Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Students Rag Week Trouble

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

Amhran Nua wrote: »

at least they're trying to recycle their bottles after drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

To be honest I really don't know what the answer is to the trouble that is Rag week/College week.......
    Yes, there are some who look to get absolutely sh1tfaced during it and wind up causing trouble about the city but there are also those who just enjoy maybe a day or two of it and don't lose the run of themselves!!

I think even if the SU pull their support for it that it would still go ahead next year, I couldn't see the students just saying "ah well, the SU are not supporting the week so looks likes it's lectures and the library for me then......
    As far as I know the college is taking action against anyone caught up in trouble, as in expulsions e.t.c, I may be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

The Cool wrote: »
    For example, when I was in second year, we threw a party during rag week. Some people from my hometown in Donegal came down for the session - boys who weren't even in college but being given drinking money from mammy and daddy - and it was that bunch who had the least respect. They were out in the back garden late at night despite my requests to keep the noise inside, and one of them broke the mantelpiece. And it was grand for them because the next day they cleared off elsewhere and didn't have to deal with paying for replacing the marble mantelpiece or unhappy neighbours.

Pro-tip: Don't invite ****wits to your place of residence.
    This was in 2009, the year of the 40 arrests during rag week. Might I add, a high proportion of that 40 were not NUIG students. Wish I could remember the number, dammit.

If I remember correctly, one was a GMIT student and the rest were NUIG.
    Hope that helps.
    It's annoying that the media etc goes on about the bad side of rag week so much, when there's such a good side to it. This week, there are numerous charity gigs going on on campus; there's a girl locked in a box outside the college bar for the week getting her PhD done; there are students shaking buckets outside; there was a triathlon yesterday; ArtSoc are running lots of fun things to do and look at; and FilmSoc are running a film festival; and there's a skydive in Galway airport this saturday for it too. In past years we have raised €17,000, €35,000 and €20,000 for charity.

I used to put a considerable amount of effort into raising money, and would give a reasonable amount to the Rag week charities, but recently I've just stopped - I figured I was perpetuating the myth that students, on the whole were doing Rag week for the right reasons.

If I really want to donate to charity, it's not difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

And you think they'd miss one more? Contrary to what some of the ones who cause trouble believe, they'd be forgotten before the exhaust from the bus cleared. No special snowflakes here.

What are you implying with that first line?
    What annoys me the most is this attitude of entitlement, as though it was a right to tear up the town. It is not, even studying here is a privelege, and one which some people pay tens of thousands a year to enjoy. Hot on the heels of that we have the "but Galway depends on students" nonsense. You'd think they were doing us all a big favour by gracing the place with their presence, rather than receiving a high quality taxpayer funded education..

yaya entitlement and privilege you been going on about this and how truck loads of people are willing to take the posisitons, were are these people please tell me? there is a grant scheme in place for both mature students and for people with unfortune income problems. If they really want to goto college why arent they?

As always, I'm referring to the minority of troublemakers.

Oh of course, but that minority are having a great time i say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Taidgh19

just crazy culchies on a binge..most of my lectures still have people who care about their subjects still going this week..hopefully Ming can get weed legalised, that would stop people tearing up the place pretty fast lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Taidgh19

yeah students are entitled to a subsidized education (now more than ever) because once we get out of college we will be paying higher taxes, getting worse and worse public services and trying to rebuild this country...thats before the fact that the UN Declaration of human rights says that everyone is ENTITLED to an education.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭baldshin

Taidgh19 wrote: »
    thats before the fact that the UN Declaration of human rights says that everyone is ENTITLED to an education.

You didn't go to primary or secondary school then no? That's your educational rights fulfilled. 3rd level is a privelage, not an entitlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

Taidgh19 wrote: »
    yeah students are entitled to a subsidized education (now more than ever) because once we get out of college we will be paying higher taxes, getting worse and worse public services and trying to rebuild this country...thats before the fact that the UN Declaration of human rights says that everyone is ENTITLED to an education.

Ah yes, Article 26 of the UN DHR:
    UN wrote:
    (1) Everyone has the right to education. Education shall be free, at least in the elementary and fundamental stages. Elementary education shall be compulsory. Technical and professional education shall be made generally available and higher education shall be equally accessible to all on the basis of merit.
    (2) Education shall be directed to the full development of the human personality and to the strengthening of respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms. It shall promote understanding, tolerance and friendship among all nations, racial or religious groups, and shall further the activities of the United Nations for the maintenance of peace.
    (3) Parents have a prior right to choose the kind of education that shall be given to their children.

Easy there tiger - better climb on down from your ivory tower. Nothing in there that says third-level education has to be free.

I can only imagine that some parents with children at NUIG have chosen "drunken village idiot" education as is their right under sub-clause #3. Possibly with a minor in public disorder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

As far as I know the college is taking action against anyone caught up in trouble, as in expulsions
    Sounds about right, there's been an increasingly dim view taken of the behaviour of students by NUIG authorities lately. Nobody misses troublemakers. I know it was one of the penalties mentioned in response to complaints from our residents' association, although we objected to that extremity.

Hope those expelled really enjoyed rag week. And explaining why they flushed their futures to mammy afterwards.

oh we brining regulations and politics into this thread, only thing left is someone to mention War how we are lucky that we dont get drafted into the army!
    And explaining why they flushed their futures to mammy afterwards.

dont forget Daddy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Pure Sound

I would love to do a poll in the Galway City forum to see which collective group of people are hated the most here

1. Students
    2. Non-National Taxi Drivers
    3. Hippies

I reckon it would be a close call with the top two for reasons we all know from recent threads :pac:

Stop the hatin people :cool:

I would love to do a poll in the Galway City forum to see which collective group of people are hated the most here

1. Students
    3. Hippies

I reckon it would be a close call with the top two for reasons we all know from recent threads :pac:

Dont forget Galway alliance against war crowd or whatever.

Ah sure its all a seasonal thing, students wont be brought up again till this time next year, next thread will be paddy's day and then what ever festival etc etc, Im just having a laugh, I dont do rag week, in college for last 3 years went drinking Monday of the first rag week was ok, but to much ****ing idiots and people wanting to just get drunk haven't been part of it yet.

dont like drinking much, just messing around on this thread as its fun to annoy people who take it so seriously!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

its grand taking the piss on this thread but some people here have had to deal with these people first hand.

I thought RAG week was stopped last year?!

Im all for expelling the trouble makers.
    If that fails they should call the whole thing off.
    That will show the few who have ruined it for the many.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

barryd09 wrote: »
    the people of fairlands and hazel park etc are IMO faaaaaaar too soft.
    i would absolutley HOUND the landlords of the houses where the students causing trouble are living.
    Not to be a total pr1ck to all the good students of Galway, but I hear reporting the students to NUIG itself works absolute wonders...

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭drum!

Columc wrote: »
    just messing around on this thread as its fun to annoy people who take it so seriously!

Good man Colum. Mods will love that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 fudgie101

Galway is smalltown!

drum! wrote: »
    Good man Colum. Mods will love that.

damn right! sure same things get repeated here post after post.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Pure Sound

skelliser wrote: »
    its grand taking the piss on this thread but some people here have had to deal with these people first hand.

I thought RAG week was stopped last year?!

Im all for expelling the trouble makers.
    If that fails they should call the whole thing off.
    That will show the few who have ruined it for the many.

I agree with you that troublemakers should be dealt with accordingly but the over-reactions here are crazy. Rag week has always been an insane week in Galway but people here are claiming that they are holyer then thou and that in there day it wasn't like that. It always was mad its just getting more media attention and higher numbers attending now. More people means a higher number of idiots but the percentage of idiots is still relatively low.

The college tried to confine ragweek to the college and do not support any events that are organised outside of the college as far as I know. It would be impossible to call off at this stage and an outright ban would only cause more illegal activity due to badly organised events.

I accept that some people are genuinely going through annoyances at the moment and I feel for them. The rest seem to be moaning because that is what they are good at though.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭samdeman

1. Students
    3. Hippies

those dreadlocked mexican taxidrivers studying in the university really annoy me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

why go baloobas on rag week but just go on the piss after the exams?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

The college tried to confine ragweek to the college and do not support any events that are organised outside of the college as far as I know. It would be impossible to call off at this stage and an outright ban would only cause more illegal activity due to badly organised events.

I accept that some people are genuinely going through annoyances at the moment and I feel for them. The rest seem to be moaning because that is what they are good at though.[/QUOTE]

enlighten me, who is organising events outside the college?
    perhaps one of the reasons why rag week is such mayhem/craic in galway is that the place is so compact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Columc wrote: »
    Dont forget Galway alliance against war crowd or whatever.

Don't worry they fall under the hippy category.

DRakE wrote: »
    aye lets bring back segregation, don't let them on buses either

Humm I like the cut of your jib, tell me more.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

NUIG RAG WEEK!! LEGENDS!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5 frank50

What insecurities did your aul lad have if he felt the need to take it out on his child?

I'm not saying parents should knock the living daylights out of their children just for the sake of it. A few firm slaps that will hurt and teach the child to be more obedient when they are misbehaving. The biggest mistake ever made was taking away the school cane.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Have they burnt down the city yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

fruvai wrote: »
    A drunk girl offered me a menage-a-trois with her and her pal on the way home Monday evening :D

I really have to get out more!

cerebus wrote: »
    Ah yes, Article 26 of the UN DHR:

Easy there tiger - better climb on down from your ivory tower. Nothing in there that says third-level education has to be free.

I can only imagine that some parents with children at NUIG have chosen "drunken village idiot" education as is their right under sub-clause #3. Possibly with a minor in public disorder.

And article 42 in Bunreacht Na hÉireann.
    Education
    Article 42
    1. The State acknowledges that the primary and natural
    educator of the child is the Family and guarantees to respect
    the inalienable right and duty of parents to provide, according
    to their means, for the religious and moral, intellectual,
    physical and social education of their children.
    2. Parents shall be free to provide this education in their homes
    or in private schools or in schools recognised or established by
    the State.
    3. 1° The State shall not oblige parents in violation of their
    conscience and lawful preference to send their children to
    schools established by the State, or to any particular type of
    school designated by the State.
    2° The State shall, however, as guardian of the common
    good, require in view of actual conditions that the
    children receive a certain minimum education, moral,
    intellectual and social.
    4. The State shall provide for free primary education and shall
    endeavour to supplement and give reasonable aid to private
    and corporate educational initiative, and, when the public
    good requires it, provide other educational facilities or
    institutions with due regard, however, for the rights of
    parents, especially in the matter of religious and moral
    formation.
    5. In exceptional cases, where the parents for physical or moral
    reasons fail in their duty towards their children, the State as
    guardian of the common good, by appropriate means shall
    endeavour to supply the place of the parents, but always with
    due regard for the natural and imprescriptible rights of the
    child.

not one mention of even secondary education.

Have they burnt down the city yet?

Only about half so far.
    It's not too bad during the day but at night they come...

Judging by the advertiser they nest in dun na corribe, so we need to nuke it, preferably from orbit.

College week war zone at dun na coiribe

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

15 Students arrested following another bad night for residents in various estates in Galway City, its not a joke anymore.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/18084-15-arrests-city-public-order

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Nice big bonfire about two feet away from a house:

And then they tried to bottle the fire brigade.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement