Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Students Rag Week Trouble

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Pure Sound

I just walked past a group of drunk girls and one of them said "howya" in a very suggestive way. I rock.
    Still got it :D

kraggy wrote: »
    I had 2 separate incidents with students last night. 2 different lads brushed into me pissed as clowns.

One of them in particular was an idiot. Calling me a ****. Tried to goad me into a fight. Brave boy. I was so close to knocking his block off but decided it'd be my luck to be the one who got in to trouble so I left it.

Many of them are walking the town thinking they own the place.

Nobody here can deny that. If you do, you must be one of them.

But this happens to people every friday and saturday night up and down the country, just because it happened on a monday night does not make it more of an issue. I'm not saying its ok btw just that its not in anyway exclusive to rag week.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭kieran26

i live in Dun na Coirbe and the mess that they left down by the sandy river was ridiculous. also there was alot of broken glass on the road yesterday evening. i also saw people jumping out in front of cars and generally being a nuisance! The cops came and moved everyone along and its been ok since really. i think they were worse last year! alot of people come up to galwayfrom different colleges form around the country and these to me seem to be the worse behaved as they have no real ties to the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

But this happens to people every friday and saturday night up and down the country, just because it happened on a monday night does not make it more of an issue. I'm not saying its ok btw just that its not in anyway exclusive to rag week.

2 within 7 minutes?

Both of whom were definitley students. The first one stumbles across my path. I suggest he minds himself. I say it in a friendly, advisory manner. He purposely brushes up against me. I advise him to not do it again. Look at him and decide I'm not getting into trouble because of a piece of **** like that. He calls me a cúnt, I tell him to not say it again, he does, I go back and am about to flatten him, then put all my energy into ignoring him and walk away. I'm afraid to think what I would have done to him.

7 mins later, another guy, stupid drunk falls into the people in front of me then falls into me. This second guy isn't malicious though. Would want to cop on and learn to be more mature about drink however.

The first guy....I'm regretting not hammering him.

Also in town, broken glass everywhere. No less than 12 piss pools trickling down the wall and across the footpath at the side of Debenhams.

Even girls making smart comments in the safety of numbers. Why not have the craic in a friendly, positive way instead of ruining the town that plays host to them?

MUCH MORE HASSLE, CRAP, MESS AND BAD ATMOSPHERE than any Saturday night I've experienced in the last few years.

I've decided, Irish people really don't grow up until the age of 25.

Students are just kids. Spoiled kids (some of them).

And was talking to the guards yesterday. They said that they were overstretched with vandalism in the estates and couldn't man the city centre.

I wish to fúck they'd employ a zero tolerance and make an example of a few by charging them. Criminal record, no J-1 to the States.

That'll learn 'em. Well, some of them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

the people of fairlands and hazel park etc are IMO faaaaaaar too soft.
    i would absolutley HOUND the landlords of the houses where the students causing trouble are living.
    i know people living in hazel park and this isnt exclusive to RAG week.
    theres parties in hazel nearly every night,no problem with them having parties but when they spend longer outside the house roaring and shouting and causing bother for families whove been living in that estate for 20+ years than inside the house,its just wrong.
    if it was me,id have the landlords heads WRECKED.this **** has to stop.

as for what happens in town,thats the responsibilty of the gardai and their cctv and anyone caught doing anything deemed illegal should be charged with the offence,far too much made of these little bastards & they get away with it all the time and its unfair on the students who arent acting the absolute bollox and want to have the craic,genuinely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭chuckliddell

speaking of J-1's, if these little Shoites pulled any stunts in the states like they do here they'd be strung up by they're Fcukin genitals and shipped back home to mammy and daddy. caught some c**t pissin up against my front door today when i arrived back home from work, he got a smack and a hard kick up the hole, his mates started mouthing off to me then, on my front door step on my property, i had to laugh, i ate bigger dinners than them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

They seem to have a new 'game' this year: scare an older person by 'pretend' punching them.

Had the misfortune of walking up Eyre St around 12 last night. Just past the Hole in the Wall this kid came racing up to me and took a swing, nowhere close to connecting but I still got a shock and jumped back. The young lad ran away laughing to cheers from his mates.
    Got as far as the back of Dunnes and another lad comes at me fist flying. I stood still this time and he walked away sheepishly and a few mates joined him.
    Got to Roches corner and saw another lad 'revving up'. When he took his swing I held him against the wall unviolently (if thats a word). His mates then arrived with 'we are only messing' 'hes drunk' and a couple of girls 'pleeeze dont hit him' etc. I gave a bit of a speech and let them stagger off.

Curious at this stage I hung around and watched. In the next ten minutes I saw three other different kids running at people who were middle aged and not part of the student crowd to cheers from their group when the 'victims' jumped.
    Ive been around a long time (from when the tent used to be in the College for gigs and the worst thing that used happen was a few idiots would throw eggs at people) and I can honestly say this year is the worst Ive seen for stupidness, broken glass etc. I wasnt out tonight so hopefully Monday was first night jitters.

Thats all!

They seem to have a new 'game' this year: scare an older person by 'pretend' punching them.

Had the misfortune of walking up Eyre St around 12 last night. Just past the Hole in the Wall this kid came racing up to me and took a swing, nowhere close to connecting but I still got a shock and jumped back. The young lad ran away laughing to cheers from his mates.
    Got as far as the back of Dunnes and another lad comes at me fist flying. I stood still this time and he walked away sheepishly and a few mates joined him.
    Got to Roches corner and saw another lad 'revving up'. When he took his swing I held him against the wall unviolently (if thats a word). His mates then arrived with 'we are only messing' 'hes drunk' and a couple of girls 'pleeeze dont hit him' etc. I gave a bit of a speech and let them stagger off.

Curious at this stage I hung around and watched. In the next ten minutes I saw three other different kids running at people who were middle aged and not part of the student crowd to cheers from their group when the 'victims' jumped.
    Ive been around a long time (from when the tent used to be in the College for gigs and the worst thing that used happen was a few idiots would throw eggs at people) and I can honestly say this year is the worst Ive seen for stupidness, broken glass etc. I wasnt out tonight so hopefully Monday was first night jitters.

Thats all!

see?its this sort of ****e that causes the most trouble.attempting to punch someone,joking or not,is provocation and i know,myself id have laid one of them out on the path.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 phillydushior

Tonight while busking I was robbed of most of my earnings! I can't believe how crazy it has been getting out there...

simpsons-mob.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

frank50 wrote: »
    Disgraceful stuff. I think these misbehaving students haven't been disciplined enough when they were younger. We need parents to be stricter with them. Too much mollycoddling going on. When I used to be acting the clown when I was younger my father used to hit me and rightly so. And before someone starts banging on about me being some old fellah, I'm only 25.

Personal issues forum is that way ---->

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Tonight while busking I was robbed of most of my earnings! I can't believe how crazy it has been getting out there...

jeez thats terrible, busking is one of the things that make galway such a class place.
    Assholes!

Im not to long outta college myself and did every RAG week to the full. We drank all day and all night but we never abused other non students and never caused any trouble.

It has gotten worse in the last 3/4 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 The Jester

<RANT>

I think anybody who complains about RAG week must have been kept in mammy's basement and deprived of the experience of youth and craic.

You talk about the students as if they were a swarm of locusts. There is easily less than €500,000 damage done to the city during RAG week, the students generate MILLIONS in revenue for the people and businesses of this city.

I don't suppose many of you know what it's like to be a soon to be graduate in this country?

So for god sake let the students have their fun.. they'll remember it fondly when trying to fix this mess of a country.

</RANT>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

The Jester wrote: »
    less than €500,000 damage done to the city during RAG week

let the students have their fun
    My idea of fun and yours are a little different, it would seem. If some students, upon reaching an actual city for the first time in their lives, prove to be so badly raised that their first reaction is to interfere with the lives of other people round them, perhaps a conviction or two would not go amiss.

Contact the College or University authorities, they are quite receptive to reports about misbehaving students these days. We had some serious problems in our area until we spoke to the student affairs officer, who levied fines on a couple of houses. Everything has been quiet since.

Galway is not your playground, if you want to live the xzibit lifestyle take your xzibit money and buy an estate in the countryside. Not everything comes down to a cost benefit analysis, students have to learn to respect the people of Galway just like everyone else. If you don't like it, take your spending somewhere else, please. We won't miss the minority of troublemakers, believe me.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

Just wondering - does anyone have any complaints about GMIT's rag week last week (21st-25th)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

xo.mary wrote: »
    Just wondering - does anyone have any complaints about GMIT's rag week last week (21st-25th)?

No they all don't drink and act like their parents would be proud of them.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

TheUsual wrote: »
    No they all don't drink and act like their parents would be proud of them.

:rolleyes:

I know a lot of GMIT students and they said they were waiting for NUIG rag week to go out as thats "were the party is" Also a lot of students from UL are up this week to party.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 galway23

I have answered everybodys questions and queries here in a reasonable and fair manner and have never made it personal. The same cannot be said for some of the other posters on this thread.

I will not be posting again on this thread as I have already spent enough of my time dealing with students bad behavior.

It is bad what the students are doing but it is worse that people actually defend their actions.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

In my day...

things were roughly the same way they are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

kieran26 wrote: »
    i live in Dun na Coirbe and the mess that they left down by the sandy river was ridiculous. also there was alot of broken glass on the road yesterday evening. i also saw people jumping out in front of cars and generally being a nuisance! The cops came and moved everyone along and its been ok since really. i think they were worse last year! alot of people come up to galwayfrom different colleges form around the country and these to me seem to be the worse behaved as they have no real ties to the place.

I work with a guy here who lives in Dun na Coirbe. He's a gentleman, wouldn't hurt a fly. He took a year out from work a few years back to do unpaid charity work for that year.

Last Tuesday morning was the first time in five years I saw him angry and upset. He told us on his way home from work on Monday approx 4pm he drove up past the green area in Dun na Coirbe (I'm not familiar with that estate). He told us how his car got mobbed by about 10 or 12 students, people, whatever like!!! Jumped out in front and on the back of his car while pushing it up and down. One fella dropped his pants and rubbed his ass on the drivers door window. Nice! (okay I did smile a bit at first). He was pretty shaken (no pun) up about this.

He continued on where he spotted the shades and a fire truck. Fire truck was there because of the fire in green I'm guessing. He spoke to a ban garda who was sitting in the squad and asked her if she saw what happened. Her reply was that there were there to keep control.
    IMO the mob saw this mild mannered man coming home from work and decided to pick on the easy target.

Read through some of the posts on this tread makes me laugh. How the f^&* can anyone defend this sh!t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

I have a feeling he is my next door neighbour.

Monday was really bad especially at that time, I was coming home from work at a similar time. Luckily I'm not as mild mannered as him, and got less grief.

The students living near us were quite good in respect to those around the Gort na Coiribe bit.

Who pays for the security that is there now?

It would be nice to see the students getting some sort of consequence for their actions. I would have made them clear the place up rather than get Winters around to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

I live in Dún and there's been no problems whatsoever, as I posted earlier in the thread the Gardaí have been in and out looking around a few times but its been quiet. Walked past Cuirt and Gort na Coirribe this morning and there's a lot of glass and bottle caps around and in one section of the green area there's cans and stuff but I've seen nothing shocking going on apart from people blaring music and having a few cans.

I'm not defending the actions of anyone who partakes in damaging other people's property or pisses on windows etc, but its the same every year, a small minority ruin the experience for everyone. The university's code of conduct applies to all stundent accomodations during the year and I've seen plenty hauled in for their actions during rag week, so there are consequences. I graduated in 2009 and the 4 rag week's I had were far wilder than anything you see now, I dont understand the argument that students are getting worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

The Jester wrote: »
    <RANT>

I don't suppose many of you know what it's like to be a soon to be graduate in this country?

So for god sake let the students have their fun.. they'll remember it fondly when trying to fix this mess of a country.

</RANT>

This attitude makes me cringe. You'd swear students/graduates are gods that are going to fix the country out of the goodness of their heart.

While I think RAG week is over exaggerated, your not going to drum up any sympathy by pointing out their future unemployment when there's already 400,000 others already there.
    Graduates work to get paid lots of money and spend it on expensive things, not to repair the country for the common good. If anything, many will emigrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

I live in Dún and there's been no problems whatsoever.

You wouldn't call what I posted - problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Only trouble I;ve seen down around Dun Aengus Direction is a large group of students ~7 or 8 pi$$ing on the boats and finding it hilarious.
    Other than that it's been a pretty tame rag week so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

So far so good, i'm having a ball :) Making the most of it as it's my last RAG Week, except staying sober today cause i've an exam :(

Was up in Dun/Gort on Monday - it was a mess with litter... that can be cleaned up. The smashed glass was a bit idiotic alright. If the Management had any sense they'd have put big wheelie bins up as they knew the place was going to be awash with students. Everyone seemed to be havin' the craic, open houses and people having a ball.

I've been outdoors a lot since Monday morning and didn't see any fights or any of that sh1te. Granted, there are a lot of p1ss pools but fu(kit it'll be raining again soon (we're in Ireland y'know)

To the people who give out constantly, it's a week of madness, get over it.

Starie1975 wrote: »
    You wouldn't call what I posted - problems?

I'm having trouble believing your post to be honest.
    Last Tuesday morning was the first time in five years I saw him angry and upset.

You mean yesterday? Or are you actually referring to last week?

Das Kitty wrote: »
    In my day...

things were roughly the same way they are now.

I think things were wilder when I did rag week tbh.On the Monday of my first rag week in 2004 there was 3000 euro worth of drink stolen from an unmanned bar in the Radisson in the space of about an hour, it was reported at the time but there is a bigger deal being made out of nothing nowadays.

If that happened this week people would be calling for the army.
    JohnCleary wrote: »
    To the people who give out constantly, it's a week of madness, get over it.

Exactly, for the vast vast majority of goings on.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

Hyper, I take it you are working now. On Monday the crowds had left the area by 6pm, so you may have missed it all, or have a whole lot more tolerance than i do and i'm fairly tolerant of most things

• Advertisement

MattKid wrote: »
    Hyper, I take it you are working now. On Monday the crowds had left the area by 6pm, so you may have missed it all, or have a whole lot more tolerance than i do and i'm fairly tolerant of most things

Correct, however I had Monday off and did see the crowds gathered outside Cuirt during the day. Walked by the whole thing on the way to Dunnes to get shopping and had no hassle at all. Heard the occasional shout or roar around the place but it wasn't anarchy by any means.

And again, I dont condone outrageous behaviour by any means, and such behaviour should be punished. I just dont have a problem with people having a few beers around the place and enjoying the week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement