Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Students Rag Week Trouble

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Storm 10

What estate was that fire in, would not like to be in any of the houses next door with small kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Storm 10 wrote: »
    What estate was that fire in, would not like to be in any of the houses next door with small kids.
    Gort na Coiribe I think, which is a residential estate as far as I know.

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    Gort na Coiribe I think, which is a residential estate as far as I know.

That fire is surrounded by student accommodation its not bothering other residents.

The only problem I see there is the fire is a bit close to the house, but its probably not as close as it looks. There is no law in this country about gathering in groups its not fecking Libya.

The whole rag week is being blown completely out of proportion by a few people who dont know the meaning of a bit of craic, even some of the things like being bumped into and shouting etc I would accepted it as a given when you have so many people partaking there will always be some of that I would overlook it tbh.

For fecks sake the lad in the article linked on the last page talking about moving because there is a bit of noise and groups gathering for 4 days in the year, you would swear he was living in Baghdad.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭drum!

That fire is surrounded by student accommodation its not bothering other residents.

You've gone around and canvassed the surrounding residents for their feelings then have you?!

The only problem I see there is the fire is a bit close to the house, but its probably not as close as it looks. There is no law in this country about gathering in groups its not fecking Libya.

The whole rag week is being blown completely out of proportion by a few people who dont know the meaning of a bit of craic, even some of the things like being bumped into and shouting etc I would accepted it as a given when you have so many people partaking there will always be some of that I would overlook it tbh.

For fecks sake the lad in the article linked on the last page talking about moving because there is a bit of noise and groups gathering for 4 days in the year, you would swear he was living in Baghdad.

Sorry but this is OUR city, not these little blow in red-necks.

They think they can do as they please..... off back to their own one horse town if they want to be at that ****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

Sorry but this is OUR city, not these little blow in red-necks.

They think they can do as they please..... off back to their own one horse town if they want to be at that ****

Well said gilberto-eire there are more people than students living there and its unacceptable to put a fire that big at the back of the house, they dont own the house what happens if it went up destroying the lives and belongings of residents and "Students", the only way to stop this is for the University to have full classes when ever this vandalism event is due to take place next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

The only problem I see there is the fire is a bit close to the house, but its probably not as close as it looks..

From the audio in that clip, it didn't sound like other residents were too happy - other STUDENT residents. Not every student is up for this messin', never mind non students!

AFAIK bonfires ARE illegal in city limits too. (Which is a pity, because a well organised safe one is great, but it's because of messers like the ones in the clip that this law was brought in). The bonfire was not under control, and was way too near that house. And did the actual owners of the house light the fire or are they just residents? If the latter, this is destroying other people's property and is way out of order. Yes, it isn't all students, and yes, some people are sensationalising stuff they haven't seen, but between clips and what I have seen in town this week for myself, there are a very sizeable minority behaving like a**holes, and they need to be dealt with, as the whole student population, unfortunately, is being seen as this.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

There are some children, albeit not many, and quite a few professional couples living there. It's not ALL students.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

Have people always done the whole bonfire during RAG week? there has been so much mentions of bonfires this week and I never heared of it befor.

I know I was messing about eralier in the thread. But it is true, the amount of idiotic behaviour people are doing during rag week is incrediable!

I dont see a problem with people up for the craic and going drinking over the week, but the behaviour they have been doing so is moronic! I really hope the college enforces a discplinary action of expolsin to the arrested people if they attend NUIG and any other college. Over the last 4 years RAG week in Galway has gotten out of control and now people think they have free control of what they can do over this week with not action taken against them.

inisboffin wrote: »

AFAIK bonfires ARE illegal in city limits too.

Residents of castlepark etc obviously never heard of the rule either.

I don't know whats wrong with people, I'm sitting here in an office looking out at a nice sunny day and thinking how great it would be to be doing rag week, sitting outside drinking away for the day.

I will have to make up for it at the weekend I suppose.

• Advertisement

I don't know whats wrong with people, I'm sitting here in an office looking out at a nice sunny day and thinking how great it would be to be doing rag week, sitting outside drinking away for the day.

What ever happened to that, Just a few cans down at spanish arch with friends relaxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

Living in Galway all my life and never before heard of bonfires associated with rag week it appears to be a new thing with them, putting Dunnes Stores trolleys on flat roofs and putting a fire in them was no fun either which is what they done in Hazel Park in Newcastle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Columc wrote: »
    What ever happened to that, Just a few cans down at spanish arch with friends relaxing.

Ahhh... Nostalgia ain't what it used to be...

Chicken1 wrote: »
    Living in Galway all my life and never before heard of bonfires associated with rag week it appears to be a new thing with them, putting Dunnes Stores trolleys on flat roofs and putting a fire in them was no fun either which is what they done in Hazel Park in Newcastle

Likewise, I have heared of the odd beach parties down claddagh beach withthe odd bonfire, but thats near the night out on the beach, and generally people dont go to crazy at them.

The trolly things is so idiotic. This is just like the opposite of Trinity, instead of seeing how much money you can spend and throwing iphones down a mountain on their skiing holliday, people during NUIG rag week see how much destruction they can cause.

note: I did not mention sutdents :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Have people always done the whole bonfire during RAG week? there has been so much mentions of bonfires this week and I never heared of it befor.

I know I was messing about eralier in the thread. But it is true, the amount of idiotic behaviour people are doing during rag week is incrediable!

I dont see a problem with people up for the craic and going drinking over the week, but the behaviour they have been doing so is moronic! I really hope the college enforces a discplinary action of expolsin to the arrested people if they attend NUIG and any other college. Over the last 4 years RAG week in Galway has gotten out of control and now people think they have free control of what they can do over this week with not action taken against them.

Dear Students

Please take seriously the attached poster. The University and the Guards will be taking any anti-social behaviour very seriously so please note:

1. Your behaviour can affect your academic career - under the Student Code of Conduct you can be penalized up to and including expulsion.

2. You can be evicted from your accommodation losing all deposits and rent due

3. If arrested you will be declined for Visas for travel.

Yours sincerely

Una McDermott

Sent out on the 23rd of last month, is it all Corrib village that goes crzy haven't heard/seen of anything mad in Dun aras.
    p.s know I'm a few years older than most of the students now, but seriously makes me wonder if I looked that retarded 6 or 7 years ago, very visible knob factor anyway compared even to normal student crowds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭EJLL

Like how in gods name is a bonfire a big deal, there are bonfires in certain estates nearly everyday of the week and its not an issue. Making big news out of this shows what over exaggerated nonsense goes on about rag week.

Jeez, you're very blasé about bonfires in estates. I would associate bonfires with a sh!thole estate.
    I don't fancy my estate or city being deemed a sh!thole.

Rag week might only occur for one week of the year but the remanence of a bonfire stays like a nasty skidmark on a homeless lads trousers. It ain't a pretty sight and it's not clever.

P.S. - However, bonfires at Halloween are a given and rightly so as its apart of our pagan culture (i'm all for it). But not during rag week perpetrated by students who dont give a toss about the city/estate that they are temporarily residing in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Residents of castlepark etc obviously never heard of the rule either.

I will have to make up for it at the weekend I suppose.

Really odd comparison. Are you saying that just because there have been illegal bonfires in Castlepark that it's ok? It's because of violent and out of hand bonfires in inappropriate places that they have gotten banned in the first place. Which can wreck Samhain/Halloween, as instead of some decent ones that people organise and clean up after, they're illegal and messy and wreck the area. :(

I'm sure a lot of us would like to be sitting out in someone's garden, enjoying the sun with a few cans - I wish the messers would do that instead of wrecking Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

I remember djing at a few house parties in GnC about 5/6 years ago and it was much different then,no badness at all,just craic!
    People crowd surfing in the kitchen and all.
    Great humour & banter with the students and zero trouble.
    I wasnt a student at the time & Im not one now either.

What the hell has changed so much??

Who is Una McDermott? I recived that email, but a lot of students will just archive it in passing and not take any notice of it and saying that the college has threated with expulsion befor, but have they actualy done it? Anbd if so they should make it more public to show the actions of it. So far I have only received two email from NUIg, one from Una and the other about the no parking and bus service for corrib village during college week.

inisboffin wrote: »
    Really odd comparison. Are you saying that just because there have been illegal bonfires in Castlepark that it's ok?

No the point I was making is bonfires are not a rare occurrence but because its rag week and students involved its being highlight in a big way here and in the media, whereas you wont have people going loop the loop every time there is a bonfire started other weeks of the year by non-students.

I'm not necessary saying that they should be lighting bonfires but I just find its a case of use anything at all to bad mouth students while a lot of what goes on rag week goes on every other week but never gets a mention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Voodoo_rasher

Fuinseog wrote: »
    Rag week was always boisterous, but it seems to have gotten out of hand in recent years. are there any reasons for this?

I live near Gort na Coiribe which used to nice until students moves in.

maybe students should be kept apart from people trying to earn a living

creche mentality which set in early 00's imho.

they're looking for the attention they never received as smaller children.
    And cut-price gargle from convenience stores

No the point I was making is bonfires are not a rare occurrence but because its rag week and students involved its being highlight in a big way here and in the media, whereas you wont have people going loop the loop every time there is a bonfire started other weeks of the year by non-students.

I'm not necessary saying that they should be lighting bonfires but I just find its a case of use anything at all to bad mouth students while a lot of what goes on rag week goes on every other week but never gets a mention.

Seriously, where do you live that you see bonfires going on every other week?..... you're talking through your behind there tbh.

Seriously, where do you live that you see bonfires going on every other week?..... you're talking through your behind there tbh.

Claddagh beach?

I live in county galway, but I'd be willing to wager there is no shortage of fires in certain rough estates around the city, there would certainly be many more throughout the year started than the few this week started by students.

Claddagh beach?

1. From what i hear, it's more a fire, then a bonfire if ya get me. :pac:

2. He's talking like he sees bonfires in the city centre, in residential estates regularly. As he's previously mentioned Castlepark, where I've only came across bonfires on Halloween.

3. Unless he goes drinking down Claddagh beach I doubt he sees them, I live in Claddagh myself and have never seen one of these beach fires(just word of mouth and pictures)
    I live in county galway, but I'd be willing to wager there is no shortage of fires in certain rough estates around the city, there would certainly be many more throughout the year started than the few this week started by students.

For one there isn't any ''rough'' area's in Galway, your talking travellers as the main ''threat'' in these area's they're more a problem when your 12(and below)

Secondly, crowds of lawless youths burning bonfires isn't what happens in this city, might happen in the more troublesome area's down Munster but you'll only see public bonfires here on Halloween.

1. From what i hear, it's more a fire, then a bonfire if ya get me. :pac:

2. He's talking like he sees bonfires in the city centre, in residential estates regularly. As he's previously mentioned Castlepark, where I've only came across bonfires on Halloween.

3. Unless he goes drinking down Claddagh beach I doubt he sees them, I live in Claddagh myself and have never seen one of these beach fires(just word of mouth and pictures)

These fires during Rag week are no way bigger then the ones in claddagh. Claddagh regulary has bonfires and have parties down there every few weeks coming the mid of the year, when its not raining.

The relax attitude of the Gardai throughout the year alowing these things happening and no gardai presense around the city is just a main factor in why RAG wek has gotten out of hand. there are other factors get me wrong but you can not say that the Galway gardai presence is terrible at nights(other then rag week)

For one there isn't any ''rough'' area's in Galway, your talking travellers as the main ''threat'' in these area's they're more a problem when your 12(and below)

I was obviously talking about estates populated by settled travellers without blatantly saying it. By the way I know galway city inside out and there are certainly parts of certain estates that could be described as rough.

I was obviously talking about estates populated by settled travellers without blatantly saying it. By the way I know galway city inside out and there are certainly parts of certain estates that could be described as rough.

So do I, I've been born and raised here my whole life.

By how rough standards usually go, there are no rough area's.
    You wouldn't walk through a lot of places in Cork, Limerick, Dublin even during day time, can't say the same about here tbh.

At any rate the original point was regular bonfires in these area's and they don't happen, which I'm sure plenty of others who live in these area's will confirm.

Secondly, crowds of lawless youths burning bonfires isn't what happens in this city, might happen in the more troublesome area's down Munster but you'll only see public bonfires here on Halloween.

ninja edit from your part.

your second part is wrong, cause its oviouse that there is a crowd of lawless youths burning bonfires, and these public fires arent just limited to halloween, no doubt you havent driven around galway around 2:30 at night. Last few years there has always been massive trouble with bonfires and burnt out cars around Barna back roads which in turn would set the fields on fire and have massive trouble with the fire brigade. Get your facts right befor you start

1) accusing that there is no bonfires around glawy other then halloween
    2)start insulting and sladnering diffrent areas of ireland
    3)Actualy step outside Galway city after 2:30

and thats just the barna side of galway which is not rough at all!

• Advertisement

ninja edit from your part.

your second part is wrong, cause its oviouse that there is a crowd of lawless youths burning bonfires, and these public fires arent just limited to halloween, no doubt you havent driven around galway around 2:30 at night. Last few years there has always been massive trouble with bonfires and burnt out cars around Barna back roads which in turn would set the fields on fire and have massive trouble with the fire brigade. Get your facts right befor you start

1) accusing that there is no bonfires around glawy other then halloween
    2)start insulting and sladnering diffrent areas of ireland
    3)Actualy step outside Galway city after 2:30

and thats just the barna side of galway which is not rough at all!

Your changing the context of my point.

I was talking to the other poster about ''locations in the city centre'', he seems to think people reg' burn bonfires in town.

What has a fire on the backroad of Barna got to do with me saying there are none burned in area's like Westside/Castlepark frequently?... when did I mention anything about the county?

so.....

1. There aren't.... IN THE CITY IN RESIDENTIAL AREA'S

2. Come off it, where did i ''slander'' area's of Ireland :rolleyes:, I made the point Galways safer then the other 3 main cities.... how dare I claim this city is safer then others... shame on me :rolleyes:

3. Don't need too because..?.... I NEVER MENTIONED ANYWHERE OUTSIDE OF THE CITY WHICH WAS MY MAIN POINT.

Maybe you should read my post, and the other guys posts more carefully before jumping the gun and having a go at me for stuff I didn't even say... you do realise my posts were in relation to another users and not yours.... right?? :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement