Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem - Mould around Window Frame?

• 01-03-2011 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Hi All,

I've been having an ongoing problem with what I think is mould forming around the window frames in the bedroom and en-suite bathroom. I've recently resealed and the mould is starting to form again.

I leave the window vents open all the time, leave the window open ajar during the day and run an extractor fan when having showers. I have also added in extra ventilation in the bedroom by means of a vent which is left open all the time.

I attach some pics of the damage.

Is it possible to cut out the sealent and start again or what would work going forward to clean this up completely and solve my problem?

I have already had to fork out for a new roller blind in the bedroom as it was destroyed and don't want the same thing happening again.

100_0303.jpg100_0304.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

Your sealant is either silicone or acrylic and it's been overdone. Wash it down with mould and milder remover, then cut away as much excess as possible. I imagine the frame is well in behind the reveal. So then seal with caulk or similar. I remove all and any excess with a cloth, ensuring frame is totally clean and clear. Then paint the reveal as closely to the frame as possible, if you, covering any caulk. You could possibly undercoat with anti condensation paint for good measure.

That should sort it, majority of these fillers and sealants are not sufficiently mould resistant, if you can paint over do.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭donal2000

Thanks for the reply and information :)

Advertisement