If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network ready AV amp.

Options
  • 01-03-2011 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭

Hi John.

Currently have a Harmon Kardon AVR4550 I got from yourselves years ago.
    Looking to upgrade it so that I can use it as a system controller / central unit for video switching etc.
    I had my eye on the Onkyo TXNR708 you have as it seems to get good reviews and being able to connect to last.fm/network sources etc is a big plus for me.
    I notice that this years collection is network ready too however (looking at the 609). What would you advise? Is the 708 worth the difference?

Also, just on the "network ready / last.fm supported" features. How are these actually implemented? I had a look at the manual for the 708 and could see no mention of it? Is it like the Revo Heritage DAB radios method?

Cheers
    S.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The picture of the 708 on the Onkyo website shows an Ethernet socket on the back, that's probably your answer. I don't think any of the Onkyo AV units support Wi-Fi.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭shurl

Yeah network is via the ethernet port, I'm wondering how the unit handles the actual last.fm/network access functionality etc.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Have you looked at p.61 of the manual?

Yup. It describes how it handles network music just nothing about last.fm.
    Do you know if it has a native last.fm client (like the Revo Heritage) or do you just enter the direct URLs of the last.fm "stations"?

Cheers
    S.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment:

@coylemj,

I appreciate that your posts are well-intended, but please take a moment to read the Charter for this forum - you can find it here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055564744, particularly the following:
    # If you see a post which is looking for a quote or advice from RS, please resist the urge to offer your opinion ! Such queries are not an open invitation for posters to make suggestions etc, these queries should be left to RS to answer. If queries or requests for quotes attracted everyone's opinion, the forum would be unworkable. This is not intended to prevent the usual chat and banter which you will regularly see on the RS forum.

There are usually a range of discussion/query threads open in the Home Entertainment section which might benefit from a helpful hand.

Thanks,

Ritz.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

shurl wrote: »
    Hi John.

Currently have a Harmon Kardon AVR4550 I got from yourselves years ago.
    Looking to upgrade it so that I can use it as a system controller / central unit for video switching etc.
    I had my eye on the Onkyo TXNR708 you have as it seems to get good reviews and being able to connect to last.fm/network sources etc is a big plus for me.
    I notice that this years collection is network ready too however (looking at the 609). What would you advise? Is the 708 worth the difference?

Also, just on the "network ready / last.fm supported" features. How are these actually implemented? I had a look at the manual for the 708 and could see no mention of it? Is it like the Revo Heritage DAB radios method?

Cheers
    S.
    shurl,

apologies for the delay getting back to you - I have asked Dave who is our IT anorak to get back to you later today with whatever info he can dig up on the 708/609 however I'm pretty sure that neither unit has any specific 'Last FM' features - Dave will do the donkey work & report back - I do know that your HK, whilst an excellent receiver for its day is not upgradable unfortunately ( Must be about 10 years old now???)

Await further updates..

...ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Thanks John.
    No problem, I was having trouble finding actual details for this feature.
    It's listed on the site as supporting last.FM but the only mention in the specs is "Internet Radio and Music Streaming Service Connectivity (vTuner, Last.fm*, Napster*)". (the * being "Availability of services depends on region.")
    I know it is supported here as my Revo has a very good client built into it.

The HK has served me well alright! It's a very good amp but the time has come to move on!
    What's your opinion on the 708 / or the 609 you have due in?
    For the time being I'll be using the Wharfedales I bought from yourselves with the amp (Pacific Evo 8, Pacific center and a power cube sub-woofer).

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Shurl, Dave - the IT anorak here.

The Onkyo 708 does have access to last FM via the internet radio sations menu.

The stipulations are :

The unit has to be connected to the web via the enthernet connection on the rear.
    The unit has to have the latest version of the firmware (which is an online update).

Last FM then does show up as an option under the internet radio stations source and you don't need to go and find it or manually add it etc.

The only other issue that I can't find a guaranteed answer for is access to Last FM in the South. If you access the Last FM site, they provide a 30 day trial and then it's £3 per month, but the receiver does not facilitate the option for entering a username and password on the receiver so I don't know how this will know that you have an account.

It is certain that there are 708 and 808 users who own these in the South and hopefully someone who does own one picks up on this thread as I can't see how this will work.

Under the connections section of the manual it reads :

Internet Radio* Connectivity (SIRIUS Internet Radio*9/
    vTuner/Last.fm/Pandora/Rhapsody/Slacker/Mediafly/
    Napster)
    * Services available may vary depending on the region.

Sorry this isn't a definitive answer but I can confirm that the receivers are capable of picking it up and playing it, but I just can't confirm that it will work in Ireland.

ATB

Dave

Thanks Dave.

Yeah I have subscription with Last.FM and I can confirm that it does work down here. On the Revo it asks for your username/password etc.
    Would have thought that the Onkyo should too as that's the only way you can access the Last.FM service. (AFAIK!) It's probably hidden in the bowels of the menu :D

What do you think of the amps themselves? Is there much of a difference between the 708 and this years 609?

Cheers
    S.

Just got the scoop from Last.fm themselves (it seems there are few Onkyo customers who have the same issue)
    Last.fm are restricted in where they can stream the music too, this restriction is controlled both by them and the device itself. In this case Uk/US and Germany. However it's up to the manufactures implementation of the "geo restriction" that decides if you can or can't get it.
    The Onkyo range of network amps are NOT technically (it may or may not work) allowed receive Last.FM streams in Southern Ireland. (Revo don't seem to be as strict in their checks for their equipment which is why my DAB radio can get it. (I'm saying nothing to anyone! :pac:))
    However this could change in the future as they are in negotiations to expand.

I'm still interested in these amps though so if you could let me know your thoughts on them I'd appreciate it. I'm not sure if it's better to go for the 708 you have now or wait for the 609 (in April I think?) Is the 708 worth the extra few quid?

S.

• Advertisement

shurl wrote: »
    Just got the scoop from Last.fm themselves (it seems there are few Onkyo customers who have the same issue)
    Last.fm are restricted in where they can stream the music too, this restriction is controlled both by them and the device itself. In this case Uk/US and Germany. However it's up to the manufactures implementation of the "geo restriction" that decides if you can or can't get it.
    The Onkyo range of network amps are NOT technically (it may or may not work) allowed receive Last.FM streams in Southern Ireland. (Revo don't seem to be as strict in their checks for their equipment which is why my DAB radio can get it. (I'm saying nothing to anyone! :pac:))
    However this could change in the future as they are in negotiations to expand.

I'm still interested in these amps though so if you could let me know your thoughts on them I'd appreciate it. I'm not sure if it's better to go for the 708 you have now or wait for the 609 (in April I think?) Is the 708 with the extra few quid?

S.

Shurl,

we have yet to hear the new '9' series yet - I'll have to bend the ear of Onkyo to see if we can get a few samples - if I have any success I'll give you a shout with our thoughts & to see if it lives up to the '08' series which is brilliant!

ATVB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Thanks John.
    I can wait till ye get them in (just! :D)

Give us a shout when you have had a chance to see what you think of it.

Cheers!
    S.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭ablelocks

am i right in assuming that the network feature is for audio only and won't allow streaming of video from the pc / internet?

ablelocks wrote: »
    am i right in assuming that the network feature is for audio only and won't allow streaming of video from the pc / internet?

Yep Audio streaming only.

Apologies for the delay,

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.