Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Students Rag Week Trouble

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Columc wrote: »
    I remember in my first year, Galway was actualy burned down. thse students this year dont know how to act!

Every year its the same, dosent the river inn bar opposite the hospital have to close during these times cause a few years ago they got more damage done to the premises then actual money taken in from sales

yeah, they should start kicking in the doors of homes where the elderly live. that would be mighty craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

Yesterday evening I took my dogs for a walk around the area where I live in town and got hassled by three different groups of drunk students. It's amazing what people find funny when they've had too much to drink.

Plus one of the windows at my grandmother's house was broken. The house is in town, in an area that's heavily populated by students. It's been broken three times and always when there is some student excitement. And what's this about a group hitting up Tesco yesterday and causing trouble in there?

I'm not against people having a few drinks and enjoying themselves and I enjoyed Rag Week when I was in UCG, but things really seem to have gotten bad over the last few years as regards public order.
    Why should the rest of us have to put up with this when we're just trying to go about our business?
    Funny those who give out about RAG week are usually the same if not worse on Paddys day or Race week

Beg to differ here. Personally, I like to enjoy myself in moderation without ruining it for other people. You don't have to get fall down drunk to have a good time.

at least they have not made it coincide with the Novena.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

galway23 wrote: »
    Just wondering if any of the posters on here defending the students actually live in any of the areas that are affected???

the only areas I saw as affected were Corrib Village and Gort na Coirbe

PomBear wrote: »

the latter has normal people living there as well. they can tear corrib village apart for all i care but when it spills out into normal residential areas that is a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 galway23

What about Newcastle rd, Hazel Park, Fairlands Park, Greenfields etc etc? because all those areas are most certainly affected and they are not "Student Villages"

These students are an absolute disgrace.

What about Newcastle rd, Hazel Park, Fairlands Park, Greenfields etc etc? because all those areas are most certainly affected and they are not "Student Villages"

These students are an absolute disgrace.

In what way were they affected?

In what way were they affected?
    Girls running around stark naked, students unrinating anywhere and everywhere, noise levels that ensure noone can sleep, bins being tossed everywhere, broken glass and other rubbish everywhere. Listen to Galway bay fm tomorrow and im sure you'll hear more.
    People living in their family homes have a right to feel safe and secure and not have to put up with this type of outrageous and unaceptable behaviour from students.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

Girls running around stark naked, students unrinating anywhere and everywhere, noise levels that ensure noone can sleep, bins being tossed everywhere, broken glass and other rubbish everywhere. Listen to Galway bay fm tomorrow and im sure you'll hear more.
    People living in their family homes have a right to feel safe and secure and not have to put up with this type of outrageous and unaceptable behaviour from students.

That is appalling. Where did this happen?

I should investigate and make sure it doesn't happen again.

Again all this happens and worse on Race week and Paddys day, it's not in any way exclusive to students

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

A few fools have a bonfire, it wouldnt be news if it wasn't students
    Yeah, shams have bonfires every night of the week and zero whining.
    Probably 'cos they'd give you a box if you did.

KylieWyley wrote: »
    That is appalling. Where did this happen?

I should investigate and make sure it doesn't happen again.
    I recommend a citizen's arrest.:D

Fuinseog wrote: »
    race week is mad, especially in the city centre, bit it does not spill out into the suburbs, where some people enjoy a bit of piece and quiet.
    Like shoite it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 frank50

Disgraceful stuff. I think these misbehaving students haven't been disciplined enough when they were younger. We need parents to be stricter with them. Too much mollycoddling going on. When I used to be acting the clown when I was younger my father used to hit me and rightly so. And before someone starts banging on about me being some old fellah, I'm only 25.

Again all this happens and worse on Race week and Paddys day, it's not in any way exclusive to students
    I have lived in my house all my life. You are wrong. What I witnessed today I have never seen happen ever before where I live.

As someone else on this thread rightly pointed out, any bad behaviour that happens on Paddys day or during Race week is confined to the city centre which means for the large part family homes are not affected, this does not excuse the behaviour either.
    Are you telling me that I dont have the right to feel safe and secure in my own home 365 days a year?
    Your justification seems to be that just because you think it happens to same extent then (which it doesn't) that it is acceptable. It is not.

Again do you or anyone else defending this behaviour LIVE in any of the areas affected?

Just wondering if any of the posters on here defending the students actually live in any of the areas that are affected???

No I don't, but not so long ago I was in nuig and in the 4 years I was there I did rag week every year and we didn't hold back, a full weeks drinking day and night. Throughout the years I was in various different places and I never saw anything other than harmless fun. Yes there might be a bit of extra noise and a minority may litter but in general it was all pretty harmless and its only 5 days in the year.

I will be on to my sister later in the week anyway who is partaking in rag week for the real stories rather than the completely blown out of proportion ringing Keith Finnegan nonsense.

As someone else on this thread rightly pointed out, any bad behaviour that happens on Paddys day or during Race week is confined to the city centre which means for the large part family homes are not affected, this does not excuse the behaviour either.
    And I said he was wrong. Any estate across the city is liable for "trouble" during race week.

I have lived in my house all my life. You are wrong. What I witnessed today I have never seen happen ever before where I live.

Are you telling me that I dont have the right to feel safe and secure in my own home 365 days a year?
    Your justification seems to be that just because you think it happens to same extent then (which it doesn't) that it is acceptable. It is not.

Again do you or anyone else defending this behaviour LIVE in any of the areas affected?

I don't find it acceptable actually but I feel there's poor organisation by the University and An Gardaí to deal with the issue.

I live near town and the drunken yobs are certainly worse on Paddys Day and Race Week. You cannot criticise students for the drunkeness in our society. I don't defend what the students have done but certainly there's alot of people quicker to criticise the students rather than all in our society.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    And I said he was wrong. Any estate across the city is liable for "trouble" during race week.

I have personally never witnessed it but I accept that does not mean it doesn't happen.As I have said previously that does not make what happens then or during rag week acceptable!!!!!!!

No I don't, but not so long ago I was in nuig and in the 4 years I was there I did rag week every year and we didn't hold back, a full weeks drinking day and night. Throughout the years I was in various different places and I never saw anything other than harmless fun. Yes there might be a bit of extra noise and a minority may litter but in general it was all pretty harmless and its only 5 days in the year.

I will be on to my sister later in the week anyway who is partaking in rag week for the real stories rather than the completely blown out of proportion ringing Keith Finnegan nonsense.

So was I, and like you I enjoyed my rag weeks. I am in no way against students having a bit of fun. What I am against is the yobbish animal like behaviour that I witnessed today and I dont care if its only for 5 days, it is not acceptable ever for any period of time.

When you talk to your sister she may well tell you about all the harmless fun she had and she may well be correct in saying it was harmless. However some students will have had "fun" that is not harmless.
    The things I am mad about today I did not hear from Keith Finnegan they are either first hand accounts or events I witnessed personally

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

It's just not what it used to be, a couple of years ago, i would have to make and install lots of stairs and door components to replace the damaged ones. Now days, rag week produces feck all work... i think the students nowdays are just too soft.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

It's not all students by any means, only a minority - but a fcukhead minority nonetheless! And we are forgetting, students are 'residents' too! If the vandalism is in a mainly student area, the dic*heads' actions still make the lives of other students a pain. So yes, all areas are affected.
    I live in a mixed area - students/non-students, income, rentals/owner occ etc. The place got glassed this week more than any other week of the year, due to 4 student houses having messy parties. Not great for an area with kids playing.

Race week and some other days are NUTS yes, but the messers tend to stay in town or go to clubs as opposed to taking the chaos back to the suburbs. In rag week, the partying students have less disposable income, so have more parties. So in that way they are different, and the suburbs get hit worse than normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

I live by Greenfields, when I look out my window I see none of the above.
    My friend lives on Newcastle Road, near the junction with the N6, she hasn't seen any of the above.

The most nakedness I've seen was some fool doing a dare in his boxers. I've seen PLENTY of drunk people staggering around, shouting etc but nothing that upset me. I slept fine last night. My bins weren't turned over, nor were my neighbours nor is there any glass/rubbish around.

I guess you have neighbours from hell, hardly enough to slam 15,000 students! Do you live IN Corrib Village? :p

Also, Galway Bay FM isn't very reliable at this time of year, nor any other local media. Which year was it that Gardaí said local media had exaggerated the extent of the problem? (It was just one year in particular, not every year)

The likes of what happened in Gort na Coiribe is terrible, and completely unnecessary if one seeks the craic, but so far we've had a bonfire in Gort na Coiribe and everyone's gone cracked already.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Lets hear more about the naked girls.

I don't find it acceptable actually but I feel there's poor organisation by the University and An Gardaí to deal with the issue.

[I]Totally agree with you but I or anyone else should not have to suffer because of it. Students are adults who should know right from wrong.[/I]

I live near town and the drunken yobs are certainly worse on Paddys Day and Race Week.

That is your opinion based on your experiences, I have given mine based on my experience and I guess we will have to agree to disaggree on that one.

You cannot criticise students for the drunkeness in our society.

See my point above, I think you can blame them, noone is forcing them to act like idiots and drink themselves into oblivion.

I don't defend what the students have done but certainly there's alot of people quicker to criticise the students rather than all in our society.
    I commented on what I have witnessed today, I dont care if they're aliens from Mars.

Anyways, on that note, I am one of the lucky people that still has a job to go to at 9 in the morning so I will say good night and hope I and everyone else on this thread can sleep well tonight.
    (sorry, dont know how to break the quote up into bits, but im sure you get my point)

...a job to go to at 9 in the morning so I will say good night..

Still a bit early is it not?

I commented on what I have witnessed today, I dont care if they're aliens from Mars.

Anyways, on that note, I am one of the lucky people that still has a job to go to at 9 in the morning so I will say good night and hope I and everyone else on this thread can sleep well tonight.
    (sorry, dont know how to break the quote up into bits, but im sure you get my point)

ok, tell Keith Finnegan I said hello

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I had 2 separate incidents with students last night. 2 different lads brushed into me pissed as clowns.

One of them in particular was an idiot. Calling me a ****. Tried to goad me into a fight. Brave boy. I was so close to knocking his block off but decided it'd be my luck to be the one who got in to trouble so I left it.

Many of them are walking the town thinking they own the place.

Nobody here can deny that. If you do, you must be one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Pure Sound

However some students will have had "fun" that is not harmless.
    You have summed up exactly why people here are taking the students side. You can't blame all students for what you have seen. In any scenario where there is mass drinking there is going to be trouble, the students live in estates so unfortunately now with the price of alcohol in pubs and the lack of part time jobs available they are going to be drinking cans around them. Realistically the council should be giving attention for clean up in these areas in the same way that they would treat town during the races and the Guards should be regularily showing there presence.

If the incidences were really as bad as you are making out report it to the Guards.

• Advertisement

I just walked past a group of drunk girls and one of them said "howya" in a very suggestive way. I rock.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement