Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Students Rag Week Trouble

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

I'm living in Gort and its absolute hell, my house seemed to be an entrance into the row of gardens where the bonfire was. I'll never be as glad to see this week over and back to some normality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

At any rate the original point was regular bonfires in these area's and they don't happen, which I'm sure plenty of others who live in these area's will confirm.
    There used to be a some in a neighbouring estate, but that was put a stop to.

And even they weren't stupid enough to try building a bonfire a few feet from the back of a house. And then attack the fire brigade when they came to deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

1. There aren't.... IN THE CITY IN RESIDENTIAL AREA'S

3. Don't need too because..?.... I NEVER MENTIONED ANYWHERE OUTSIDE OF THE CITY WHICH WAS MY MAIN POINT.

Maybe you should read my post, and the other guys posts more carefully before jumping the gun and having a go at me for stuff I didn't even say... you do realise my posts were in relation to another users and not yours.... right?? :confused:

http://i51.tinypic.com/2s10pr4.jpg

these places are inside the City border.

therefore your argument is invalid as I am correct!

Columc wrote: »
    http://i51.tinypic.com/2s10pr4.jpg

these places are inside the City border.

therefore your argument is invalid as I am correct!

Right..... :confused:

Barna is in COUNTY Galway.

You stated the back roads of Barna, which would be up towards the Golf club. All of that is still Co.Galway.

You can clearly see from that map that city boundaries stop at Cappagh which is a good bit from Barna.

Your trying to twist it now that it's the parts of the backroads that cling to the city limits by MM's and which to everyone would be known as K'carra.

You never stated which backroads, just Barna....

Again it's all irrelevant, I never stated bonfires don't happen in secluded area's, I said bonfires don't happen in ''RESIDENTIAL ESTATES'' (WHERE HOUSES ARE GROUPED TOGETHER) in the city centre.

Therefore your argument is wrong and i am correct :rolleyes:

You can clearly see from that map that city boundaries stop at Cappagh which is a good bit from Barna.

No the boundaries stop inbetween the al road and cappagh. Cappagh is right infront of it and people who lived here befor the celtic tiger would consider barna as their address and a lot of people would have it on their address, that that can be considerd as a back road, i never expalined how far back ;) And the backroads of rahoon as well i say would be considered with bonfires who knows

Your trying to twist it now that it's the parts of the backroads that cling to the city limits by MM's and which to everyone would be known as K'carra.

K town boys :)
    You never stated which backroads, just Barna....

true
    Again it's all irrelevant, I never stated bonfires don't happen in secluded area's, I said bonfires don't happen in ''RESIDENTIAL ESTATES'' (WHERE HOUSES ARE GROUPED TOGETHER) in the city centre.

but they do they are happening in gort right now! and there have been oter cases of bonfires occuring around galway estates in the past, granted these arent regular events but by the standards of RAG week in a whole, these bonfires only occured this week.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

On the R.T.E news now, one reporter said he thought he had seen it all when he was in Baghdad:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Report on the 6 o clock news just now. Some lad going on about how it's a release from 'all the stress' they go through during the college year. Made me chuckle that did.. :)

Kazooie wrote: »
    Report on the 6 o clock news just now. Some lad going on about how it's a release from 'all the stress' they go through during the college year. Made me chuckle that did.. :)

Are you saying there is not a lot of stress involved in doing a course in college, because at times there certainly is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Are you saying there is not a lot of stress involved in doing a course in college, because at times there certainly is.

Stress is for the incompetent students.

If you do the work you will know your stuff and there will be no stress come exam time or project deadlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Are you trying to justify chaos because of 'stress'? :D
    Am i right in thinking exams havent even started yet?
    Also,id imagine if rte went around asking students what RAG stands for alot wouldnt know!

• Advertisement

Stress is for the incompetent students.

If you do the work you will know your stuff and there will be no stress come exam time or project deadlines.

Your talking absolute and utter nonsense, yes you can be well prepared but there will always be stress with exams and important deadlines, especially in 3rd and 4th year.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Not at all but compared to working in the real world it's a piece of piss. And yes I did go and graduate with a degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

in all fairness the stress in college is nothing compared to the working life and other stuff that lies ahead of you.

Listen, there has been alot of trouble this week, its simply not on

As stated before these people that go overboard ruin it for everyone and result in stricter enforcement from the gards.
    throwing bottles at the fire brigade ffs!! that **** only happens in the worst estates in belfast!

RAG week in the last 4 years has gotten out of hand, simple as.

why has this happened?

imo spoilt celtic cubs who never knew the word no, massive sense of entitlement and zero respect for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Your talking absolute and utter nonsense, yes you can be well prepared but there will always be stress with exams and important deadlines, especially in 3rd and 4th year.

So by that reasoning...Masters & Phd students should all be murdering people?
    Eh no,they are all working hard & studying.
    The 3rd & 4th years should know ****ing better than to be at this ****,really this is 1st & 2nd year behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭liz2000

WE USED TO LIVE IN LURGAN PARK AND IT WAS A NIGHTMARE WITH THE STUDENTS, AGAIN NOT ALL OF THEM, BUT THE ONES LIVING BESIDE US WERE REALLY LOUD, AND ALWAYS SEEMED TO BE ON THE PISS,,,, NEVER LISTENED TO ME WHEN I ASKED THEM TO KEEP IT DOWN, THEY USED TO WAKE UP MY DAUGHTER ALL THE TIME, I COULDNT WAIT TO MOVE AND THANK GOD I DID, I HAVE SINCE HEARD FROM SOME OF MY OLD NEIGHBOURS THERE THAT ITS EVEN WORSE NOW, FEW CARS DAMAGED AND THAT, I WOULD LOSE THE HEAD IF I STILL LIVED THERE,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Sorry, but this post made me crack up! :D:D:D

You haven't a clue what real stress is... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

flynnlives wrote: »
    in all fairness the stress in college is nothing compared to the working life and other stuff that lies ahead of you.

It is pretty widely accepted that important exams are one of the most stressful things you can do. Mess up final college exams and it can have a major effect on your future.
    barryd09 wrote: »
    So by that reasoning...Masters & Phd students should all be murdering people?
    Eh no,they are all working hard & studying.
    The 3rd & 4th years should know ****ing better than to be at this ****,really this is 1st & 2nd year behaviour.

I am a phD student ;) and I can tell you that 3rd and 4th year exams were as stressful as what I'm doing now, no doubt there are stressful times at the moment and finishing up the phD will be very stressful with the thesis, viva etc but anytime I hear of someone doing exams I think of what hell they were and I am very glad to not have to do them anymore.

Basically you have no idea what your talking about.
    Zzippy wrote: »
    Sorry, but this post made me crack up! :D:D:D

You haven't a clue what real stress is... :rolleyes:

How the hell do you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Herself & myself went out for a rare meal at Scottys on Tuesday night. Surveying the area on our walk into the estate all I'll say is those students need to be taken someplace and given an education on manners and respect. Not that they'll ever give a toss but they're an utter disgrace.

The future of Ireland. God help us all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

It is pretty widely accepted that important exams are one of the most stressful things you can do. Mess up final college exams and it can have a major effect on your future.

I am a phD student ;) and I can tell you that 3rd and 4th year exams were as stressful as what I'm doing now, no doubt there are stressful times at the moment and finishing up the phD will be very stressful with the thesis, viva etc but anytime I hear of someone doing exams I think of what hell they were and I am very glad to not have to do them anymore.

Lots of people go through serious stress at various times of their lives, and don't feel the need to wreck the town as a consequence. Likewise, it is true that rag week used to be a lot tamer, and the students back then went through no less stress. Nor the students in other towns and cities that don't behave like rag week is a prison riot.

Too many of these students apparently believe that freedom is the same thing as licence. It is not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

ronnie3585, don't post in this thread again.

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    Lots of people go through serious stress at various times of their lives, and don't feel the need to wreck the town as a consequence. Likewise, it is true that rag week used to be a lot tamer, and the students back then went through no less stress. Nor the students in other towns and cities that don't behave like rag week is a prison riot.

Too many of these students apparently believe that freedom is the same thing as licence. It is not.

I have gone of topic in fairness and was arguing that college can be stressful rather than stress is a right to cause trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

I have gone of topic in fairness and was arguing that college can be stressful rather than stress is a right to cause trouble.

Don't worry, most of us understood what you meant:)

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

liz2000 wrote: »
    WE USED TO LIVE IN LURGAN PARK AND IT WAS A NIGHTMARE WITH THE STUDENTS...

Can you please turn your caps lock off liz2000, it makes what you are saying difficult to read?

The main difference I notice between Rag Week in Galway, where I have worked and used to live in the main student area, and UL, where I went to college, is that students in Galway are living right next door to ordinary residents. In UL, at least the time I was there up until 3 years ago, the huge majority of houses near the college were student occupied only.

Galway seems to have gotten this rep for being the Rag Week for everyone to go to - my brother is living in Kerry on work exp and all of his 5 housemates have decamped to Galway for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

For a Phd student you have an awful sheltered view of the world. What's the worst that can happen to you? You'll have to revise your thesis or apply for an extension? Your 3rd or 4th year exams might need to be retaken? (I had to do that and it wasn't the end of the world.)

Wait until you are out in the real world and in a job where the employment and livelihoods of the people you work beside, and that of their families, are dependent on your decisions and performance. Or when the fate of millions of Euros of other people's money is in your hands. Then you'll know what real stress is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

does anyone know what happened to the students who were kicking in the doors of elderly people in Bohermore about a year ago? were they fined?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

liz2000 wrote: »
    WE USED TO LIVE IN LURGAN PARK AND IT WAS A NIGHTMARE WITH THE STUDENTS, AGAIN NOT ALL OF THEM, BUT THE ONES LIVING BESIDE US WERE REALLY LOUD, AND ALWAYS SEEMED TO BE ON THE PISS,,,, NEVER LISTENED TO ME WHEN I ASKED THEM TO KEEP IT DOWN, THEY USED TO WAKE UP MY DAUGHTER ALL THE TIME, I COULDNT WAIT TO MOVE AND THANK GOD I DID, I HAVE SINCE HEARD FROM SOME OF MY OLD NEIGHBOURS THERE THAT ITS EVEN WORSE NOW, FEW CARS DAMAGED AND THAT, I WOULD LOSE THE HEAD IF I STILL LIVED THERE,

if you have noisy neighbours there is little that you can do.

For a Phd student you have an awful sheltered view of the world. What's the worst that can happen to you? You'll have to revise your thesis or apply for an extension? Your 3rd or 4th year exams might need to be retaken? (I had to do that and it wasn't the end of the world.)

Wait until you are out in the real world and in a job where the employment and livelihoods of the people you work beside, and that of their families, are dependent on your decisions and performance. Or when the fate of millions of Euros of other people's money is in your hands. Then you'll know what real stress is.

There were no repeat exams in my course, there was a possibility that you may have been allowed to repeat the whole year and pay the thousands to do so.

Personally I find things that effect me and my own future career quite stressful, you have to look out for yourself first at the end of the day.

On the R.T.E news now, one reporter said he thought he had seen it all when he was in Baghdad:rolleyes:

http://www.rte.ie/news/av/2011/0303/6news.html# 35 mins in

all was reported was some screaming and glass bottles being broken and a elderly man in a wheelchair to get sympity... In all fairness not that bad, would see worse on other Days or certain weeks.

Like everyone else have said its a minority of people and non students causing the hassle. if a student gets arrested expel them that simple!

More gardai beatings as well! show whos the boss around here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

You do have a point with your second paragraph but it's worth bearing in mind that the stress people undergo and how they react to it is also affected by their life experience. For a typical student who doesn't have life experience beyond institutional education the level of stress might just be the most they have ever experienced and their coping mechanisms are stretched dealing with that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement