Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "are you having a laugh" rental thread

• 01-03-2011 2:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭

I've been browsing daft for a place, hope to be moving into somewhere around May. Anyway some places just get you giggling at the prices expected!

heres one I just came across.......

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1019474

Am I missing something here? €3500 for that apt:eek:

Anyone have any more? Post them up to give us a giggle!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Dreamers ..lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

A mate was ringing about a place yesterday. He hadnt viewed it and ya man was looking for 700 euro deposit up front paid straight on to his visa and a viewing next week... he reported them to daft straight away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1018421

pretty much anything in dublin 2, 4, 6, 6w or 16 - Having a laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

That's not a bad price.

Oh, wait... that's a rent price, not a sale price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Nice place and all but 12,000 pm. http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=778256

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

It's priced that way to keep the riff-raff out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1018421

pretty much anything in dublin 2, 4, 6, 6w or 16 - Having a laugh

It's almost as if people are willing to pay more for some areas than others. Imagine that, madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭ball

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Am I the only one thats looking at those 2 examples and going "and?"

This thread is a bit like one of those "Cheryl Cole - Would ya?" threads. There are hundred of properties on Daft that are soooo bad that you think the are definitely having a laugh, and the op and another poster have picked 2 really nice places that could easily get the money they are asking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

syklops wrote: »
    Am I the only one thats looking at those 2 examples and going "and?"

This thread is a bit like one of those "Cheryl Cole - Would ya?" threads. There are hundred of properties on Daft that are soooo bad that you think the are definitely having a laugh, and the op and another poster have picked 2 really nice places that could easily get the money they are asking for.

I didn't say it wasn't a nice place, but the apt I posted is almost bog standard to other places that are going for 1500-1800 IMO, the only difference I can see is the view of the sea:confused:

• Advertisement

I didn't say it wasn't a nice place, but the apt I posted is almost bog standard to other places that are going for 1500-1800 IMO, the only difference I can see is the view of the sea:confused:

It has a view of the sea?? You never mentioned that. That explains it then. People will always pay more for a view of the sea. Fu*kit, i'd spend a bit extra if I could see the sea. Not likely of happening right now as the nearest sea is about 400 miles from here, short of another tsunami.

It has a view of the sea?? You never mentioned that. That explains it then. People will always pay more for a view of the sea. Fu*kit, i'd spend a bit extra if I could see the sea. Not likely of happening right now as the nearest sea is about 400 miles from here, short of another tsunami.

Hmm not sure if you are talking sarcastically or seriously! Would you spend 2 grand more for a view of the sea??

I was being serious. Would I pay an extra 2grand for a view of the sea. No. But some people would. its not just the sea. This is a very nice 3-bedroom apartment in Dun Laoighre. An expensive part of the world. It has dedicated transport very close and has a view of the sea. So while it is out of my price range there are many people who would happily pay that amount.

I just mean, there are so many seriously sub-standard properties out there, whose owners live in cloud cuckoo land when it comes to rent asking prices, I dont understand why you picked this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Hmm not sure if you are talking sarcastically or seriously! Would you spend 2 grand more for a view of the sea??

If I was "earning" a million quid a year, €24k for a sea view wouldn't bother me all that much.

Valuations of nice Dublin property are pushed up by the fact that much of the housing stock is dismal shíte, so you've got limited supply.

It's all about supply and demand in the market segment you're selling into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

I'd say its someone lumped with a huge mortgage, guessing they paid over 700k. Kind of sorry for them, kinda. Unless it comes with free hookers and coke it'll be empty for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭- bo -

" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

I was being serious. Would I pay an extra 2grand for a view of the sea. No. But some people would. its not just the sea. This is a very nice 3-bedroom apartment in Dun Laoighre. An expensive part of the world. It has dedicated transport very close and has a view of the sea. So while it is out of my price range there are many people who would happily pay that amount.

I just mean, there are so many seriously sub-standard properties out there, whose owners live in cloud cuckoo land when it comes to rent asking prices, I dont understand why you picked this one.

Okay well here are two similar apartments in similar areas (Dun L/Killiney)

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1015018

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=993147

I'd be way more inclined to go for one of these and saving myself 2 grand. The first one is only a 2 bed but the standard is higher IMO. That is the reason I picked this apartment. It was because I was browsing places in South Dublin and the similar places were going for 1500-1800 and this stuck out. Obviously there are sub-standard places but I wasn't referring to the quality of the apt itself, it is that the price should reflect similar apt prices.

throw up a couple of examples of what you think is taking the piss :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I've been browsing daft for a place, hope to be moving into somewhere around May. Anyway some places just get you giggling at the prices expected!

heres one I just came across.......

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1019474

Anyone have any more? Post them up to give us a giggle!
    Available to Move In: Friday, 1 April

Very apt.

Lumen wrote: »
    If I was "earning" a million quid a year, €24k for a sea view wouldn't bother me all that much.

Valuations of nice Dublin property are pushed up by the fact that much of the housing stock is dismal shíte, so you've got limited supply.

It's all about supply and demand in the market segment you're selling into.

Yeah, of course if I was earning that much I wouldn't mind either! But if you were earning enough to pay for that rent(3,500 p/m) you could find a muuuuuch nicer place in a similar! IMO If someone showed me that apartment and asked me how much it was going for I would have guessed max €2000. I understand about market segmentation, but if someone if paying this price the landlords market is "idiots".

Look at this beauty of a house and tell me the other apt is worth €250 MORE than it:

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=987720

okay that is unfurnished but still!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Yeah, of course if I was earning that much I wouldn't mind either! But if you were earning enough to pay for that rent(3,500 p/m) you could find a muuuuuch nicer place in a similar! IMO If someone showed me that apartment and asked me how much it was going for I would have guessed max €2000. I understand about market segmentation, but if someone if paying this price the landlords market is "idiots".

I lived for a few year in Richmond (SW London). There were loads of these £10k a month type furnished properties available in the celeb slums around Richmond Hill. The market is generally high level US corporate types who come over for a year or so with their families. The rent is paid for by the company.

These people want/need/expect to be put up in somewhere nice, or else they'll get no end of grief from their homesick spouse/kids. A few thousand a month is neither here nor there.

Permanent residents are more likely to buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

For 10,000 a month you can rent your own castle :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

And for another 10,000 a month you could heat it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,018 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Okay well here are two similar apartments in similar areas (Dun L/Killiney)

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1015018

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=993147

I'd be way more inclined to go for one of these and saving myself 2 grand. The first one is only a 2 bed but the standard is higher IMO. That is the reason I picked this apartment. It was because I was browsing places in South Dublin and the similar places were going for 1500-1800 and this stuck out. Obviously there are sub-standard places but I wasn't referring to the quality of the apt itself, it is that the price should reflect similar apt prices.

throw up a couple of examples of what you think is taking the piss :)

Regardless of price I thought the first apartment you posted looked the nicest. I'd feel more at home there than I would in either of the two places above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Aug2009

I think the owners are chancing their respective arms.

I bet if you cut 20% off the monthly rent price a lot of the people would bite your hand off for it.

Worth a try. Play it cool.:cool:

BTW I used to work in the property market but got out a few years back. They ALWAYS ask for more than they think they will get.

Haggle folks.:D

Currently look for a place to live and its the biggest pain in the behind ever. Saw an ad for a place yesterday that had the shower next to the stove.

Also saw quite a nice place which we nearly went for but there was just 2 electric rings and no oven. If this was China you could understand but in Europe???

Advertisement