Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Students Rag Week Trouble

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

I have to disagree with your point on the de-centralising RAG / College Week from the campus, randy.

I actually think the problem is deeper and specifically drink related.

It seems to me that the main objective is to get absolutely pissed as fast as possible. To constantly try and out do each other in terms of drinking the most.
    Granted i participated in many a RAG week but we learnt to pace ourselves and mostly drank beer. The advent of cheep spirits has made things alot worse.

I dunno, maybe im being hypocritical but i sadly feel that the long tradition of drink being a problem in ireland is only getting worse.

I actually ashamed of days like st.patricks day to be Irish. Im not even going to mention arthurs day.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    If you had read the thread, you would understand that these sentiments were expressed as a rebuttal to comments like "sure what does it matter if they cause a half million damage, they bring millions to the city, ye're lucky they don't do worse".
    Those sentiments are representative of an underlying and deep-rooted attitude which I have witnessed in Galway for many years. Whether they were expressed here as rebuttal, or what they were intended as rebuttal to, is irrelevant to me, I still find them short-sighted and annoying.
    1, already dealt with, 2, explained above, 3, agreed, with the caveat that no matter which way the uni turns things seem to be getting worse.
    Oh, I wasn't asking for a response. I was pointing out, in response to your challenge to make constructive suggestions, that I already had.
    Galway would not be a much poorer place without the troublemakers, as distinct from the general student body. But I have already said this several times in the thread.
    Galway would be at no loss without the troublemakers, students or local, any more than any other city. It would, however, be a lot poorer without the vast majority of its 20,000 "guests", who you and many others would seem to believe, are lucky that we let them into the city in the first place. But I have already said this several times in the thread, and you continue to ignore my basic point about underlying attitudes, and no doubt will continue to do so.
    From your comments, you haven't in fact read the thread.
    That is your assumption. It would be incorrect.
    Wow. With a €630,000 payoff to former financial regulator Neary and the only answer to the cabinet's feeble protests a middle finger raised as he sailed off into the sunset, you're bringing up the civil service in this thread? One might almost be convinced you're holding some sort of grudge and are using the poor students as an excuse to exercise it. Please keep on topic here.
    Why should I bear a grudge? I'm not a civil servant!!

Again, you are completely missing the point made, which actually had nothing to do with the civil service, except as an example.

You patronisingly accused me of ranting off-topic, and suggested that such should be re-directed to the Ranting and Raving forum.

I pointed out that my comments were very much on-topic, and pointed to an example of your own OTT rants on a thread that was actually about the TUI, and asked if you would therefore feel it appropriate for me to answer your arguments on that thread by telling you to take it to Ranting and Raving?
    Again, if you can't be constructive, I don't see why you'd bother.
    Living? I find it suits me better than dying.
    skelliser wrote: »
    I have to disagree with your point on the de-centralising RAG / College Week from the campus, randy.
    Ah, skelliser ... good, back to the actual topic!! :)

I don't know, I think it's one factor tbh ... when it was official, and even smiled upon, and most activities happened on campus in a controlled environment, there didn't seem to be half the problems.

That said, I would agree completely with the rest of your post ...
    skelliser wrote: »
    I actually think the problem is deeper and specifically drink related.

It seems to me that the main objective is to get absolutely pissed as fast as possible. To constantly try and out do each other in terms of drinking the most.

Granted i participated in many a RAG week but we learnt to pace ourselves and mostly drank beer. The advent of cheep spirits has made things alot worse.

I dunno, maybe im being hypocritical but i sadly feel that the long tradition of drink being a problem in ireland is only getting worse.

I actually ashamed of days like st.patricks day to be Irish. Im not even going to mention arthurs day.
    Drink culture in Ireland is horrendous, and across all the generations, not just the young, though they tend to exhibit the most obvious examples.

Dare I suggest that another factor might be that some of the children of our infamous Celtic Kitten seem to have been brought up to believe (by the example of their elders, as much as anything else!) that enough is never enough, and that personal responsibility and self-discipline are outdated concepts?

Mind you, I say "some" ... I also know many young people who are very responsible about their drinking, and would absolutely abhor the excesses of the minority as described in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭blue5

Was in Galway during the week and before I'd heard about any of the issues mentioned here I noticed a weird vibe walking down shop street.

It was only later on we found out what had been going on in Galway. Vibe wasn't "happy students just having a laugh" at all. They were coming across as nasty and unapproachable. Different attitudes to any other Rag week I've ever seen, not nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

You patronisingly accused me of ranting off-topic, and suggested that such should be re-directed to the Ranting and Raving forum.
    Oh-kay, listen, if you feel you must carry your personal grudge match with you across forum boundaries, just be aware that your posts are no longer visible to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Simarillion

I hope this has been mentioned before but frankly I can't bring myself to read through the 7 or so pages of this thread.

Students are students and always have been and always will be.
    But being a student is not a carte blanche to cause havoc within the city and cause endless amount of damage.

But whilst being a student you are encouraged by pasts stories and anecdotes to be as mischievous as possible and push all the boundaries you can find.

I have spent 4yrs in NUIG and am now doing a post-grad in the UK and I can say that during my years in Galway, Rag Week was always mayhem, but it's the exact same over here, and during spring break in the US and frankly in every university the world over.
    I don't know why we are always surprised when Rag Week get crazy as though it's a new phenomenon.

Yes the students have gone a step too far, and yes those who break the law should be punished, but how can the city council complain about student behaviour when they allow the clubs to open earlier, get everyone pissed and then toss them all out on the street at 2 o'clock in the afternoon! How can they give out about the litter on Eyre Sq but not force Supermacs to clean up all their rubbish from the street.
    If alcohol is available, students will find it, and drink it, and if you close everything down for Rag Week they will buy everything in advance and stockpile it, but at least try and reduce the mayhem by limiting the opening hours of clubs, pubs and off licences

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Columc wrote: »
    Ya but this is what your 6th RAG week? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the attitude, its my third and final one actually. Never once caused a piece of trouble, never approved of any of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

If anyone had checked in the Cuirt na Coiribe shop, having 'Rag Week Specials' on bottles of wine in a store owned by the Student Accommodation and then complaining about anti-social behavior is ridiculous.

A lot of the trouble could have been stopped with a bit of attention, namely the crowds of people getting into Gort na Coiribe over a fence at Dunnes when the Security only goes as far as the gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

I've read all the pages up to this point and I have noted all your comments Colum. I have been biting my tongue up to this point but I have to say that your spelling is atrocious for a college educated young man.

A bit of advice: Stop defending the students on the boards, switch off the computer, open a book and catch up on your english grammar. Good man. :o

oh noes my spelling is terrible on a online webforum, grammar nazi shall come and put me away. meh dont care, I know my spelling is bad, I dont care my spelling is bad, I signed no terms and conditions on I need perfect English.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Thanks for the attitude, its my third and final one actually. Never once caused a piece of trouble, never approved of any of it.

Thanks for telling us, but it looks like you dont understand the feature of quoting a post and replying to it. I was in no way talking to you about that comment and the context.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 GalwayRob

Ah here lads, this is fierce boring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Who will clean up after this lot made s*** of the place? someone who never got the opportunity to go to college no doubt!
    Someone who is paid to do so.

Why should I clean up after myself when someone else is paid to do it? Perfect example of the entitled, self-indulgent attitude these idiots collectively share. Who's paying this person to clean up? You? Take some responsibility for yourself, good man.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Why should I clean up after myself when someone else is paid to do it? Perfect example of the entitled, self-indulgent attitude these idiots collectively share. Who's paying this person to clean up? You? Take some responsibility for yourself, good man.

The sense of entitlement is shocking alright.
    Celtic tiger cubs who have no idea how the world works.
    Thinking they deserve the right to wreck places, set fires and throw bottles at people because they had some essays due in and that's stress in the real world. Thinking that people should be paid to clean up after them because they can't hold their drink.
    Actually going out into the world hoping mammy will keep clearing up after them.

The sense of entitlement is shocking alright.
    Celtic tiger cubs who have no idea how the world works.
    Thinking they deserve the right to wreck places, set fires and throw bottles at people because they had some essays due in and that's stress in the real world. Thinking that people should be paid to clean up after them because they can't hold their drink.
    Actually going out into the world hoping mammy will keep clearing up after them.

Poor little babies, struggling to attend the subsidised 12 hours of lectures a week and the 1500-word essays they have to hand in by the end of the term. Makes me grateful that I only have to work 70+ hours in six days for a living.

It's all okay though because the slightly older mouth-breathers on St. Patrick's day and the pigs in suits on race week are "just as bad," apparently. Great attitude to have, why don't we all just see who can slide down to the gutter the fastest? Last to vomit on himself is a rotten egg!

In a perfect world this is what would happen -

Those who cause damage will be forced to pay for the cost of getting it repaired.
    Those who litter will be forced to clean up every single piece of it.
    Those who are acting the muppet will face on the spot fines.
    Those who get arrested will also face expulsion from college if they are found to be NUIG or GMIT students.

But no, it won't happen and the student's unions will bitch and moan but not do anything to stop it. The NUIG and GMIT SU needs to work in conjunction with the Gardaí to ensure that those who cause all this sh1t will not ruin the week for those who are genuinely just having a good time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭996tt

Poor little babies, struggling to attend the subsidised 12 hours of lectures a week and the 1500-word essays they have to hand in by the end of the term. Makes me grateful that I only have to work 70+ hours in six days for a living.

It's all okay though because the slightly older mouth-breathers on St. Patrick's day and the pigs in suits on race week are "just as bad," apparently. Great attitude to have, why don't we all just see who can slide down to the gutter the fastest? Last to vomit on himself is a rotten egg!

Dont forget about what happened at the rangers celtic game during the week, according to one poster their carry on makes the students carry on okay

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Ah the mention of race week allows me to re-tell one of my favourite race week stories. My friend and I went to Charcoal Grill on the Saturday night and there was this drunken young fellow leaning up against a wall outside...our happy go lucky Saturday turned into one of horror as we watched this young man start reach into garbage bags that were outside the grill and picking out burgers and kebabs and tucking into them...he even took a burger bun out and licked it, I was nearly sick.

A garda was beside us just laughing his ass of, saying for feck sake, would somebody just buy the poor lad a burger!

Ah thank you drunken young lad in a suit. You made my night!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

thirty arrests were made. does anyone know what became of them. were they merely cautioned and released or do they have to come before the court? the former would encourage this kind of behaviour, while the latter may act as a deterrent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭996tt

Fuinseog wrote: »
    thirty arrests were made. does anyone know what became of them. were they merely cautioned and released or do they have to come before the court? the former would encourage this kind of behaviour, while the latter may act as a deterrent.

6 of them seem to have gotten of lightly, not sure about the rest
    STUDENTS IN COLLEGE WEEK DISTURBANCES ESCAPE COURT

March 4, 2011 - 1:56pm STUDENTS IN COLLEGE WEEK DISTURBANCES ESCAPE COURT

Six students have escaped court appearances over disturbances during NUIG's 'College Week'.
    The six men were arrested last night for being drunk in public.
    Galway Gardai have confirmed that four male students have been given an adult caution while two more were given on the spot fines for intoxication.
    It brings the total number of public order arrests to 28 so far, while three more students were arrested for criminal damage this week.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/18121-students-college-week-disturbances-escape-court

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Oh-kay, listen, if you feel you must carry your personal grudge match with you across forum boundaries ...
    What. personal. grudge?! :D

Jeez, but you have a wonderful talent for twisting the words of those who disagree with you to make them say what you want to hear! :D
    ... just be aware that your posts are no longer visible to me.
    Excellent! I'd be tempted to do the same, but I've never believed in ignoring / dismissing / twisting the words of those who disagree with me. :)
    The NUIG and GMIT SU needs to work in conjunction with the Gardaí to ensure that those who cause all this sh1t will not ruin the week for those who are genuinely just having a good time.
    Spot on!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

The problem seems to be that those who cause the trouble aren't being penalized for it. They need to bring in on-the-spot fines and the like. Guaranteed that would put a halt to gobsh1te behaviour.
    One the spot hammerings more like.
    Maybe someone should tell the cops they're Student Fees protesters or peace loving Reclaim The Streets hippies. Then they'd batter batter the sh1te out of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

996tt wrote: »
    Dont forget about what happened at the rangers celtic game during the week, according to one poster their carry on makes the students carry on okay

what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

PomBear wrote: »
    what happened?

It had it all, fights, banter, a crap goal.

PomBear wrote: »
    what happened?

Some heated arguments broke out, it seems.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-12631956

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

dloob wrote: »
    Good news NUIG wants the whole thing abandoned.
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/18059-nuig-head-calls-college-week-cancellation

Rather than call on the SU to abandon it why not schedule some exams and mandatory lecture attendance to coincide with it.

If Facebook can organise widespread riots in Egypt, then organising an unofficial rag week will be a doddle. Especially as 95% of the student population use the site.

If the college try to organise exams for around the same time, students will simply change the date of this unofficial week.

That's the funny thing about students, when they're not pissed or causing mayhem they're actually quite intelligent :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Rareroastbeef

Columc wrote: »
    oh noes my spelling is terrible on a online webforum, grammar nazi shall come and put me away. meh dont care, I know my spelling is bad, I dont care my spelling is bad, I signed no terms and conditions on I need perfect English.

Quite.

Both Galway and the pubs could live very happily without the troublesome students, all of whom have a queue of people waiting to take their places, literally.

Go around the pubs and nightclubs and ask the owners how they would fare without the students. The nightclubs would be gone in a week, with many pubs following soon after, with many jobs going too. Like it or not, students are essentials to the towns economy.

dafunk wrote: »
    I got bored on page two with all the whinging and complaining. There must be 20 - 30 thousand students in this city. Once a year a handful of those have a fire and break a few beer bottles and the whole city goes ape****. This isn't news worthy. All those complaining about the noise in your estate, complain to the landlords or live somewhere else. You chose to buy or rent in studentville. Live with it.

After reading over 20 pages, this is the most sensible thing ive seen. Like I said on another thread, the tenants weren't complaining with the reduced rent rates or house prices that you receive for living in "studentville". You paid less for locating in the likes of Dun na Coribe, so stop complaining. For the same money you could get a less luxurious house somewhere else and have no student trouble. It's up to you to decide which you'd prefer.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Go around the pubs and nightclubs and ask the owners how they would fare without the students. The nightclubs would be gone in a week, with many pubs following soon after, with many jobs going too. Like it or not, students are essentials to the towns economy.

After reading over 20 pages, this is the most sensible thing ive seen. Like I said on another thread, the tenants weren't complaining with the reduced rent rates or house prices that you receive for living in "studentville". You paid less for locating in the likes of Dun na Coribe, so stop complaining. For the same money you could get a less luxurious house somewhere else and have no student trouble. It's up to you to decide which you'd prefer.

Yeah you're entirely right. I mean breaking glass, attacking emergency services, causing them to be misdirected in the first place, wrecking public property and agressing members of the public. Sher that's just having the craic and anyone who doesn't like it should move on.
    Catch a clue son.

Yeah you're entirely right. I mean breaking glass, attacking emergency services, causing them to be misdirected in the first place, wrecking public property and agressing members of the public. Sher that's just having the craic and anyone who doesn't like it should move on.
    Catch a clue son.

I'm not arguing that all that is stupid and unacceptable. But, rightly or wrongly, people should come to expect a bit of messing in the student estates.

Say back in the 80's, you decided to locate in the old Ballymun flats? (Best example I can think of). Would you not come to expect break in's and drug dealing? They are wrong certainly, but you would get a "well what do you expect" attitude of you kicked up a fuss about it.

No need for the patronising "son" bit, I could easily be older than you. Or am I playing with fire saying that to a mod?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I'm not arguing that all that is stupid and unacceptable. But, rightly or wrongly, people should come to expect a bit of messing in the student estates.

Say back in the 80's, you decided to locate in the old Ballymun flats? (Best example I can think of). Would you not come to expect break in's and drug dealing? They are wrong certainly, but you would get a "well what do you expect" attitude of you kicked up a fuss about it.

No need for the patronising "son" bit, I could easily be older than you. Or am I playing with fire saying that to a mod?

Ok so we've gone from comparing the Student behaviour to football hooliganism, and now to the old Ballymun flats?

What if you ARE a student and don't want to put up with this cr*p.
    What if a**hole students moved in to YOUR area.

No, I don't accept that people should have to move to avoid some of the vandalism and abuse that happened. Dunno what your definition of 'a bit of messin' is? Mine stops at a few loud parties tbh.

Taxi driver told me tonight that the windows of 2 Citylink buses got smashed on Wed, as '50 or 100 students' were blocking the road, driver beeped, and they pelted bottles at the windows. The drivers fault for choosing that road to drive on I suppose?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

I live in Dún, not a student, and had no bother during the week. No need for the condescending "studentville" comment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement