Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Students Rag Week Trouble

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    Maybe you should have perused the other sixteen pages before throwing in your tuppence, so.
    Expulsions upon conviction for offences, thousand euro fines if you are identified at one of these "events", marks on permanent records, mandatory lectures and exams during "college week", roll calls, and thats just from some of the suggestions in this thread. Students are guests in this city, and if troublemakers want to tear the place up, nobody needs to tolerate them.

Students are not guests, they actually live here for a minimum of nine months of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

snubbleste wrote: »
    Students are not guests, they actually live here for a minimum of nine months of the year.
    Yes, they are guests. And if guests outstay their welcome, they'll be moved along. Once again, I am of course referring to the minority of troublemakers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭padraig91

Wompa1 wrote: »
    My ex was a Phd student in NUI doing Psychology...about as stressful as realizing your bread has gone off...that is to say not stressful at all. I've known other Phd students too...it's as stressful as the person makes it on themselves...Irish universities/colleges are a joke!

Also down with RAG week...the post about celtic cubs was a good one...It's the fact these people causing the trouble walk around with some unearned sense of entitlement. W**kers

He was doing a phd in psychology??? of course he wasnt going to be ****in stressed!!

and what exactly do u mean by "Irish universities/colleges are a joke!"??

And yes i do feel like im entitled to have one week of going mad as i spend 9 months of the year with **** all money and working extremely hard, then i spend the other 3 trying to save up for the next nine months...

Yes, they are guests. And if guests outstay their welcome, they'll be moved along. Once again, I am of course referring to the minority of troublemakers.

i would like to point out that most of the "troublemakers" are just scumbags from westside who partake in ragweek although they are not even in college.....although i do accept that some people who are in nui do cause some trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

padraig91 wrote: »
    i would like to point out that most of the "troublemakers" are just scumbags from westside who partake in ragweek although they are not even in college.....although i do accept that some people who are in nui do cause some trouble

How dare you come up with that sh..e, I live in the Westside and I can assure you that all of the problems in my area all week are being caused by students living in rented accommodation in my estate, you should withdraw that statement its your way of saying its being caused by other groups trying to take away the blame from the yobs who are causing the problem they are the "scumbags".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭996tt

JohnCleary wrote: »
    How does it bother you? The particular video of students lobbing bottles into the wheelie bin was taken on private property so essentially nobody's business except the tenants and the management.

I see people litter on a daily basis (which is disgusting) - it doesn't take RAG week to make news out of this.

dafunk makes a good point above. Loads of residents in Dun/Gort/Whatever na Corribe complaining about students - WTF do you expect moving into a student village? It'd be like moving into an estate in the hole of Limerick and complaining about the anti-social behaviour/horses trotting about the place. Idiocy of the highest order imho

Doesn't bother me, just making a point that a couple of hundred glass bottles in a public green area in an estate is not harmless fun its littering. the amount of litter generated is the same as a few houses dumping their bin bags there, which would make the news (in some form).

Expulsions upon conviction for offences, thousand euro fines if you are identified at one of these "events", marks on permanent records, mandatory lectures and exams during "college week", roll calls, and thats just from some of the suggestions in this thread. Students are guests in this city, and if troublemakers want to tear the place up, nobody needs to tolerate them.

Who gives you the right to decide how the college should be run, there are lectures rag week and I had compulsory labs during rag week.

We wouldn't really have bothered with the lectures but always did the labs, it didn't really get in the way of rag week for us though.

Who will clean up after this lot made s*** of the place? someone who never got the opportunity to go to college no doubt!

Someone who is paid to do so.
    996tt wrote: »
    Doesn't bother me, just making a point that a couple of hundred glass bottles in a public green area in an estate is not harmless fun its littering. the amount of litter generated is the same as a few houses dumping their bin bags there, which would make the news (in some form).

Welcome to every outdoor event in the country. Paddy's day, volvo ocean race, race meetings up and down the country, music festivals etc etc.

I will come back to a point I made earlier, why is it really only in Galway that rag week makes any headlines, it was UCC rag week a few weeks ago I can guarantee it was no tame affair yet it didn't even get a mention. Some people in galway appear to want everything banned, race week, rag week paddy's day etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

Firstly, how do you implement "mandatory" lectures? Not possible. Yes, roll calls are carried out but lecturers have no authority to do anything if students aren't present.

I think being expelled for being present at one of these events is a bit severe. I'm sure there were plenty of people present who weren't acting the prick, or tolerating that behaviour from others.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Columc wrote: »
    Ya but this is what your 6th RAG week? :rolleyes:

Most colleges around America doing a undergrad your allowed cheat sheets, Know people in NYU/Harvey Mudd say they bring in cheat sheets, so meh

5th Rag Week actually and im still only in 2nd year!:D Anyways it's better to be in the college doing work during Rag Week imo, il party my hole off Paddy's weekend like everyone else!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

You have to hand to the students their behaviour has made it onto the national news, you can hear about them every hour on RTE Radio 1.
    The arrests currently stand at 37 according to RTE still a chance to break the 40 record.
    I'd say NUIG will do everything they can after this year to stamp it out.
    The president was talking to the tribune yesterday and definitely wants it gone.
    And he says don't give him the line the line about 20,000 raised for charity, how much is the Garda overtime bill and the damage repair costs.
    If the SU wants to do charity events he suggests spreading them out over the year not having an event that acts as a locus for NUIGs minority of idiots and "clowns" that are bussed in from outside galway.

• Advertisement

Chicken1 wrote: »
    How dare you come up with that sh..e, I live in the Westside and I can assure you that all of the problems in my area all week are being caused by students living in rented accommodation in my estate, you should withdraw that statement its your way of saying its being caused by other groups trying to take away the blame from the yobs who are causing the problem they are the "scumbags".

im not saying everyone in westside is a scumbag im just saying that the amount of people i saw that i went to secondary school with who i know have done nothing but sit on their asses for the last 2 years who i know are scumbags and here they are making trouble during ragweek.....and i would like to also point out when me an my friends are walking through westside and get stones thrown at us by a bunch of drunken knackers....who im assuming wernt in college makes me a little angry that students get a bad reputation because of twats like that

Who give you the right to decide how the college should be run, there are lectures rag week and I had compulsory labs during rag week.
    Oh so now its my fault? So we'll add me to the list of stress, guards, the UN, residents, the city of Galway, everybody's fault but the students? If some students can't act like adults you won't be treated like adults, end of.
    dafunk wrote: »
    Not possible.
    You'd be quite impressed at what becomes possible if you cause enough of a problem for enough people.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Surrender

Wompa1 wrote: »
    My ex was a Phd student in NUI doing Psychology...about as stressful as realizing your bread has gone off...that is to say not stressful at all. I've known other Phd students too...it's as stressful as the person makes it on themselves...Irish universities/colleges are a joke!

Also down with RAG week...the post about celtic cubs was a good one...It's the fact these people causing the trouble walk around with some unearned sense of entitlement. W**kers

Are you a phd student?
    Can you comment on every (or any) university and course?
    I'd be careful about making general sweeping statements like the above.
    Also, would you not consider doing a phd if it's so handy?

Rag week is ridiculous, always has been.
    To be fair, plenty of celtic cubs did all their drinking in the river inn, 10 years back.
    I think the fact that money is tighter has lead to this swarming of madness in the student accommodation areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭DeadMoney

Maybe you should have perused the other sixteen pages before throwing in your tuppence, so.

Exams during college week?? What sort of exams? How will these affect/relate to the individual course structure for the academic year? How will these interrupt the mid semester run of assignment work due? What about suspending lectures in the 1/2 weeks prior to these exams? Student will need to study. Do you really think college just works like that? Like they can just alter tailor made courses at the drop of a hat without completely disrupting the run of the course? And how would this look for prospective students thinking of studying in Galway? I mean you can't have UCD, UCC, UL etc doing exams twice a year and then NUIG & GMIT doing these 'special' exams smack bang in the middle of a college semester, as well as start & finish of semester.

Don't forget these colleges are businesses like any other and they sell a product that needs to be attractive to potential customers. They would lose a lot of customers if they started to introduce extra exams put in place with the purpose of limiting anti social behavior. You cannot chain students down like some sort of moderate fascism, they will get out eventually and blow off their steam be it during rag week, or after an exam session.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

Amhran Nua has no idea what goes on in college, probably one of these people who are dieing to have the chance to get in. All the complaining from him is probably due to him needing to clean up the glass bottles

Even if the college sechdule something for a week, they need to schedule something every week in second semster as RAG/college/having the craic week may be on a diffrent week ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭fago

According to earlier posts about €20,000 is raised for charity. According to Browne there are 17,000 students in NUIG.

So a pathetic amount of less the €1.50 per student raised. Not even the price of a drink.

Imagine if each student was donating €10 each - €150,000 to €170,000 would be impressive and might give the charity aspect more credibility.

However given the numbers in NUIG the money raised seems pretty small.

Of course exams can be run in the middle of the semester. Any mandatory attendance lecture, lab or related item would do just as well however.
    DeadMoney wrote: »
    You cannot chain students down like some sort of moderate fascism, they will get out eventually and blow off their steam be it during rag week, or after an exam session.
    Its been said before in the thread, but it bears repeating. Lots of people go through stressful times in their lives without needing to tear up the town as a consequence. Students have no right to disrupt the lives of other people in Galway, none whatsoever. So, if antisocial behaviour persists, don't be surprised if there are consequences for this.

If you don't like it, please take your taxpayer funded education and go someplace else. I think you'll find that 99% of students would rather stay in Galway, though. I mean its not like anyone is looking for exceptional behaviour, just the minimum standard most of the rest of the world finds acceptable.

Oh so now its my fault? So we'll add me to the list of stress, guards, the UN, residents, the city of Galway, everybody's fault but the students? If some students can't act like adults you won't be treated like adults, end of.

The point I'm making is that in my opinion there has been a very very small amount of actual trouble this week and nothing anywhere near enough to be talking about cancelling rag week or going overboard with compulsory attendance rag week.

The only thing in any of the youtube videos that was questionable was the bonfire and I will find out how bad that actuallly was as my sister lives in gort and was no doubt in the group of people having the craic there. If I were still in nuig I would bet a large amount of money that I would be in the middle of that crowd in gort also.

There has been a few isolated incidents of roaring at people and pretend fighting which is questionable carry on but its rare and wont even bother a lot of people.

Again people complaining about noise in estates etc, that's all a matter of opinion. People complaining may have an exceptionally low tolerance for a bit of extra noise for a few days in the year which I think is quite unreasonable.

I think it is a tiny minority of people who are actually complaining to be honest but its being latched onto and blown way out of proportion.

The point I'm making is that in my opinion there has been a very very small amount of actual trouble this week and nothing anywhere near enough to be talking about cancelling rag week or going overboard with compulsory attendance rag week.

The only thing in any of the youtube videos that was questionable was the bonfire and I will find out how bad that actuallly was as my sister lives in gort and was no doubt in the group of people having the craic there. If I were still in nuig I would bet a large amount of money that I would be in the middle of that crowd in gort also.

There has been a few isolated incidents of roaring at people and pretend fighting which is questionable carry on but its rare and wont even bother a lot of people.

Again people complaining about noise in estates etc, that's all a matter of opinion. People complaining may have an exceptionally low tolerance for a bit of extra noise for a few days in the year which I think is quite unreasonable.

I think it is a tiny minority of people who are actually complaining to be honest but its being latched onto and blown way out of proportion.
    It's making national news.

Ahh sure thats any friday/saturday night, race week, paddys weekend, race week or even on the weekend.
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Of course exams can be run in the middle of the semester. Any mandatory attendance lecture, lab or related item would do just as well however.

Its nonsensical to change the course structure of every subject just to put exams on rag week and anyway as soon as the dates were set an un-official rag week would just be organised for the following week.

As I said compulsory labs never stopped us we would be drinking, go in to the lab for the few hours and then back drinking again.

Because the likes of yourself is making such a big deal out of it.

Its galway everyone loves talking about galway! it made one news report becuase it was a slow news day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

JohnCleary wrote: »
    I look forward to the post which you will make during Race Week 2011 making the same point as above. As said above, the above happens during Race Week. During Race Week I have also seen people p1ssing/puking in public. The only difference I see is that during Race Week these people are usually in their 30's and wearing cheap suits, but I guess it's acceptable, cause y'know, these are adults with jobs!!

Well youre dead right,race week is just another week when galway becomes flooded with an even bigger shower of shïtes.
    Not looking forward to that nonsense either.
    Tbh i avoid town during the races,especially at night.
    And i avoid town during rag week too but my whole point is when this spills out of town and into estates where families are living & have been living for 20+ years.its THESE estates where STUDENTS have moved in,for a few months then piss off again in the summer.
    TBH if ye woke me or my family up at night acting like mongs in MY housing estate id leave ye all in a pile on the green.
    Theres people liviving in the newcastle area who are just too ****ing soft IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Columc wrote: »
    Its galway everyone loves talking about galway! it made one news report becuase it was a slow news day.

It was on the six one and nine o'clock tv news yesterday and today it is on every radio bulletin and will probably be on the one o'clock tv news today.
    So it's onto its second day of coverage.
    I wonder will one of the sunday tabloids have a shocking expose.

dloob wrote: »
    I wonder will one of the sunday tabloids have a shocking expose.

3 guys caught masturbating over a sleeping girl.... oh wait that was trinity.

Slow news week, who wants to hear about FG and labour having "sober talks" of a goverment for all of the week, better to fill it up with nice college students talking about destressing themselves in the hot weather ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

You'd be quite impressed at what becomes possible if you cause enough of a problem for enough people.

I speak from experience. You cannot introduce "mandatory attendance" as much as lecturers would like to do this. Please tell me if you think you have the solution as there are thousands of academics in the country that tackle this problem in their daily worklife.

dafunk wrote: »
    I speak from experience. You cannot introduce "mandatory attendance" as much as lecturers would like to do this. Please tell me if you think you have the solution as there are thousands of academics in the country that tackle this problem in their daily worklife.
    There are already mandatory attendance times in unis. Besides, it's not as though secondary and primary schools haven't already dealt with that problem, although that's meant for dealing with children...

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

There are some children, albeit not many, and quite a few professional couples living there. It's not ALL students.
    The students and non-studentts live in entirely different parts of GnaC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Foxx92 wrote: »
    The students and non-studentts live in entirely different parts of GnaC.

Ya,because GnC is just so vast.Ive heard it takes young wans in pyjamas DAYS to get across it.

• Advertisement

There are already mandatory attendance times in unis. Besides, it's not as though secondary and primary schools haven't already dealt with that problem, although that's meant for dealing with children...

Not all classes are mandatory. Some of the more specific courses such as medicine/engenering or IT might be due to labs as they are important, but with many courses having 75-200+ students in the class is

1)pointless
    2)time consuming
    3)inaccurate
    4)implemntation of any sort of system is costly

You oviously have no idea how a college system works. Also you try and pick your college course to what your intrestst/knwoledge is, and many times certain subjects are more intresting and you do a lot more work in and know more and cover stuff other then the lectures and find it quite boring, Why should students sit through and waste hours of lectures that they arleady know the information on?

Amhran Nua stop posting on what the college should do, you have no idea.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement