Advertisement