Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Students Rag Week Trouble

Options
  • 01-03-2011 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭

Looks like they are at it again with trouble reported from various estates in the City ref Galway Bay Fm News, going over the new bridge yesterday evening there were Garda and Fire vehicles in the Dun Na Corrib estate with the place looking a complete mess broken glass, tin cans,and a fire.

Will they ever cop on and stop this crazy vandalism

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

any links to stories?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Shocking altogether. Ban students, no wait ban alcohol, no wait ban the university.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Mad hoor One-upmanship.

Makes me sick.

A bit of noise in a student estate and a bonfire hardly world war 3.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

A bit of noise in a student estate and a bonfire hardly world war 3.
    I assure you that it's several times worse than what's going on in Libya or Christchurch.

Sitting here in my Safe European Home, don't wanna go back there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

didnt the university try to ban rag week in the last few years?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭fago

Passed by Dun Na Coiribe this morning and it looks like some of them forgot to bring home their empties from the bonfire yesterday.

Today is even nicer out - I'd say the college are praying for a week of heavy rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

didnt the university try to ban rag week in the last few years?

Yes the college did ban RAG week, this is now called College week.

Meh RAG week, its just race week for the students!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Pure muppets, anybody I know will avoid town this week like the Plague.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

I live out near there and in fairness there's been no hassle. Gardaí have been in and out of Dún a few times having a look around but there's been no reason to call them out.

...so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ban boy students.
    Drunk studentettes ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

****ers stole a load of wheelie bins in my estate and burned them in a field behind us, and I have to pay 20 quid for a replacement! Hate the ****ers, even though I was a student myself last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Pure Sound

A few fools have a bonfire, it wouldnt be news if it wasn't students

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

I was in Hazel Park in Newcastle this morning collecting a guy and the place was like a war zone, broken bottles and glass all over the place, bins turned over and empty, small walls with estate signs on them kicked over hedges torn up its a disgrace they should be ashamed of themselves. My friend told me it was a night of sheer hell and noise no sleep with shopping trolleys full of litter and burnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

This is tame compared to previous years. Granted I'm spending most of this week in the library and dont drink during rag/college/charity week anyway. I remember in my first year there being cars burned out in corrib village.

Haven't ventured into town nor do I plan to.

I live out near there and in fairness there's been no hassle. Gardaí have been in and out of Dún a few times having a look around but there's been no reason to call them out.

...so far.

its just eejits calling the guards for no reason but because the slightest sign of a crowd of people is some sort of major offence.

The bad side of rag week is massively blown out of proportion here and in galway in general imo, very few negative things worth talking about actually happen.

It was rag week here in cork a few weeks ago, very similar to the galway rag week and there wasn't a word about it, unlike galway where the slightest sign of a bit of craic is like comitting untold crimes.

Its the same people who will be out complaining about race week, which to most people is the best week of the year in galway.
    I remember in my first year there being cars burned out in corrib village.

That's simply untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

This is tame compared to previous years. . I remember in my first year there being cars burned out in corrib village.

I remember in my first year, Galway was actualy burned down. thse students this year dont know how to act!

Every year its the same, dosent the river inn bar opposite the hospital have to close during these times cause a few years ago they got more damage done to the premises then actual money taken in from sales

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Columc wrote: »
    I remember in my first year, Galway was actualy burned down. thse students this year dont know how to act!

Every year its the same, dosent the river inn bar opposite the hospital have to close during these times cause a few years ago they got more damage done to the premises then actual money taken in from sales

Most new students probably dont know the river inn exists any more. I remember being told that they used to close it in previous years during RAG week though. Dont know how true that is.

As for the car being burned out, I stayed the hell away from Corrib Village but honest friends of mine said there was a burned out car there, and paint thrown over things, windows smashed, walls of apartments taken down (for more open plan living).

Where I live (also Newcastle area) was grand last night. I slept like a log at the front of the house. Bit of noise when people were heading out but the neighbours were quiet enough coming home obviously or I'd have woken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Looks like they are at it again with trouble reported from various estates in the City ref Galway Bay Fm News, going over the new bridge yesterday evening there were Garda and Fire vehicles in the Dun Na Corrib estate with the place looking a complete mess broken glass, tin cans,and a fire.

Will they ever cop on and stop this crazy vandalism
    I cycled through their this morning (getting from cycle path along headford road to cycle path on bridge) and the amount of broken glass all over the paths (cycle and pedestrian) and road was very significant. Inside the estate the place was a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

As a student, I feel obliged to defend at least some of us, considering it's the same 10% of idiots that cause 90% of the damage. When you say "those students", remember "those" students really are just that - a minority. Even if the sheer amount of them acting the prick seems like the entire college.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭orangebud

haha next door neighbors have been playing techno music since 10 am on Sunday & its still going and what i know there all going to the gmit might as well call it rag fourth-night

i think ill head down 2 the merlin pick up a bottle of B and join them, im sick of paying this universal tax

420:P

• Registered Users Posts: 48 galway23

Just wondering if any of the posters on here defending the students actually live in any of the areas that are affected???

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Gort na Coiribe has a security guard manned gate at the entrance now.

The green opposite looks like a music festival was on there today.

Noise levels quite reasonable where I am, although I'm understanding since we have quite a few parties here from time to time :D

Only thing that pisses me off is all the broken glass and the strange shortage of parking. Other than that people seem to be having a good time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Funny those who give out about RAG week are usually the same if not worse on Paddys day or Race week

• Registered Users Posts: 48 galway23

PomBear wrote: »
    Funny those who give out about RAG week are usually the same if not worse on Paddys day or Race week

PomBear could you are any of the other posters defending the students please answer my question posed earlier in this thread

Do you live in any of the areas affected by the behaviour of students during rag week?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Rag week was always boisterous, but it seems to have gotten out of hand in recent years. are there any reasons for this?

I live near Gort na Coiribe which used to nice until students moves in.

maybe students should be kept apart from people trying to earn a living

fago wrote: »
    Passed by Dun Na Coiribe this morning and it looks like some of them forgot to bring home their empties from the bonfire yesterday.

Today is even nicer out - I'd say the college are praying for a week of heavy rain.

maybe you should send it to the college, no wait they do not care what their paying customers do. Galway apparently needs these poor students.

• Advertisement

its just eejits calling the guards for no reason but because the slightest sign of a crowd of people is some sort of major offence.

The bad side of rag week is massively blown out of proportion here and in galway in general imo, very few negative things worth talking about actually happen.

It was rag week here in cork a few weeks ago, very similar to the galway rag week and there wasn't a word about it, unlike galway where the slightest sign of a bit of craic is like comitting untold crimes.

Its the same people who will be out complaining about race week, which to most people is the best week of the year in galway.

That's simply untrue.

race week is mad, especially in the city centre, bit it does not spill out into the suburbs, where some people enjoy a bit of piece and quiet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement