Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 operating system best price

Options
  • 01-03-2011 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

Where is the cheapest place to buy Windows 7 operating system full one not upgrade.

Any ideas i have found one on dabs.ie for €95.78 delivered for windows 7 home

Thanks

Just spotted the above price is for oem. but would perfer the full.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Amazon seem to be the cheapest at the moment (for the OEM version)
    £72.65

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

tman wrote: »
    Amazon seem to be the cheapest at the moment (for the OEM version)
    £72.65

Oem is for system builders i cant use that its to replace vista on a laptop. but I could get around that by buying more memory if the laptop requires it. Dont have laptop yet but if it has only 2gb of ram i will upgrade the ram and get the oem so it would validate the licence that way.(well at least that was what you could do before.)

Just placed an order on Amazon (by mistake!:p) with just a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium OEM x64 in my cart

Hardly any retailers pay attention to that requirement
    Dabs are actually advertising a completely different product to the one they're selling... If you read the specs they're also selling the OEM copy, but show the retail box!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

@OP why do you need the retail version?

@OP why do you need the retail version?

Just want to be legit and not against licence terms and conditions as it is not for my computer.

• Advertisement

Try software 4 students
    Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 32 & 64
    for
    €45.45

NoDrama wrote: »
    Try software 4 students
    Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 32 & 64
    for
    €45.45

Thanks for this i know this offer but this is the upgrade one and i want a full version because i want to remove vista from the computer as its nothing but problems.

I don't understand what you are trying to do. The upgrade version is what you want to go from vista to 7 while leaving your personal files and settings intact. For a complete re-install, thus losing everything that's not backed up, then a full OEM version will do that, retail only gives you the opportunity to re-install windows on a new PC when you get rid of your current one. (you can do that with OEM too, you just have to ring them up and tell them your current machine is, em, broken*).

*Assuming it is broken, of course. ;)

I don't understand what you are trying to do. The upgrade version is what you want to go from vista to 7 while leaving your personal files and settings intact. For a complete re-install, thus losing everything that's not backed up, then a full OEM version will do that, retail only gives you the opportunity to re-install windows on a new PC when you get rid of your current one. (you can do that with OEM too, you just have to ring them up and tell them your current machine is, em, broken*).

*Assuming it is broken, of course. ;)
    I understand all that but i will have to go with the oem so its just an install a full install deleting old operating system dont want anything to do with vista.
    The cheapest way is oem and with amazon unless someone has found it cheaper.

jhud wrote: »
    Thanks for this i know this offer but this is the upgrade one and i want a full version because i want to remove vista from the computer as its nothing but problems.

How does it know that you are not upgrading from XP?

It will allow a clean install, which is always a better solution on a MS Box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

So let me get this clear-

1. You have Vista and
    2. You do want to wipe the hard drive clean and start from scratch?

You can do this with retail or OEM or upgrade.

I'd view using OEM software on a laptop as far less of a breach of the license agreement than out and out lying about being a student tbh (unless you happen to be one of course!)

As you said, just buy some extra memory or a hard drive with it if you want to justify using OEM, even though it isn't really necessary

tman wrote: »
    As you said, just buy some extra memory or a hard drive with it if you want to justify using OEM, even though it isn't really necessary
    What is that about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

What is that about?

OEM editions are supposed to be shipped with hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Moreilly

looked around for a while myself, just got free delivery of windows 7 ultimate ( full retail)from amazon.co.uk . lowest price i could find was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

This is the first time I have ever come across anyone who knows what OEM is, having a moral quandary about the possible breaching of licence agreement.....

My guess would be Microsoft would be happy to know you have not just pirated the OS.

Advertisement