Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monkstown Ring Road

Options
  • 01-03-2011 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭

This is the relatively new road that hooks up Stillorgan Park down to Deansgrange - what is the story with the bloody ramps??

Stillorgan Park itself has some of the most sensible ramps I have come across, possible to drive over them at or around the speed limit without wrecking the suspension, and then you come onto the new bit of the road - are the idiots actively trying to dissuade people from using this after spending however much money building it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Cathaoirleach

This ring road was planned back in 1972 to link Stillorgan to Dún Laoghaire.

I believe the project resurfaced in the early nineties, and again in 2004, and there was staunch resistance to it by local residents.

The council agreed to traffic calming measures, eg. RAMPAÍ RAMPS.

Residents were also offered free double glazing at one stage. rolleyes.gif

It can hardly be called a ring road now. It's a pain the fúcking arse road. Reminds me of Avondale Rd in Glenageary - You'd be quicker taking the long route without the ramps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

So were the ramps put in to more or less placate the residents? I had assumed it was some form of:

'well we have to build the damn road, but we will make sure no-one uses it by sticking in ginormous ramps because we hate cars'

rather than
    'well we have to build the damn road, but we will make sure no-one uses it by sticking in ginormous ramps in case the residents complain'

If I am honest, neither reason would surprise me :)

I avoid the damn road like the plague, drive down Newtown Park Avenue instead and then take a right at the end of it to avoid ramming the car over the ramps.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

The ring road passes through housing estates and it is entirely reasonable to have ramps installed when there are kids etc in the area.

As for the ramps in Stillorgan park being more sensible, I find that they are completely pointless tbh. We actually used to speed up as we approached them when we were younger. They may as well not be there for all the traffic calming they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

The road is also right next to a school, so thats probably why there are ramps.

Now why they are so bloody awful is another question.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

I think the road is separated from the housing estates by a wall?

The ramps are ridiculously large. I assume the speed limit on the road is 50kmph. Excuse my great leap of intuition, but should it not be possible to go over ramps on a 50kmph road at 45kmph without wrecking your car? Stillorgan Park ramps I believe are ideal as it is possible to drive over them at about 45kmph with no fear of damage to your car. Legislating in every case for the idiots in our society by way of inconveniencing everyone else, for example byplanting massive ramps everywhere, is typical nanny-statism and pointless interference in law-abiding citizens lives.

If the great underachievers in DLCC could busy themselves sorting out some actual problems (like managing to build a road that has been planned for a mere 20 years rather than 40) rather than easy politically-correct fixes such as bloody ramps someone somewhere might forgive them the other blatant idiocy of their other decisions such as pedestrianising DL main street (in a lightening fast period of 3 years)then pulling it all up and turning it back into a road....morons.

I can think of many busier roads with more frontage to estates and schools without ramps - Churchview Road in Ballybrack immediately springs to mind - with no ramps at all.

My assertion is that spending millions building a road, which as pointed out has been on the plans for 40 years, and then placing ridiculous ramps on it is dumb, panders to anti-car brigade and pointlessly inconveniences everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Thing that annoys me most about these ramps is that the do nothing but hamper emergency services. No point oin using the road when it actually increases their journey time.

Advertisement