Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Students Rag Week Trouble

Options

Comments

barryd09 wrote: »
    Well youre dead right,race week is just another week when galway becomes flooded with an even bigger shower of shïtes.
    Not looking forward to that nonsense either.
    Tbh i avoid town during the races,especially at night.

The fact you dislike the rag week and race week will lead you to have an overly negative view of them imo and thats what leads to exaggeration.

Personally I'm counting the days to race week (i am into racing too), its my favourite week of the year, its really the only proper time I take off work other then christmas. The craic around quay street/cross street every night after racing is famous far outside Ireland.
    barryd09 wrote: »
    in MY housing estate id leave ye all in a pile on the green.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

flynnlives wrote: »
    in all fairness the stress in college is nothing compared to the working life and other stuff that lies ahead of you.

In all fairness, it depends on the person. I work 20-30 hours a week, on top of 20 hours of classes and another 20 - 30 hours of study/assignments...most weeks averaging on 70-80 hour mark, which is fairly stressful.

I know plenty of people who don't go to class, get money off mammy and daddy and do feck all in general, but it doesn't mean we all do.

Now I'm not complaining because I like to be kept busy. The end result is I've no time for RAG week shenanigans and rarely ever go out...and the abuse I receive at work from others about being kept awake :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

This whole stress agreument is bollox it has so much variables it cant be used in any argument.

1)type of person
    2)type of course
    3)your intelligence
    4)have some cop on
    5)workload

and a lot more. For me college is not stressful at all until near the end of the year when exams hit, whatever anyone says, exams are always stressful, even if you know everything, have a misshap and you are ascrweed and need to reapeat and waste a year. Anythin can happen.

So i can see with RAG week can be de-stressful for some students, stress its a killer. Fair play to them for enjoying themselves on this peacefull week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Columc wrote: »
    Amhran Nua stop posting on what the college should do, you have no idea.
    Oh I know very well how NUIG works. I've also sat down to meetings with NUIG authorities recently to control problem students in our area, quite successfully.

I'd say to anyone with problems in their areas to call up the Student Experience officer, usually the VP of SE, and register a process for dealing with future problems. I found them to be very understanding and helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭compaqlaptop1

dloob wrote: »
    And he says don't give him the line the line about 20,000 raised for charity

They go on about this 20K raised for charity. Sure that is nothing that compared to the couple of hundred thousand K spent on booze over the week.

Anyway, the students are basically kids who cant handle their drink. In 8-10 years time they will be the ones complaining about the next generation of students wrecking the place.

• Advertisement

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    Oh I know very well how NUIG works. I've also sat down to meetings with NUIG authorities recently to control problem students in our area, quite successfully.

I'd say to anyone with problems in their areas to call up the Student Experience officer, usually the VP of SE, and register a process for dealing with future problems. I found them to be very understanding and helpful.

So with one/a few meeting in NUIG it makes you a professional in the area, typical politician thinking they know everything about everyone and everywere. :rolleyes:

So with one/a few meeting in NUIG it makes you a professional in the area, typical politician thinking they know everything about everyone and everywere. :rolleyes:
    Did you not admit to actively trolling this thread earlier? Seems you're still at it.

Did you not admit to actively trolling this thread earlier? Seems you're still at it.

I'm just trying to figure out why you think you know how NUIG works and why you think it is just as simple to implament your ideas to stop students going out on RAG week, and by the looks of it have any freedom at all.

I'm just trying to figure out why you think you know how NUIG works and why you think it is just as simple to implament your ideas to stop students going out on RAG week, and my the looks of it have any freedom at all.
    Yeah, here we are:
    just messing around on this thread as its fun to annoy people who take it so seriously!
    Another poster called you on it, too.

damn students lol.

• Advertisement

Amhran Nua stop using your ploitics skills and avoid the question and just say why you think that you know everything about the college life and the courses/classes that your ideas being implemented is the ened of rag week.

Colllege is not only about the learning and teaching of an educations, its the life exerpaince as well. Trying to deny that to the students would pretty much having the exact same trasnisition from secondary to university.

This one week in galway is a problem, but has there ever been much of a hassle the rest of the week. Some students want the experiance of binge drinking for 5 days straight, other want the experiance of being arrested, if thats their choice let it be and let the gardai deal with them and have repucations on their decisions!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DJB1980

what has happen in galway this week is fecken retarted. I work nights in the city centre and working rag/ college week is getting worst every year the handfull no sorry the vast majoritiy of these dickheads think they own the city and can do what ever they want. ive had the wing mirrors kicked of my car twice also had a different car completey vandlisied wippers broke off dents on the roof and bonnet these are all farelly expensive to fix r replace. but sure as any of the students on this fourm think it only a bit of crack ill tell you when you own a car that you have to relay on and this happens your opionion will change forever this is not fun for everyone else who have to life and work in galway city. iam also a student myself and do about 26 hours a week in college then try to work 32-40 hours a week to keep a roof over my head and food on the table and keep a car taxed nct and insured to have some little sumbag student to come along and wreck my car then i have to pay for repair. it a shame that these little sumbags can play **** around the town and in the residentil area and get away with it. if it was down to me arrest them all and get them f**ked out of college. then maybe mammy and daddy will relise what little ****s they have raised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

And if NUIG really wanted to end the mayhem they could have done it long ago. I think that privately they condone what goes on because it generates national publicity and is guaranteed to result in more students choosing NUIG over other colleges. They could easily get rid of RAG week if they were inclined. Retracting college endorsement, banning all advertising of RAG week and mandatory expulsions for a range of offences would kill it stone dead.
    That has already been done. The college withdrew its endorsement years ago and expulsions are being threatened.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70973911&postcount=196
    You have the president of NUIG in the papers this week giving out about RAG week. Why isn't he promising to stamp it out if he really has such a problem with it? He's been 'calling for an end to the festivities'. As if that is going to stop anyone and he knows well it wont. Why isn't he in the news saying that RAG week is finished and he will be handing out mandatory expulsions to troublemakers? I'll tell you why - because having your university featuring annually in the national news because the students are having such mighty craic is better for student recruitment than all the open days, brochures and other advertising put together.
    I sincerely doubt that NUIG would actively try to attract prospective students who make their decision on where to study based on where they will be allowed to behave like bush drinking skangers.

EDIT: I see you deleted the post I quoted. I guess you too realised that what you had written was total b0ll0ck$. :rolleyes:

DJB1980 wrote: »
    what has happen in galway this week is fecken retarted. I work nights in the city centre and working rag/ college week is getting worst every year the handfull no sorry the vast majoritiy of these dickheads think they own the city and can do what ever they want. ive had the wing mirrors kicked of my car twice also had a different car completey vandlisied wippers broke off dents on the roof and bonnet these are all farelly expensive to fix r replace. but sure as any of the students on this fourm think it only a bit of crack ill tell you when you own a car that you have to relay on and this happens your opionion will change forever this is not fun for everyone else who have to life and work in galway city. iam also a student myself and do about 26 hours a week in college then try to work 32-40 hours a week to keep a roof over my head and food on the table and keep a car taxed nct and insured to have some little sumbag student to come along and wreck my car then i have to pay for repair. it a shame that these little sumbags can play **** around the town and in the residentil area and get away with it. if it was down to me arrest them all and get them f**ked out of college. then maybe mammy and daddy will relise what little ****s they have raised.

Thats a terrible story and as a car owner it sickens me to think that someone would do this to a car, but you cant blame the entire student population for this and it may not even have been a student.

It doesn't take rag week for this sort of thing, a friends of mine had the windows smashed in his car on a random saturday night in the city last year while he was in a night club.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

'Stamping out' rag week (sorry, 'college' week:rolleyes:) won't really do anything imo. For at least a year or two there will at best be a little backlash, and likely the tradition will continue.

People keep going on about 'student only' areas and 'students being the only ones who live there, so this stuff is grand'. It's not. PLENTY of students think a lot of what's going on is b*llox, and they are the ones paying for it.

People have always been wary about renting to students in some 'majority non-student' areas, and with this publicity, they'll likely go with a non-student over a perfectly sound student renter now, because of the actions of a minority of p*ssheads.
    I had plenty of craic in college, and probably went over the line myself, but public cruelty is not on.

Everyone who is going on about overreaction thinks this is about stopping craic. It's not. It's about stopping widespread vandalism, harassment, violence and cruelty. You should have seen the two older folk's faces that I witnessed being screamed at by fcuking eejits throwing shapes. They were shaking, both of them. The eejits were lucky one man didn't catch them. They might get them on cc tv. Put yourself in other people's shoes.

Oh, and 10 year olds on Shop St don't need to see your arses too, thanks very much (mooning is less destructive in fairness, but choose your audience!):rolleyes:

The solution has to be harsher measures to those who *way* cross the line. Public drinking and initial noise are one thing, but when you harass strangers and destroy property, then yes, make arrests, and yes, expulsion might be necessary. Then those having the craic that are 'on the line' would just get a telling off or warning, and those taking it too far would pay the price for being complete sh!ts. Compensation in the form of a minimum fine and repair of any property damage too.

All students shouldn't have to pay for (what is a sizeable this year) minority, OR the actions of non-students in for their 'craic'. This may deter future idiots, and will let college week still happen.

The word 'craic' is sacred to us, it makes me sad when it is abused like this;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DJB1980

sorry nox01 but every time my car is vandlised it rag / college week and the two times ive had the wing mirrors kicked off i had misfortune of see it happen and even approched the gobs**ts to ask why they had to do it to my car not the other 15 or so car parked on the same street have even got into a fight cause of 1 smart ass student . i now park my car a good 10 mins walk out of the city for rag/college week every other week there no problems. so is it my bad luck r is it that these students cant handle they drink ive partied hard over the years drank for weeks on end but never done anything like that or like what happen in dun na corrib. the time my other car got vandlisied it was on camera you can even hear the scumbags laughing and joking again this happen on rag week. so to my conclusion 3 time my car gets damaged 3 rag weeks 3 groups of students and the rest of the year no problem ! so what would that make you think

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

There are already mandatory attendance times in unis. Besides, it's not as though secondary and primary schools haven't already dealt with that problem, although that's meant for dealing with children...

Fine. But how to you implement it? Expell them if they don't attend? Then the colleges would be empty. Award marks for attendance? Then the standards would just continue to spiral downwards with students basically passing for attending but not knowing anything.

Lab attendance is mandatory due to safety issues and easy to track due to small groups and students will adhere to this but they will not adhere to it for lectures and lecturers cannot implement it. Have you any idea how long it takes to do a roll call for 180 people? You would lose 20 minutes of your classtime.

That has already been done. The college withdrew its endorsement years ago and expulsions are being threatened.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70973911&postcount=196

It hasn't been done. I dont see anything in that statement declaring mandatory expulsions for a wide range of offences. The college has also not banned advertising for RAG week.
    I sincerely doubt that NUIG would actively try to attract prospective students who make their decision on where to study based on where they will be allowed to behave like bush drinking skangers.
    Eh, I never said they would actively use this method to attract students. I said that privately they condone it. Obviously they couldn't be seen to endorse this publicly.

Having an enjoyable time in college is a huge factor in all students decision making when it comes to choosing a place in 3rd level education. NUIG, with its annual feature on the national news, has now got a second to none reputation for the craic. Im sure the president and the other guys running NUIG are no fools and realise that this is doing them alot more good than harm. The college has done nothing about RAG week for years other than issue statements condemning it. They have to power to finish it off so why haven't they?
    EDIT: I see you deleted the post I quoted. I guess you too realised that what you had written was total b0ll0ck$. :rolleyes:
    I deleted it because I could see myself ending up getting dragged into an argument I dont have time for at the moment. Hence I wont be replying to this thread any more, just wanted to address this post of yours.

dafunk wrote: »
    Fine. But how to you implement it? Expell them if they don't attend? Then the colleges would be empty. Award marks for attendance? Then the standards would just continue to spiral downwards with students basically passing for attending but not knowing anything.

Lab attendance is mandatory due to safety issues and easy to track due to small groups and students will adhere to this but they will not adhere to it for lectures and lecturers cannot implement it. Have you any idea how long it takes to do a roll call for 180 people? You would lose 20 minutes of your classtime.
    GMIT does roll calls and attendance lists. You posted in a thread about it a few months ago. Are the students in NUIG meant to be too grown up for that sort of thing? They'll need to work harder at proving it, so. Freedom, responsibility, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Thank you to the posters who posted film footage of the incident's. It gave a really clear picture of the scale of what goes on during 'College Week'. Wow, it's pretty shocking and no-one can argue that it's just a 'bit of craic'.

Just to give folk a little perspective on littering, I belong to a community group that volunteers to clean up our local park every second month and broken glass is really difficult to clear up. It breaks our heart that during warm spells folk bush drink, they ALWAYS litter and leave broken glass everywhere. They even drink and smash glass in our play grounds:(

It's soul destroying trying to keep a neighbourhood nice for everyone to have it made into a dump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

If College Week raises much needed funds for charities, then that's all to the good. But it's the incessant drinking that causes all the trouble. I don't know what it is about some people that they get to college and go absolutely crazy drinking alcohol. There's a little too much emphasis on drinking and going to be pub as the main social activities in this country.

If people are going out having a bit of fun and a few drinks, enjoying the nice weather, then great! But it's the aftermath when people go overboard that's the problem. The crowd that go about breaking things and hassling people aren't going around the next day to tidy up and set things to rights again. There's no sense of personal responsibility. You don't get to act like the rules don't apply to you just because you want a bit of 'craic' and have bought some cheap booze.
    If you want people to stop giving out about 'bloody students', then why not be more proactive in making sure that people have nothing to be giving out about. Any fire brigade that's getting things thrown at it or has to come to put out bonfires is a fire brigade that's using valuable time and resources that could be be needed for a serious accident. Same with the staff in A&E who have to deal with any drunk people.

And I don't care how much craic you want to have or how bad it gets during Race Week or St Patrick's Day, I want to be able to walk around where I live without being hassled by a group of drunks. You can have a good time without being obnoxious and ruining everyone else's day. It's as much an important skill to learn as anything else you get taught in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

A few fools have a bonfire, it wouldnt be news if it wasn't students
    Are we sure it was students, and not an indigenous community that happens to, um, "lives" in Galway?

=-=

Doctor James Browne, NUIG President has said "hundreds of ‘clowns’ are also being bussed in from outside Galway"... :pac:

I'm just off the phone with my sister there who lives in gort and as expected she told me its all being exaggerated to the last.

The fires were harmless when you could actually see them in person and rte were going around yesterday trying to drum up stories and interviewing people no doubt to take whatever they said and twist it to suit them.

I would say the general feeling among students is that they are being treated quite unfairly in all this.

the_syco wrote: »
    Are we sure it was students, and not an indigenous community that happens to, um, "lives" in Galway?

=-=

Doctor James Browne, NUIG President has said "hundreds of ‘clowns’ are also being bussed in from outside Galway"... :pac:

Have a look at the video posted. People were addressing other students. It is possible there are others there, but it was students.

I'm just off the phone with my sister there who lives in gort and as expected she told me its all being exaggerated to the last.

The fires were harmless when you could actually see them in person and rte were going around yesterday trying to drum up stories and interviewing people no doubt to take whatever they said and twist it to suit them.

I would say the general feeling among students is that they are being treated quite unfairly in all this.
    iraqiministerbersih.jpg

and rte were going around yesterday trying to drum up stories and interviewing people no doubt to take whatever they said and twist it to suit them.

The general population of students isn't to blame. But a LARGE amount of people are. I am going on what I saw with my own eyes. I don't know how you can still defend the terrorising of old people to the point where they are shaking as 'craic'. It's fcuking disgusting is what it is.

inisboffin wrote: »
    The general population of students isn't to blame. But a LARGE amount of people are. I am going on what I saw with my own eyes. I don't know how you can still defend the terrorising of old people to the point where they are shaking as 'craic'. It's fcuking disgusting is what it is.

I'm not defending that, I'm defending the happenings in gort as that is at the center of the debate here, which was attended by a large number of people, rather than the tiny tiny number of people who were "allegedly" terrorising people.

I'm not defending that, I'm defending the happenings in gort as that is at the center of the debate here, which was attended by a large number of people, rather than the tiny tiny number of people who were "allegedly" terrorising people.
    You're defending this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

just ban the thing, its clear the few have ruined it on the many.
    Blame them instead of trying to defend the indefensible here.
    The last 4 years its gotten way outta hand.

i did my far share of rag weeks, drinking all day everyday, great fun but i never nor did anyone i know cause trouble or annoy others and we were fairly rowdy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 ayeayecaptain

Gone are the days when the most amount of harm done was a bit of fairy liquid thrown into the Eyre Square fountain, that was humorous (maybe not for whoever had to clear up all the bubbles/suds) - breaking up cars and windows and terrorising the elderly isn't.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement