Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Students Rag Week Trouble

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    But, rightly or wrongly, people should come to expect a bit of messing in the student estates.

10-15 years ago there was less than a handful of student houses in Hazel Park.
    Are you suggesting that people who have lived there for most of their lives should move elsewhere, simply because students move in and feel entitled to act the prick?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I was probably a little too "black and white" in the point I was trying to make, I still think I have a point though.

Perhaps the way forward is the creation of more student only housing, such as Corrib Village. Obviously i'm not advocating more aimless building, but surely there's a general process to make that work.

One thing for certain, student trouble won't stop and it's virtually impossible to ban Rag week. Whether there's an overload of no tolerance Gardai next year or not, residents of student populated areas shouldn't expect respite from Rag week any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Hey Guys,

I met with a friend yesterday and thought I'd share his stories from last week.

He lives out in Woodquay. He always takes the week off and goes home because he can't sleep through it. This year he took off but didn't go home.

One of the days he was leaving his house, had his back turned to the street as he came out because he has to pull a latch to close the door, he tripped over a girl that was crouched over with her skirt hiked up taking a piss on the street at 12 in the day.

There's a sewing place near him that someone took a sh!t against the wall of. They tried to power wash it but ended up chipping the paint off instead to get rid of it.

We had a discussion between us since we've both lived full time in the city for years. He's lived in it longer than me. He's been living in Woodquay for 7 years. Anyway, he thinks RAG week is much much worse than Paddys Day or Race Week. BUT which I found interesting. He said the all time worst was Arthurs Day from this past year. He said he has never seen the town at it's worst than Arthurs day.

I was suprised at that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Let's wait and see how much damage is done on Paddy's Day first so we can compare them properly. Tis only 10 days away.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Nuigforce

Chicken1 wrote: »
    Living in Galway all my life and never before heard of bonfires associated with rag week it appears to be a new thing with them, putting Dunnes Stores trolleys on flat roofs and putting a fire in them was no fun either which is what they done in Hazel Park in Newcastle

That was a barbeque now in fairness!!

and i believe it was a tesco trolley...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

It's already been said but for RAG week to change (or for students to cop on a bit) an example needs to be made of those who were arrested.
    Whether it be expulsion (could even be applied to students from other colleges that came down for the week) or community service/hefty fine (for those not going to college).

Until something heavy handed is done it's not going to get any better.

It was done for street racing and modified cars around Galway by Judge Mary Fahy who handed out severe punishments to anyone found guilty to make an example of them and as a gentle reminder to those who thought there was no harm in acting the maggot in their car.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement