Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Students Rag Week Trouble

Options

Comments

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    You're defending this?

Apart from the rubbish on the grass, which in the grand scheme of of things would be cleaned up in less than a day and you would never even know it was even there, I don't see what is wrong with it. A group of people are drunk and up to a bit of harmless divilment.

Seriously have people reduced themselves to making out that they are committing some serious unforgivable crime? People need to lighten up a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Apart from the rubbish on the grass, which in the grand scheme of of things would be cleaned up in less than a day and you would never even know it was even there, I don't see what is wrong with it. A group of people are drunk and up to a bit of harmless divilment.

Seriously have people reduced themselves to making out that they are committing some serious unforgivable crime? People need to lighten up a bit.
    "People" are fed to their back teeth with it. It used to be nowhere near this bad. And I've no idea why you're whitewashing it as hard as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

Theres hundreds of people there, all watching it but from the video its clear there are 4/5 people acting the maggot like that big lad in the hoddy kicking and trying to spash glass at the bin, everyone else is just watching.

sure like what we been saying, a small few ruining it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I'm not defending that, I'm defending the happenings in gort as that is at the center of the debate here, which was attended by a large number of people, rather than the tiny tiny number of people who were "allegedly" terrorising people.

You ARE defending it though. When people mention incidents around the City and post videos, you keep saying it is harmless craic. B*llox, it isn't harmless, the stuff really being complained about. I don't give a hoot about obnoxious students being loud on Shop St, or drinking outside, or even the odd 'keep it down' annoying party next to someone. I am not going to trawl back and get multiple quotes, but you said, people are blowing things out of proportion, and that it is just craic, and a 'tiny tiny' number of people causing trouble...

From posts on here ALONE it isn't a tiny number. And FFS if ONE group of students even terrorised old folks they should be expelled. CRUELTY IS NOT CRAIC. End of.

"People" are fed to their back teeth with it. It used to be nowhere near this bad. And I've no idea why you're whitewashing it as hard as you can.

You only think it wasnt as bad as this is cause you only see the odd students last years outside, while most of them were in clubs. The only reason why its in GnC now is cause was places like GPO and Cuba and club K had the night clubs open during the day to allow the students to go in. People were then complaining that at 4-7 the streets were covered with students drunk/puking/pissing allo ver the place so the gardai told the clubs the ycant open during the day.

And saying that, from the videos its a few idiots trying to spash stuff, and set the fire while others are around having a good time. If anything that video shows it with 4/5 lads trying to break stuff but hundreds of students are around just singing.

The litter is bad but it can be cleaned up, and thats about how bad it is in GnC, your all blowing it way out of proportion tbh.

Mountains out of mole hills.
    Mountains out of mole hills.

• Advertisement

inisboffin wrote: »

From posts on here ALONE it isn't a tiny number. And FFS if ONE group of students even terrorised old folks they should be expelled. CRUELTY IS NOT CRAIC. End of.

We are talking about antics on GnC, were there are hundereds of students and by far not terroising old folk. Those students ofc should be expelled for acting like a ****.

Yes they should be expelled, and given a good beating on the way to the cells also.

On the topic of things being much worse in the last few years, I think I mentioned it before but in my first rag week in 2004 there was around 3000 euro worth of drink stolen from an unmanned bar in the Radisson on the monday, the SU had to compensate the radisson afaik.

Now there was almost nothing made out of it at the time yet a few lads jumping around a bin is huge news now.

I reckon sky news and CNN would be involved if the radisson incident happened this year.

Another good point by Columc is that in my day we were all in clubs in town during the day rather than spending all day hanging around the various estates, not allowing them to open was a big mistake imo.

I wonder have we broken the all time high for the number of students arrested this year, I think it was three off the top last time I checked. Funny how you never see anyone else's rag week in the national news.

Columc wrote: »
    We are talking about antics on GnC, were there are hundereds of students and by far not terroising old folk. Those students ofc should be expelled for acting like a ****.

The title of this thread is 'Student Rag Week Trouble'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Funny how you never see anyone else's rag week in the national news.

Slow news week both locally and nationally. Media need something to give out about.

• Advertisement

Yes they should be expelled, and given a good beating on the way to the cells also.

Another good point by Columc is that in my day we were all in clubs in town during the day rather than spending all day hanging around the various estates, not allowing them to open was a big mistake imo.

First point - Well I'm glad we somewhat agree on something!:p I wouldn't have them beaten, just fined, arrested and, expelled and well, if a relative of those old people gave them a whack, well I mightn't be too upset.

Second, you're making it seem like the responsability to not be a dick lies with other people (to provide distraction, to keep eejits busy), it doesn't. And thinking like that is dangerous. Apply it to all sorts of crimes 'well officer, the bicycle was unlocked, if it was locked I wouldn't have robbed it' etc, and you see what I mean.

First point - Well I'm glad we somewhat agree on something!:p I wouldn't have them beaten, just fined, arrested and, expelled and well, if a relative of those old people gave them a whack, well I mightn't be too upset.

I would involve myself to be honest if I saw old people being terrorised. I have massive respect for old people and have a number of old relatives myself who I help out when I can.

But you would have to agree it takes a seriously low individual to do this sort of thing and probably a person who has it in them anyway not just drink. I would imagine this type of individual in quite rare in the student population, but yes they need to be dealt with.

On the second point, its not that things should be provided to distract them but if say the clubs were open in town in the afternoon it would be a place for the people doing rag week to go togeather rather than meeting in big groups in estates etc, people want to meet and hang out with each other on weeks like this.

Its like saying they shouldn't close off the streets for race week as its up to people to find there own place to drink.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Let the clubs open at 10am as long as they do food in there and when they are absolutely rotten after a day drinking they will inevitably crawl home quietly....even if that is at 7pm. This idea of closing everything that isn't already bankrupt and basically converting the whole week into a giant bush drinking festival is evidently not working.

No chance the clubs will let Jim Fahy in to film the craic either :D

The title of this thread is 'Student Rag Week Trouble'

True but the big arguements we have been having is the antics in GnC.

The acting of people terroising old folks/breaking house windows etc are not on and i fully agree that people who do this should be arrested and expleed from college if they attend one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

in the 5/6 RAG weeks i did there was never this gathering on the monday morning in groups of hundreds rubbish.
    whats that all about?

We all just went to houses and then onto pubs.
    We avoided the college all together.

We generally did everything without interfering with wider society.
    RAG week for me and il freely admit it, had nothing to do with the charity events, it was just a drinking session.
    Still tho, we had the cop on the realise that there is still a wider society at large, working people, old people etc.

From what iv seen in the last 3/4 years it has defo taken on a more sinister and aggressive tone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭996tt

Who gives you the right to decide how the college should be run, there are lectures rag week and I had compulsory labs during rag week.

We wouldn't really have bothered with the lectures but always did the labs, it didn't really get in the way of rag week for us though.

Someone who is paid to do so.

Welcome to every outdoor event in the country. Paddy's day, volvo ocean race, race meetings up and down the country, music festivals etc etc.

I will come back to a point I made earlier, why is it really only in Galway that rag week makes any headlines, it was UCC rag week a few weeks ago I can guarantee it was no tame affair yet it didn't even get a mention. Some people in galway appear to want everything banned, race week, rag week paddy's day etc.
    Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Let the clubs open at 10am as long as they do food in there and when they are absolutely rotten after a day drinking they will inevitably crawl home quietly....even if that is at 7pm. This idea of closing everything that isn't already bankrupt and basically converting the whole week into a giant bush drinking festival is evidently not working.

No chance the clubs will let Jim Fahy in to film the craic either :D

I'd prefer to have the "students" acting the magot/vandalising/pissing in public places away from the city centre to allow people to go abou their business (work/shop)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Nuigforce

good bye rag week 2011, you'll always be remembered;)

funny sh1t all week people calling guards on us, guards turning up and sayin were doing nothing wrong, theyd join us if they were off duty:D

skelliser wrote: »
    Still tho, we had the cop on the realise that there is still a wider society at large, working people, old people etc.

They dont teach cop on at NUIG ;)
    skelliser wrote: »

in the 5/6 RAG weeks i did there was never this gathering on the monday morning in groups of hundreds rubbish.
    whats that all about?

There used to always be a massive crowed unde rthe bridge opposite side of NUIG on the monday morning of RAG week

Nuigforce wrote: »

funny sh1t all week people calling guards on us, guards turning up and sayin were doing nothing wrong, theyd join us if they were off duty:D

Don't believe you. But that's the internet for ya.;)

Don't believe you. But that's the internet for ya.;)

The arrests the gardai made, are tehre any report they came from GnC? presumming thats were nuigforce was of course!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

996tt wrote: »
    I'd prefer to have the "students" acting the magot/vandalising/pissing in public places away from the city centre to allow people to go abou their business (work/shop)

Don't be daft, that is where the clubs are!!

I would involve myself to be honest if I saw old people being terrorised. I have massive respect for old people and have a number of old relatives myself who I help out when I can.

But you would have to agree it takes a seriously low individual to do this sort of thing and probably a person who has it in them anyway not just drink. I would imagine this type of individual in quite rare in the student population, but yes they need to be dealt with.

On the second point, its not that things should be provided to distract them but if say the clubs were open in town in the afternoon it would be a place for the people doing rag week to go togeather rather than meeting in big groups in estates etc, people want to meet and hang out with each other on weeks like this.

Its like saying they shouldn't close off the streets for race week as its up to people to find there own place to drink.

But...it wasn't quite 'rare' - I personally saw 3 incidents (one to old people) of 3 separate groups being D1cks on Shop St/Quay St and on one of the occasions being physically violent with person. Then there are the other people on here who saw stuff. It is unlikely that my '3' (groups of 3 or 4) were the same '3' - so already you have a good amount.
    Now..probably one evil w*nker was leading it in each case, but no difference, if the rest of the group are complacent. I was also going to step in with the old folks, but I had a friends 2 kids with me (one who witnessed the 'full moon' earlier! it wasn't intended for her, but we came out of a shop as it was happening).

I think it is simple, just don't wreck other people's; stuff, buzz, heads or lives and don't be cruel.

The arrests the gardai made, are tehre any report they came from GnC? presumming thats were nuigforce was of course!

Dunno what you are saying? I was disbelieving that gardai turned up and expressed an interest in taking of their hats and wrecking stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Nuigforce

no no we had our own craic.. wouldnt be seen with those gort ruffians;)

But...it wasn't quite 'rare' - I personally saw 3 incidents (one to old people) of 3 separate groups being D1cks on Shop St/Quay St and on one of the occasions being physically violent with person.
    Thats another factor of course, for every incident reported on boards or in the media there were probably ten more that weren't. Thirty seven arrests made, and its doubtful anyone on boards was involved in or witnessed any of them. Guaranteed that was the tip of the iceberg, since we don't have ubiquitous garda surveillance, thankfully.

Of course, a couple of the characters on here will try to tell you black is white and up is down, but it's not going to wash I'm afraid. I predict considerably more severe measures being taken by university authorities next years, regardless of whether some free spirits feel that's fascist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭rocco.

bunch of hillbillys! aint got no class :rolleyes:

Thats another factor of course, for every incident reported on boards or in the media there were probably ten more that weren't. Thirty seven arrests made, and its doubtful anyone on boards was involved in or witnessed any of them. Guaranteed that was the tip of the iceberg, since we don't have ubiquitous garda surveillance, thankfully.

How many people are arrested on an average saturday night? Im sure there is at least a few, multiply that by 5 and you are probably not going to be far off the rag week arrests figure. I'm not saying getting arrested is ok btw just that if you compare like with like things look different.

How many people are arrested on an average saturday night? Im sure there is at least a few, multiply that by 5 and you are probably not going to be far off the rag week arrests figure. I'm not saying getting arrested is ok btw just that if you compare like with like things look different.
    You couldn't make this stuff up.

You couldn't make this stuff up.

What do you mean?

If you have thousands of people of any age involved in any event there will be arrests. There is always a percentage of trouble makers.

Whether its a saturday night, a music festival or a big derby match there are always arrests.

There were something like 300 people arrested after the celtic vs rangers match the last night, that's one night!

• Advertisement

Mountains out of molehills simple as that, just because its 5 days in a row people are complaining. it occurs in race week as well, but since its support by business heads its ok, the amount of times i received aggression during race week is incredable. not to mention paddys day, sure on 2 diffrent years i saw two stabbings on paddies day. You cannot tell me that is wore then RAG week.

Just cause there is some loud music and litter which will end now your saying this is a disgrace, grow up and deal with the real world. you were all going on how its college isnt stressful and the real world is. Here is a fine example, go destress yourselves

Mountains out of molehills

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement