Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Students Rag Week Trouble

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Ficheall wrote: »
    Exactly. They were only pelting a few empties at the fire brigade when they arrived to put out the fire. No harm done, sure.

No harm done.....anybody who pelts anything towards a member of any Emergency Service Person or Vehicle is a scumbag. Who do you call if you get burgled or your house goes in flames..

fvcking scum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

99% sure there were no attacks on the emergency services as they'd be only too happy to say so to the papers themselves if there was.
    Plus if you threw a bottle at the cops they'd beat up everyone and their granny in a 200 yard radius.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

Steyr wrote: »
    No harm done.....anybody who pelts anything towards a member of any Emergency Service Person or Vehicle is a scumbag. Who do you call if you get burgled or your house goes in flames..

fvcking scum.

Think thats called sarcasm there buddy!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Fuinseog wrote: »
    if you have noisy neighbours there is little that you can do.

Me and Mr 440 stainless katana would beg to differ.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Me and Mr 440 stainless katana would beg to differ.

Straight to violence typical attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

My ex was a Phd student in NUI doing Psychology...about as stressful as realizing your bread has gone off...that is to say not stressful at all. I've known other Phd students too...it's as stressful as the person makes it on themselves...Irish universities/colleges are a joke!

Also down with RAG week...the post about celtic cubs was a good one...It's the fact these people causing the trouble walk around with some unearned sense of entitlement. W**kers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

My wife and I rented out our house. It costs us money. Certainly no profit centre. Our previous tenants moved for several reasons accusing us of being hard on them, being one, despite an offer of a rent reduction and an offer to pay part of the utility bills. They were ill advised. Today we I drove to their new house to show my wife. Two doors away a bunch of students were sitting on the roof drinking. Their next door neighbours are students too. We did a u turn in the next street, it looked like a riot was ongoing. We got out fast.

My wife, who is a lovely soft hearted woman, laughed.

Thank you students, but you are a bunch of hooligans.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    ...Irish universities/colleges are a joke!

Care to elaborate on that nonsensical statement?

Care to elaborate on that nonsensical statement?

clown college?
    Wompa1 wrote: »
    .Irish universities/colleges are a joke!

compared to American college were your allowed to bring in "cheat sheets" into exams?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

does anyone know what happened to the students who were kicking in the doors of elderly people in Bohermore about a year ago? were they fined?

ya!!!what happened there??students not exactly showering themselves in greatness recently are they??
    if you have noisy neighbours there is little that you can do.

i think you'll find its a long and laborious task but there is PLENTY you can do if your neighbours are noisy.
    Columc wrote: »

Like everyone else have said its a minority of people and non students causing the hassle. if a student gets arrested expel them that simple!

i agree with the arrest = expulsion plan.

those youtube videos from this year and last years RAG week ****ehawking would suggest (to me anyhow) going by the numbers in the videos that theres more than just "a few" causing the trouble.
    im not for one second saying its EVERY student but its hardly the one core group causing shíte in GnC AND hazel park/fairlands park AND corrib village AND in town,all simultaneously now is it??

barryd09 wrote: »

those youtube videos from this year and last years RAG week ****ehawking would suggest (to me anyhow) going by the numbers in the videos that theres more than just "a few" causing the trouble.

All thats in them videos is a bit of eejitin, classing them as "trouble" completely confirms to me the extent of exaggeration that goes on about bad things during rag week.

All thats in them videos is a bit of eejitin, classing them as "trouble" completely confirms to me the extent of exaggeration that goes on about bad things during rag week.

but do you not see that its not how normal people behave?
    just because its RAG week there should be some sort of a carte blanche for behaving like that?

but do you not see that its not how normal people behave?
    just because its RAG week there should be some sort of a carte blanche for behaving like that?

Hanging out in a crowd having a few drinks, having the craic and as a bit of a game see if you can though your bottle into the bin. Serious crimes against humanity there alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Columc wrote: »
    clown college?

compared to American college were your allowed to bring in "cheat sheets" into exams?

Just because you were allowed to bring in cheat sheets Colum doesn't mean everyone else was, sure it was only Clarkson!:pac:

Didn't head out myself this week, don't see the fun in Rag Week at all, haven't in years, town back to normal tomorrow though so hopefully Cut/Copy should be a bit of craic

Hanging out in a crowd having a few drinks, having the craic and as a bit of a game see if you can though your bottle into the bin. Serious crimes against humanity there alright.

i wouldnt say lobbing a few bottles into a bin is a crime,lighting a fire so close to a house with other houses so close is rather stupid.also smashing up a couch from rental property is criminal damage.
    being drunk in public is also an offence.
    drinking in a public place is an offence.
    roaring and shouting in a public place can also land you in court.

see,this is all happening in public places.if ye all stayed on NUIG's property and did this there wouldnt be a problem,when youre all over the place it gets in normal peoples faces,people going about their own business & who dont want to be intimidated or infact face any agro.

just wondering,next week,will ye all go back to being relatively normal law-abiding people?

again,just because its RAG week,its ok?is that what youre saying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    99% sure there were no attacks on the emergency services as they'd be only too happy to say so to the papers themselves if there was.
    Er, they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

see,this is all happening in public places.if ye all stayed on NUIG's property and did this there wouldnt be a problem,when youre all over the place it gets in normal peoples faces,people going about their own business & who dont want to be intimidated or infact face any agro.

just wondering,next week,will ye all go back to being relatively normal law-abiding people?

again,just because its RAG week,its ok?is that what youre saying?

Doesnt this sound a lot like race week (or come to that most saturday nights on Eyre Square)?

By the way am not a student and think what they are doing highlights to me the fact that Irish kids (as they cant be called adults) go to University at least a year too early and dont have a lot of cop on in the real world

Didn't head out myself this week, don't see the fun in Rag Week at all, haven't in years, town back to normal tomorrow though so hopefully Cut/Copy should be a bit of craic

Ya but this is what your 6th RAG week? :rolleyes:
    Just because you were allowed to bring in cheat sheets Colum doesn't mean everyone else was, sure it was only Clarkson!

Most colleges around America doing a undergrad your allowed cheat sheets, Know people in NYU/Harvey Mudd say they bring in cheat sheets, so meh

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I look forward to the post which you will make during Race Week 2011 making the same point as above. As said above, the above happens during Race Week. During Race Week I have also seen people p1ssing/puking in public. The only difference I see is that during Race Week these people are usually in their 30's and wearing cheap suits, but I guess it's acceptable, cause y'know, these are adults with jobs!!

I had a great RAG week, it's the first time i've ever been up at 9am every morning for college :D I'm feckin' wrecked but this is my last burst of drinkin' before the exams so 'meh'

• Advertisement

I see we have gone full circle going back to rag week vs race week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

I got bored on page two with all the whinging and complaining. There must be 20 - 30 thousand students in this city. Once a year a handful of those have a fire and break a few beer bottles and the whole city goes ape****. This isn't news worthy. All those complaining about the noise in your estate, complain to the landlords or live somewhere else. You chose to buy or rent in studentville. Live with it.

And sure aren't they entitled to get drunk, get naked and have a laugh. They're young. Those of you that didn't do that stuff missed out.

This city thrives on the student population, without it there'd be no jobs and less craic. Yes, one or two are assholes but tens of thousands aren't so stop tarring them all with the same brush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

dafunk wrote: »
    I got bored on page two with all the whinging and complaining. There must be 20 - 30 thousand students in this city. Once a year a handful of those have a fire and break a few beer bottles and the whole city goes ape****. This isn't news worthy. All those complaining about the noise in your estate, complain to the landlords or live somewhere else. You chose to buy or rent in studentville. Live with it.

And sure aren't they entitled to get drunk, get naked and have a laugh. They're young. Those of you that didn't do that stuff missed out.

This city thrives on the student population, without it there'd be no jobs and less craic. Yes, one or two are assholes but tens of thousands aren't so stop tarring them all with the same brush.

So "tens of thousands" are currently "missing out", presumably...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭996tt

i wouldnt say lobbing a few bottles into a bin is a crime,

Littering is

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

Just saw the Galway advertiser. Seems like it was more than a handful having a quiet party! I stand by my point though that people are making too big a deal about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

996tt wrote: »
    Littering is

How does it bother you? The particular video of students lobbing bottles into the wheelie bin was taken on private property so essentially nobody's business except the tenants and the management.

I see people litter on a daily basis (which is disgusting) - it doesn't take RAG week to make news out of this.

dafunk makes a good point above. Loads of residents in Dun/Gort/Whatever na Corribe complaining about students - WTF do you expect moving into a student village? It'd be like moving into an estate in the hole of Limerick and complaining about the anti-social behaviour/horses trotting about the place. Idiocy of the highest order imho

JohnCleary wrote: »
    It'd be like moving into an estate in the hole of Limerick and complaining about the anti-social behaviour/horses trotting about the place. Idiocy of the highest order imho

I moved into a house boat! I was disgusted/annoyed that no one informed me that it was on water!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭DeadMoney

I don't see why people even bother complaining to be honest. The geographic region of Galway just attracts a lot of mental young people as they are from places like Mayo, Offaly, Clare etc. I lived in Dun na Corrib for a year as well as living in University campus in Dublin and I can fully testify to the difference in the type of students you will encounter. Galway (particularly GMIT) is full of lunatics who go completely nuts on booze, its just in their nature, they are wild people. They don't call it 'the wild west' for nothing.

You get wild students everywhere but there are just far more on average in Galway, and many of them are simply a different breed of wild. Yes they may also be complete idiots too but when you have thousands of these testosterone pumped country bucks all trying to out do one another you are going to get Mayhem!! Factor this in with the hundreds upon hundreds of other students/young people who travel to Galway just to take part in this festival of rowdiness and you can see why it creates hell for the emergency forces and local residents. Its tradition at this stage and I don't see how anything can really be done to end it as students will always create their unofficial rag week. But I think cops definitely need to be tough on the louts that are out breaking up pavements in Eyre Square and setting fire to stuff. These guys should be all brought up in court and made face heavy fines & maybe this will send a message that students do not have 'free run' to do what ever they like in Galway during this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Who will clean up after this lot made s*** of the place? someone who never got the opportunity to go to college no doubt!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

dafunk wrote: »
    I got bored on page two with all the whinging and complaining.
    Maybe you should have perused the other sixteen pages before throwing in your tuppence, so.
    DeadMoney wrote:
    I don't see how anything can really be done to end it as students will always create their unofficial rag week
    Expulsions upon conviction for offences, thousand euro fines if you are identified at one of these "events", marks on permanent records, mandatory lectures and exams during "college week", roll calls, and thats just from some of the suggestions in this thread. Students are guests in this city, and if troublemakers want to tear the place up, nobody needs to tolerate them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement